RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine told me a funny story today.
He and two other people were training next to a new subdivision and a woman who was walking her dog called state troopers to complain some people were throwing dead ducks. The trooper arrives and approaches the three and asks if they are indeed throwing dead ducks and if so what are they doing? My friend says "officer we are not throwing dead ducks. We are throwing dead pheasants and as you can see (holding up a large white pigeon in his hand) this one is alive and is a pigeon. We are dog training."
The trooper then asks are the pheasants feral birds? (we don't have wild pheasants in Alaska). My friend refrains from saying yeah we drove to South Dakota and shot them and tells him the truth. They came from the game farm about a 45 minute drive away. Then, the trooper says, "Ok, but just make sure you don't waste the meat when you are done with them." At this point, I would have busted out laughing at the trooper, but my friend just said, "Officer, we sure won't." Now, that's an appetizing thought! YUM!!

·
Registered
261 Posts
A fellow I worked with ask me if we ate the ducks after we had trained with them . I told him most certainly because they were well aged, tenderized and we usually didn't have to pluck them. Why bother with the explanation.

·
Registered
621 Posts
An agility friend of mine who has dogs that also do herding asked me what I do with the duck meat after the dogs are done using them for retrieving. I couldn't think of a witty answer as fast as another agility friend, who claimed I donated the meat to homeless shelters.
Terri

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
This kind of stuff is what will drive the one dog amateur out of FT/HT unless they are connected enough to get on private grounds. There are more and more people watching everything we do with dogs, and then getting the police involved.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
I'm going to remember the donating the food story next time someone asks.

dawn

·
Registered
404 Posts
All of my ducks, quail, pheasant etc.. are either eaten by us if fresh and retrieved once ;) OR donated to the those in need (both "those" what? and in "need" of what need not be specified!)

·
Registered
210 Posts
Too funny! Sounds tasty after a bunch if retrieves!

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
Myself and a few folks cleaned about 100+ Chukar from a pointing dog hunt test a couple weeks ago. Made stuffed Chukar wraps. Black forest ham around slice of breast mead stuffed with cream cheese and a few jalepeno's. Toothpick em', toss on BBQ and done.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts