RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just an FYI to everyone.

As of August 1, 2011, any truck or truck trailer combo that exceeds 10,000 lbs must display a DOT #. Several reports of trainers being stopped have come to my attention in MN and this is the info we got. DOT # is no charge and if you are moving dogs across state lines, you need to register with your state DOT under the Unified Carrier Program and in MN that is a $40.00 fee for up to 2 rigs, 2 trucks or a truckk trailer combo.

MN #'s are 651-291-6150 for the federal office and 651-366-3717 for the state office that handles the Unified Carrier Program.

·
Registered
7,630 Posts
Just an FYI to everyone.

As of August 1, 2011, any truck or truck trailer combo that exceeds 10,000 lbs must display a DOT #. Several reports of trainers being stopped have come to my attention in MN and this is the info we got. DOT # is no charge and if you are moving dogs across state lines, you need to register with your state DOT under the Unified Carrier Program and in MN that is a $40.00 fee for up to 2 rigs, 2 trucks or a truckk trailer combo.

MN #'s are 651-291-6150 for the federal office and 651-366-3717 for the state office that handles the Unified Carrier Program.

Should bring this to the POTUS page and let us chew on it for a while...

·
Registered
927 Posts
I might be wrong but if they are requiring a DOT# then Commerical driver rules apply I bet you will also need
Log Books
Vehicle Inspection report
Driver Medical Card
Safety equipment
Weigh scale stops for over 10001 pound rigs
Proof of Insurance
Vehicle Registration

Always happy when Big Brother is looking out for me.
Duckdon

·
Registered
278 Posts
Since it looks like the law is almost a year old and if no one has had any trouble I am not sure if it is required. I have not had to keep up with DOT laws in a few years but thought it was only needed if you were making money hauling. I had DOT numbers on a 1/2 ton service van that by law it did not need it, but our 1 ton and 2 1/2 ton did, our company just did all trucks. at one time some of the horse people I know put Not for Hire on their trucks and that kept them from having to get a DOT number. and maybe it is different in other states.

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Should this be done in the state you live in or here in Minnesota?

Thanks, Pat
From what I was told, each state handles the Unified Carrier Program which is required if you cross state lines but the Federal DOT # comes from the feds. Each State should have a federal office. Nothing was said about log books. They are only required when you are hauling for a fee. Dog trainers are transporting client dogs for training and or testing and not shipping. This is just an FYI because of 2 cases I became aware of this past weekend. Use the info as you choose.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Since it looks like the law is almost a year old and if no one has had any trouble I am not sure if it is required. I have not had to keep up with DOT laws in a few years but thought it was only needed if you were making money hauling.
I was told that dog trucks had to have DOT numbers on the doors, etc. last year. However, on reading the requirements it is only required on trucks that are used for making money, comm'l vehicles. A friend was stopped with his dog truck in the Twin Cities. He refused to allow the DOT to inspect his truck and insisted it is his hobby truck and not used for comm'l purposes. He said that one of the officers continued to insist and finally the older of the two relented. He was not inspected and has not been stopped since. I was told to refuse the inspection and insist that the truck is for hobby and not comm'l. If we get a DOT number, then won't we be required to comply with all requirements including the log book, etc.?

·
Registered
127 Posts
MN is horrible for turining non-comercial vehicles into comercial. If you use your 10,000 lb + vehicle and trailer combo for anything one time that makes you money they call it a comercial vehicle and falls under the same laws as Semis. That cost me about $2k in fines few years ago. Picked up brand new farm pickup and gooseneck trailer, still DOT found things wrong.

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
Been through this with my crews driving to jobsites. Best thing you can do is to NOT have any logo's advertising your company. Montana is similar. Run a rig without a company name and cruise past. Have stickers and logos stating you are a "business" you shall fall into "commercial vehicle" standards in some states.

If you are a business and you stay in Montana for a specified period of time, you are required to buy Montana license plates. If I remember correctly, 30 days with a vehicle registered under a business name and you're supposed to buy plates. About 4-5 years ago had to add Montana plates to two rigs and display them along side Washington plates for a job that took a few months to complete.

Otherwise, for non-business/commercial, some states require you to post, "Not for Hire/private" on the rig.

For this, another reason not to buy a one ton in some states. Guys rolling with the 1.5 ton / F-450's automatically become subject to weight stations due to the sign on the side of their trucks advertising their GVW... (or manhood size...however you want to look at it) LOL....

·
Registered
128 Posts
Hello everyone, I am A DOT State Trooper here in Texas, and from the horses mouth here goes the requirements.

1- Your vehicle or combination of vehicles ( Truck and Trailer) Have a GVWR, actual weight or registerd weight of 10,001 lbs or more.

2- You travel across state line in commerial gaines (You are a pro trainer/ run a kennel),

3- Now the you have fallen under the FMCSA your are required to register with the Federal DOT and get a DOT # and have it displayed on your rig.

4- You are required a Medical card, a Log book, Fire extinguisher, road side flares or triangles, spare fuses

5-Your are required a Cab Card (Cargo insurence registered with either the state or the feds, since the dogs are not your)

6-Yes you are subject to random roadside inspection at any time, and NO we do not need probable cause to stop you, we don't have to have any reason other than you are subject to the FMSCA regulations weither if you know it or not.

7- unlike when you get a ticket in your car, when you get stopped and inspected and certin things are wrong you can be PARKED where ever you are for anywhere from 8 hrs to 24 hrs depending on the violation, or indefinitely until you obtain the required repairs or paperwork.

8- And Dog trailers are not legally registered as Farm trailers I have seen dozens of them at hunt test and field trials, just didn't want to be an jerk and call them out on it.

Now with that being said I am sure my inbox is going to blow up,

·
Registered
6,429 Posts
2- You travel across state line in commerial gaines (You are a pro trainer/ run a kennel), ,
Steve

Thanks for the information. What should amateur handlers, who are driving chassis mounts, do when stopped?

A friend of mine, Robbie Bickley, was stopped in Iowa, on his way to a judging assignment, and issued a ticket. I think Robbie paid the ticket rather than going through the brain damage of having to travel from Texas to Iowa several times to resolve the issue.

​Ted

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Steve

Thanks for the information. What should amateur handlers, who are driving chassis mounts, do when stopped?

Perhaps print out the guidance from the FMCSA where it says that Part 383 does not apply to drivers of recreational vehicles? http://fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regulations/administration/fmcsr/fmcsrruletext.aspx?reg=383.3&guidence=Y

States, can, however extend their own CDL requirements to recreational vehicles, so it would not be a bad idea to see what any state in which you will be driving the chassis mount says.

·
Registered
923 Posts

·
Registered
927 Posts
PHG stated "Best thing you can do is to NOT have any logo's advertising your company. Montana is similar. Run a rig without a company name and cruise past." Don't know about Montana but I was educated about Idaho last June. Don't cross over into Idaho.............. Been there and done that and if you get hooked it will cost you a couple grand to get everything up to par. I was running a 1 ton F350 dulley pulling boats for commerical purpose, which according to the "commerical cops" is a commerical vehicle AND a private vehicle so if your hauling dogs, for clients and a commerical venture is in progress you will need to cover the commerical truck laws with the exception you don't need a commerical driver's license endorsment. Good luck all. Like I said, I really hate all the Big Brother BS. Duckdon

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Thanks for posting that Mr. Hoppas. I would like to point out that there is no way for a LEO to verify that I/we are operating a commercial kennel even if you've crossed a state line. IF a trooper was to pull me over for a level 1 inspection my point of view to him would be that yes they are all my dogs! Now to be honest in all my years of law enforcement I've never seen any CV stops being made on anything but what is obviously a CMV. There's plenty of big rigs to pick on out there and someone who knows what they are doing and is genuinly working a DOT assignment is not going to waste time stopping a dog trailer. Now what happens in other states I obviously can't speak to but just as in dog traininig, there are cops everywhere who see things differently and maybe try to take things too far.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Pulling all your asvertisements off the truck will help you fly under the radar. Am's if your are advertising your kennel, your are doing so for commercial gain either directly or indirectly (selling stud fees and pups or training)
Oh and this is nothing new these laws have been on the books since the late 80's.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Have I ever stopped a dog truck set up for an inspection No, but that doesn't mean the next officer won't. Being under the FMSCA regulations is being under regulation and you are always subject to getting stopped and inspected at any time. I was not posting the information to piss anyone off. But better to learn here then the side of the road in another state then your home one and being put out of service until you are in compliance.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Scott Dewey got stopped in Missouri leaving my place in Dec of '10 with kennels I was selling him. LEO said he had to been up to Commercial standards. They are required to hold you until you meet standards, no matter what time it is or how many dogs you are carrying. It delayed his trip home 3 hrs. This can be very difficult on Sunday night. So you decide. Steve has been gracious enough to point out the Law, it is up to you to decide if you want to follow them...

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Am's if your are advertising your kennel, your are doing so for commercial gain either directly or indirectly (selling stud fees and pups or training)
Not according to FMSCA regulations. An amateur having a kennel name on the truck is no different than having a vanity plate, monogram or Good Sam Club bumper sticker. Sure it may be a red flag to a cop--just as a red Ferrari might be--but it is no violation to have a truck so adorned. Unless you are hauling hazardous materials, you are not a CMV under FMSCA.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts