RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What high performance sires (preferably running FT) that are available for stud (or frozen semen) that have double coats?
I am aware of one - Wood Rivers Franchise (Shaq). Are there any others?

Thanks for any help and input you can provide.

Lorraine Maroney

·
Banned
5,856 Posts
Good luck with that one... I use a wonderfully bred chocolate MH that has a thick double coat and throws it. "Homer" has a double coat.

Angie

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Judging by my shaq pup I would say he does. Juice has the thickest coat I've ever seen. How is his litter mate coming along?

·
Banned
5,856 Posts
Judging by my shaq pup I would say he does. Juice has the thickest coat I've ever seen. How is his litter mate coming along?
Annies coat was pretty nice as I recall. I've got 3 siblings on the truck this summer and they all are doing very well. My Trixie picked up another master pass last weekend and another finished his senior. Cody was primarily amateur trained. How's Juice doing??

Angie

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Juice is doing well. He's on the back end of transition. He is with a trainer until sept. I'm planning on running quite a few derbies with him this fall. If that doesn't go well then well start running master I imagine. I'm hoping we don't run any hunt tests until this spring though. Lord knows he can mark.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Gracie says "Hi" to brother Juice.
Gracie has run 3 Derbys and placed a 2nd and a 4th. We're proud of her and her trainer, Mike Taylor.

I'm looking for another pup to train and run in FT. If anyone knows of any upcoming breedings that will have thick double coats please PM me.
Thanks in advance.
Lorraine

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Congrats on the derbies. I hope juice can fare that well. Is the need for a double coat due to climate?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yep - the water is cold in Alaska.
The weather can also be brutal especially for duck and goose hunting.
Lorraine

·
Registered
165 Posts
I have an 18mo Shaq pup (Shaq x Beau Chene Ameilleur Ami MH, QAA) who is very thick coated and never seems to lose it. Furminate all the time! Great dog. Got his SH in spring and UKC Seasoned and only needs 1 more Finished pass for that title. Will start MH in fall. A lot of dog that can do it all just full steam ahead all the time.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
While Ive not met Sailor (FC AFC Close Hauled to Windward), my son of his has a very thick(dare I say PROPER?) ,double coat. Someone whos met Sailor in person could tell you if he himself has,or better yet, his owners. The others Ive seen from him, are also very heavy coated dogs.........I've just been to his website, to see hisp ictures,and from the pics i"ve seen, he does have a double coat. I see a lot of Sailor in my boy the older he gets.

·
Registered
234 Posts
great question

What a great question! Something that seems far too often overlooked!

I'm a big fan of a nice thick double coat on labs!

My bitch has an awesome coat! :) I look for this in both when breeding. Should have some nice thick coat nicely breed chocolate pups hit the ground july 3rd.

I like to hunt ducks in ice and snow regards!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Billie - I'll check out Sailor.
Chad Baker responded that Grady has a nice thick double coat.

Any others out there? Keep em coming.

Thanks Lorraine

·
Registered
478 Posts
I have noticed in photos that several Copper pups look to have nice coats. I know the dams' play a role in the coats of pups produced, so it could be the girls he was bred to- but it could be him. Might be worth asking his owner.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
My Grady son has a GREAT thick double coat. He also has an otter tail...

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Two brothers I've had from Grady, great coats, the female I have, it's okay, not terrible thin, but not as nice as the boys. Pirate female I have from a Howdy daughter, very heavy thick coat.

·
Registered
494 Posts
2XNAFTCH Candlewood's Ramblin Man bred to Revilo's Waterstrike Rose through good thick coats. Their is a contributor from Texas who had a pup from a repeat breeding of the afor mentioned dogs. His input would confirm or refute whether that combination dogs throws great coats on Labs. There must be some other dogs out of Ramblin Man that are playing the game.
Sailor out of Texas looks like he had a great coat.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
2XNAFTCH Candlewood's Ramblin Man bred to Revilo's Waterstrike Rose through good thick coats. Their is a contributor from Texas who had a pup from a repeat breeding of the afor mentioned dogs. His input would confirm or refute whether that combination dogs throws great coats on Labs. There must be some other dogs out of Ramblin Man that are playing the game.
Sailor out of Texas looks like he had a great coat.
I bred to a MH ylm out of that Ram x Rose breeding, he had a good coat, as does the daughter I kept. My Cosmo daughter has a very heavy and longish coat, her daughter by FC AFC Crow Rivers Cougar's Mad Max has a shorter but very thick coat.

·
Banned
5,856 Posts
I'm raising a Pirate puppy that has a real nice coat. The mother had next to none but this guy has coat out the ears..

Angie

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I have a MH male out of a Boss bitch to FC Butch's Dream Code of TCR (Cosmo son) that has a very thick double coat. I also have a nice young female by Weezer out of a Cosmo bitch that has a nice double coat that isn't as long but it's nice and thick.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts