RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This dog training can drive me crazy. I know that you are suppose to keep your cool, but I certainly didn't listen to that advice this morning. Set-up the large double T that we have run several times before (have actually thought that we needed to move to water swimby because dog has been performing generally without error, but were trying to wait on some rain for the pond). This morning we got up on the wrong side of the bed. I placed the course with the dog in the box...white back pile, all 4 intersection overs had orange or black bumpers. He has done better once I went to off colors on outside to avoid any hooking to outside piles. Well I send dog on back from my side at first intersection, then once or twice as I back up rapidly along base line even gave an over that was near perfect; had to tweet him in a tad to straight sit, this has been common. The problem starts when I get out the 125 yrds or so....no go....move up...no go...nick...up...no go....on&on...Heating him up...as I lose my cool...move all the way to 1 st intersection he goes as directed several times. Start backing up to far back same thing, even try to send from remote and he comes in even with collar in play.....just buries head up my shoes and pants leg. Dog is getting very hot...I'm getting more put out. I thought the dog fully understood a week prior. So here I am thinking where to go from here ...go back to pile work or just back to base line of T backing up slow with pile identified. I felt this morning like I was going to make the word back the worst in his vocabulary and cause some shutdown in association with sending on. NEEDED TO VENT!!!

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Go throw some marks. Maybe shorten up a little bit for the next time or two to get his confidence back. Good luck.

Hanging on to the handle so you don't fly off regards...

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
It sounds like you are trying to progress too fast and the "wheels came off" this morning. It sounds like force back was not completed, or fully understood.

Some suggestions:
- Don't use orange & black bumpers for the side piles. What's the point of making them less visable? If the side piles are causing too much of a problem, you aren't ready for them yet!

- always have a bumper in your pocket. If you don't get the correct response after you use a collar correction, it's usually time to simplify. Most dogs are not being willfully disobedient by not doing what is commanded, they just don't understand.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Don't know if this will help. But I've been reading this guys book on owning and training dogs etc. It's called Great Dogs & Good Owners or something like that.

I found something interesting in it. He states that after you have been teaching a command for 4-5 weeks. One day you will give the command and the dog will look at you like as if to say "What the heck are you saying" even tho last week he was doing the command really well.

He goes on to say that at about the 5 week period that the dog will not know the command because it is being transferred from short term to long term memory. Some people believe that the information is not available in that period.

He finishes by saying that a week or so later the pup will know the command much stronger than before.

Don't know if this is true or not.. I'm still training my first pup so I'm by no means an expert. But if the time frame fits maybe there is something to it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Give him a rest

My dog did the samething last month. I consulted a pro trainer that has help me with my dog. His suggestion was to slow down pile work is very hard on a dog. Give him a break for a few days let him be a dog not a machine. After a few days of of letting my frustration cool off and pup just hanging out with me. back to the grind and he nailed it. Remember weather is warming up and if your running him @ 125+ yards thats 250 yard for every bumper!!! Short and sweet always end on a good note even if he has only done 4 or 5 reps.

my 2 cents

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay, I've calmed down a little besides its Lunch time ... the dog that I described this morning is hard charging...he lives for this retrieving game. I just think I errored in amount of correction without simplifying so he could get out of it. It just baffles me why I would get this refusal on the established pattern blind of the T this morning when I was at a distance. A few times in past I may have noticed the first slight step or two that wasn't wide open after running T pattern for awhile but normally there and back is full throttle with this dog.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Someone once told me with Dog training never to high or to low.

With that T-work is typically a drill that once you think the do is proffient with you are done and you don't go back to it. It is also hard on dogs when it is hot out, when you think about the amount of running they do.

Keep in mind I have only trained one dog so I am just reiterating what was told to me. I tried to make sure I got TT done perfectly. I was told it isn't a place in dog training that you are looking for perfection. I was told you are looking to get the basics done and move on.

My 1 cent cause that is about all it is worth.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, it's 5:30 pm here and I'm off to work the dogs again, hopefully we'll have a less confused session with some water marks now that everyone has had time to reflect on frustration this morning and the fact that its 90 degrees now. We will go back to the T early in the am with todays problem child that I discussed but will take it slow. Thanks for the imputs and please continue to discuss this double T drill training period. I'd love to here from some of the full-time trainers regarding outlooks with, time periods & success goals. Thanks again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts