RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 14 month old blf that I am trainning using Mike Lardy's TRT. I am currently on the Double T. I have already taught the line and forced. Today I started Sit to the pile. I first started with a freebie then moved to a sit on her way in. First problem is she crept a little when I blew the whistle which I corrected the problem with a sit nick sit. The second problem is any time when she is out in the field and she sits she immediately drops the bumper but when called in immediately picks bumper up and races in. Do I need to go back to FF?

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
I have a 14 month old blf that I am trainning using Mike Lardy's TRT. I am currently on the Double T. I have already taught the line and forced. Today I started Sit to the pile. I first started with a freebie then moved to a sit on her way in. First problem is she crept a little when I blew the whistle which I corrected the problem with a sit nick sit. The second problem is any time when she is out in the field and she sits she immediately drops the bumper but when called in immediately picks bumper up and races in. Do I need to go back to FF?
Your first question....Is she doing this on purpose or is she trying very hard to understand what is going on?
Second question....Your dog is a
nticipating something. Eliminate the anticipation.

My penny worth.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Don't expect nor demand perfection when first starting sitting in the field.( if she creeps a little , it is because it is something very new, she is used to bringing you the bumper) BE FAIR and teach her the new skill Did you stop her on the way back in first? Tell her to fetch it up when she drops , then a quick sit, when she picks it up. Once she gets it a really big "good"!
You will probably have to work on this closer, ( not 50 yds away)

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
drops bumper when sits

My first thoughts are she hasn't mastered putting the the acts together....I would start with a walking sit heel drill with a bumper in her mouth...If she drops on the sit command just force her to pick it up with an ear pinch and repeat the drill again...when she has mastered it without pressure, I would add stimulation on the sit command and then convert to a whistle sit with stimulation ....Be sure there are plenty of free sits in the drill....After she will sit and hold by your side ,sit and back away and recall ....stop en route to see if lesson has sunk in ....If she drops ,walk out and force with an ear pinch and repeat ...The volume in your voice or whistle can cause an over reaction to the command with the results being a dropped bumper until she gets the lesson thoroughly mastered...Also check the amount of stimulation you are using if the drop is coming after the sit nick sit....This is an issue usually taken care of in the teaching hold and walking with bumper...Steve S

1 - 6 of 6 Posts