RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got 2 North American Retrievers over the weekend, they are 11 weeks both males. I want to train as companions and for upland hunting. I've never done waterfowl so won't really even pay attention to that side. I like to hunt dove, quail, and pheasant. I live in west Texas. I also have an 11 month female golden ret/black lab mix, she looks just like a golden but is black.

Any training advice? I have Dokken's book. Any tips are welcome. I have 10 month twin boys so it's important they are very obedient.

·
Registered
350 Posts
"North American Retrievers, also known as 'Double Doodles', are the up
and coming hybrid! A North American Retriever is the hybridization of
a Labradoodle with a Goldendoodle. Onlya few breeders have begun
doing this, and Westwood Doodles is on the cutting edge of this hybrid
movement. "

OH BOY , This is gonna be really good !

·
Registered
13 Posts
"Shoot, I just ran out of popcorn."...Go buy a box of it and a huge bottle of Coke!

I'm new to this site but I had to read the OP's question a few times trying to decide if it was a joke or not?? Went to the website and seen that they charge $1800 a piece so he's got $3600 into those two male pups...hope people take it easy on ya Reaper..

·
Registered
380 Posts
All I can say is wow...if it wasn't for Mike's quote I wouldn't know what the heck a North American Retriever is!

The UK is giggling uncontrollably, I just know it.

Better have a LOT patience to go with those labragoldendoodoodles. Maybe car companies should take suit and offer a F-350/corvette/accord think of the amazing abilities...oh wait

·
Registered
380 Posts
My recommendation is to sell whatever those dogs are take the money and buy a purebred retriever (or pointer) with a proven hunting background/pedigree if you are serious about having a dog to upland hunt with.

Good luck!

·
Registered
719 Posts
OP lays down $3600 and then asks about training ...... troll ..... I do not belieive the post.

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
Jeez....................... Ya could at least throw something resembling bait on that hook.

Sometimes this time of year the really big ones ain't that hungry regards

Bubba

·
Registered
760 Posts
I hear if you have three it is a whole lot easier. That way they Lean faster

·
Registered
8,599 Posts
Don't need bait. Wonder how many hits the websites have generated just from this thread? I know I checked it out to see if it was real. Yep. $2,100 per double doodle pup!

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
The toughest part of training a pair of doubledoodles for upland hunting is training one to block while the other drives. Mike Lardy mentions it in his volume VII articles. Fowl Dog doesn't cover it, just Anseriformes. You would need his Gallifowl Dog

·
Registered
415 Posts
Reaper, pay little attention to the teasing we all kid a lot. My advice would be Hillmans pup video to get your foundation in your pup. Some also use Evan's Smartworks GOOD LUCK
I got 2 North American Retrievers over the weekend, they are 11 weeks both males. I want to train as companions and for upland hunting. I've never done waterfowl so won't really even pay attention to that side. I like to hunt dove, quail, and pheasant. I live in west Texas. I also have an 11 month female golden ret/black lab mix, she looks just like a golden but is black.

Any training advice? I have Dokken's book. Any tips are welcome. I have 10 month twin boys so it's important they are very obedient.

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
First lesson should be to teach them to seat on a duck, or in the case of Upland, on a pheasant.

·
Registered
380 Posts
The toughest part of training a pair of doubledoodles for upland hunting is training one to block while the other drives. Mike Lardy mentions it in his volume VII articles. Fowl Dog doesn't cover it, just Anseriformes. You would need his Gallifowl Dog
I just attach large oven mitts to my blocker's feet then send the other who just runs bat sh*t crazy and drives them into the oven mitted dog. "60% of the time it works every time!" Don't even use a gun, my blocker just slap stuns them and I put them in my satchel.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Let me know how your pups turn out. I plan on breeding my Golden LabraCockerDoodle in a couple of years and I'll be looking for a stud so that I can do my part to expand the worthless dog market.

1 - 20 of 96 Posts