RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not looking for a big argument, but an open, honest discussion and opinions on throwing a double instead of trying to run 3 triples for a solid Master test. Grounds and help are not at issue. No other extenuating circumstance's.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
Not looking for a big argument, but an open, honest discussion and opinions on throwing a double instead of trying to run 3 triples for a solid Master test. Grounds and help are not at issue. No other extenuating circumstance's.

Thanks
I have no issues with a double series as long as at least two of the others are triples. Add in your double blind with one blind interrupting the marks amd you could have a pretty meaty test.

Or how about just throw two triples like NAHRA AND HRC.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I have no issues with a double series as long as at least two of the others are triples. Add in your double blind with one blind interrupting the marks amd you could have a pretty meaty test.

Or how about just throw two triples like NAHRA AND HRC.
Because the rule book requires three sets of marks [ land, water, combo ]with at least two sets of Mark's being a triple or more

·
Registered
856 Posts
in the 9 test I have run, maybe 3 have thrown a double but it was in the last series after 2 triples had been thrown and all the dogs going to the 3rd had picked up a clean triple.

In that case i have no issue with it.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
in the 9 test I have run, maybe 3 have thrown a double but it was in the last series after 2 triples had been thrown and all the dogs going to the 3rd had picked up a clean triple.

In that case i have no issue with it.
Excellent reply. Key being all dogs picked up 2 clean triples Thanks!

·
Registered
903 Posts
My rule of thumb I discuss with co-judge before hand. If one dog needs a clean triple going into the 3rd we'll will have a triple in 3rd.(thats period). Not saying that all dogs have to be clean in at least one series as there are tests that unwittingly throw the dogs a bad twist and the entirety of the test needs to be taken into consideration for pass fail.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Some of the replies infer that 1 cleanly retrieved triple mark series is satisfactory for judging marking assuming there are no double handles on other series.
Is this the standard for successful marking and memory in Master tests?

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
2nd series: Walk -up double, 1 land 1 water, both poison birds run a double blind, 1 land 1 water, then pickup the marks.
Demands memory and control while satisfying most of the mandates leaving the 1st and 3rd to be pure marking triples'

Tim

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
I think we see more doubles because of time management. All master tests are running at full capacity. That dictates tests that run in less than 8 minutes from “guns up” to “guns up”. Cover & challenging marks all add time to the test. Running 3 nothing marks demonstrates less ability than a well placed double and takes significantly less time.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think we see more doubles because of time management. All master tests are running at full capacity. That dictates tests that run in less than 8 minutes from “guns up” to “guns up”. Cover & challenging marks all add time to the test. Running 3 nothing marks demonstrates less ability than a well placed double and takes significantly less time.
Mark, the operative sentence is "well Placed double". In most cases, that is not what we see.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
2nd series: Walk -up double, 1 land 1 water, both poison birds run a double blind, 1 land 1 water, then pickup the marks.
Demands memory and control while satisfying most of the mandates leaving the 1st and 3rd to be pure marking triples'

Tim
Tim, I like this idea a lot. Allows the opportunity to run 2 clean triples, and a walk up, being difficult to position for 3 birds fairly, run as a double, allows for a better chance to mark the falls.(y)

·
Registered
856 Posts
Some of the replies infer that 1 cleanly retrieved triple mark series is satisfactory for judging marking assuming there are no double handles on other series.
Is this the standard for successful marking and memory in Master tests?
prob did word right Mike, and no wouldn't say one clean is a standard. and your right on the DD handles. I'm by far a rule book junky. but if a dog handles in the 1st and 2nd , that are both triples and gets carried to the 3rd and a double is thrown . Does the dog pass?? i didnt think so.. you have way more exp than myself. But i haven't ran or been to a test that a dog with a dd handle passed.

·
Registered
903 Posts
So just to throw mud into the water a MNHT of 6 series all trips & blinds according to regs are set up and planned to run 6 minutes per dog with an outside of 7 minutes time. How can this be done? A week of setups 1st roughly and then fine tuned with all judges participating in the process. Do understand there are few gimmes, no poison birds and no tricks. Also all tests are primarily N or S to avoid sun angles that can affect the dogs.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts