RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
6,258 Posts
DP down this way they are pretty much full in min with long wait list. Heck a MH in N. AL next month in July was slow to fill the 66 but a couple days after opening is now a 100 dog MH. 99% of MH within a 6 hr drive from me fills up in 2 mins or so.
Many in the Midwest are not full. Glad our master is full and had good size entries in SH and JH.
At the Master right now.

Reactions: saltgrass

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have ran quit a few Master Tests that had a double series in them..
Generally there is a lot more to the Test like the last one I ran had a series with double marks, double blind, honor and a diversion bird. Both marks were well placed and the dogs had plenty of work to get there, the water blind had trouble on both sides of the dog where they could easily bail out and some did... The diversion bird was on the way back from the last blind and had a big splash as is your partner just knocked down a duck on the dogs way back...
There were many opportunities to screw up this test however it was a great representation of an actual hunt...
I have Judged for a long time also, when I am Judging I am going to take you hunting as the game is called "Hunt Test"..
There will be many factors that are already there from the contour of the land, dimension of the water, cover, wind etc...
There won't be inline, under the arch, over the arch, through the arch, along the arch, under Noah's arch, hip pocket, front pocket, side pocket with a poison bird in it, shoreline, through the eye of the needle, bull dog diversion bird, cover that is to high to see the dog or for the dog to see you etc... All of these things are manufactured and are designed to trick a dog or eliminate them...
If I am Judging You are going Hunting....
I want to see good obedience, clean marks and clean handles and effort from the dog and handler...
Lastly I often hear it's just a "double', or "straight away triple" as if it's no big deal... Unfortunately I have thought this and made the same mistake and seen handlers that thought they have it all wrapped up and generally we both go home early!!! As soon as we get lackadaisical we are done.....
It is a great Game and I am praying we don't screw it up...
Hope All Are Well!!!

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
I have Judged for a long time also, when I am Judging I am going to take you hunting as the game is called "Hunt Test"..
There will be many factors that are already there from the contour of the land, dimension of the water, cover, wind etc...
There won't be inline, under the arch, over the arch, through the arch, along the arch, under Noah's arch, hip pocket, front pocket, side pocket with a poison bird in it, shoreline, through the eye of the needle, bull dog diversion bird, cover that is to high to see the dog or for the dog to see you etc... All of these things are manufactured and are designed to trick a dog or eliminate them...
If I am Judging You are going Hunting....
This gave me a chuckle, becaue I really appreciate judges who don't have to resort to training scenarios to put on a great test. Big 'THUMBS UP'.

·
Registered
47 Posts
We had two mid week tests here the past couple weeks. Both filled up entirely within seconds

Actually pretty good weather for the one this week. Only a high of about 89, beats the heck out of 99

·
Registered
6,258 Posts
Why is that? I like them. Gives the pros their shot and puts a little less pressure on the amateur guys to get a spot in a weekend test
Makes no difference to me either way. The rumor I heard was, a club with a weekend test within 200 miles would have to grant permission for a midweek test. This prompted by low numbers at some weekend tests.

Reactions: Golddogs

·
Registered
47 Posts
Makes no difference to me either way. The rumor I heard was, a club with a weekend test within 200 miles would I have to grant permission for a midweek test. This prompted by low numbers at some weekend tests.
Interesting. Maybe that's why they wait to have the midweeks here when spring weekend hunt test season is "over"

·
Registered
6,258 Posts
Interesting. Maybe that's why they wait to have the midweeks here when spring weekend hunt test season is "over"
Probably just clubs being courteous, there is no rule yet that I know of.

·
Registered
13,094 Posts
Honestly did not know that any club was suffering from low Master entries.
A couple weekends ago Maine retriever trial club's double master. 66 dog limit had 25 and 26 dogs. Southern Berkshire Golden running now in Connecticut has 33? In a 66 limit master.
We just had a committee meeting to worry about this as EE will bill you $9+ per entered dog if you need to cancel because of low numbers. Conversely Hunt Secretary only charged me $3.50 per dog for the field test I canceled two weeks ago. Ether way it is a loss for the club.

·
Registered
726 Posts
A couple weekends ago Maine retriever trial club's double master. 66 dog limit had 25 and 26 dogs. Southern Berkshire Golden running now in Connecticut has 33? In a 66 limit master.
We just had a committee meeting to worry about this as EE will bill you $9+ per entered dog if you need to cancel because of low numbers. Conversely Hunt Secretary only charged me $3.50 per dog for the field test I canceled two weeks ago. Ether way it is a loss for the club.
Can someone explain why EE needs to charge $9 per entered dog if a test is canceled due to low numbers? I am NOT criticizing EE--just trying to understand their fee schedule and reason to require a $9 per dog cancelation fee. Is it having to pay an employee to do the work to cancel the test and make sure everyone gets their entry fees refunded except for $9?

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Not looking for a big argument, but an open, honest discussion and opinions on throwing a double instead of trying to run 3 triples for a solid Master test. Grounds and help are not at issue. No other extenuating circumstance's.

Thanks
Bird placement, bird placement, bird placement!!!

·
Registered
5,718 Posts
Actually, bird placement, bird placement. ;) But, you are completely correct, David.

Sufficient terrain, the right wind, and sufficient cover make all the difference in the world. Also, really good hides that blend in with the surroundings and are protected by the wind make a huge difference. One could set up a quint, and if the throwing stations stand out like a sore thumb, any master level dog worth its kibble will get the birds.

The 2 most difficult all-age tests that I have run were doubles. - Paul

21 - 40 of 59 Posts