RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Walking the fenceline, pulling weeds out in the field, etc. I scared up a dove.

In the middle of my hayfield, on the ground, there is a nest with two eggs in it. First time I've ever seen a dove's nest. Not sure how long it takes for them to go on their own. Only a couple of weeks to hatch.

First hay cutting may have to be delayed a bit unless the heavy rain forecast for tonight runs them off.

My first instinct was to put the eggs in the incubator but I remembered something about "pigeon milk" and googled it. Don't think I'm capable of feeding the babies.

Every day is a new day out here in Bedias!!!

Jerry

·
Registered
206 Posts
Don't you folks in Texas have enough trees for birds to nest in like normal birds? Guess we'll have to start a 'send a tree to Texas fund'.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Steve Bean said:
Don't you folks in Texas have enough trees for birds to nest in like normal birds? Guess we'll have to start a 'send a tree to Texas fund'.
Does that mean we can continue to drive our pickups and SUV's and still be a carbon neutral state?

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
They are great fun to watch. I've had them nest (in trees) outside my apartment. Guess you have a special ground dove ! Must not be many predators or something. They will nest several times or have multiple clutches of eggs of not successful the first time they will try again. So keep an eye on it and when you got to cut the hay don't worry about it. They will re-nest elsewhere.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Steve Bean said:

Hahahaha - reminds me of something that someone asked my wife when we lived in California, and were getting ready to move back to Texas (getting out of the US Navy). We had her folks rent us a place so we could have the furnature, etc shipped, and they took a picture.

Upon seeing the picture (where you couldn't see the house due to the trees in front), they asked:

"are there trees in Texas?"

It has been an inside family joke for 23 years now...

Jerry: I hear those things are pests. Give me a call the first of Sept - I'll come help eraticate your problem. No charge!

·
Registered
932 Posts
Jerry said:
Walking the fenceline, pulling weeds out in the field, etc. I scared up a dove.

In the middle of my hayfield, on the ground, there is a nest with two eggs in it. First time I've ever seen a dove's nest. Not sure how long it takes for them to go on their own. Only a couple of weeks to hatch.

First hay cutting may have to be delayed a bit unless the heavy rain forecast for tonight runs them off.

My first instinct was to put the eggs in the incubator but I remembered something about "pigeon milk" and googled it. Don't think I'm capable of feeding the babies.

Every day is a new day out here in Bedias!!!

Jerry
Might be a Kildeer's nest Unca Jer, there ground nesters................ :shock:

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's a dove.

There's a bunch of cedars around the fence line so I can't figure out why it chose the ground.

From what I was able to learn cedars are used more than the ground.

Jerry

·
Registered
252 Posts
Steve Bean said:
Steve:

It's fairly common for birds which are normally tree/brush nesters to nest on the ground early in the season. Temperature fluctuations early in the season make an exposed nest difficult to keep warm (esp in light of this year's very cold spring). The ground provides a more stable temperature. This bird will most likely nest in a tree/bush in her second round of nesting.

John
________
Suzuki Gsx-R250

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Noticed one of my dogs close to the nest this morning and nothing flew out. Walked out to check and found the eggs gone.

Not sure what got them.

Jerry

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
:cry: Could have been any of a number of egg eaters...snake, *****, skunk, coyote....who knows? That is why they should nest in trees, maybe mama bird learned a valuable lesson this time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts