Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no we do not use the Dow

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am curious to know how widespread the use of the DJIA to determine the starting number in major stakes. If you do not use it what is your reasoning or if you do, do you think it is helpful. Some clubs around here use it, others refuse. As a newby, I'm curious as to the reasoning behind the decision. Should use of the Dow be manditory?

·
Registered
6,388 Posts
The Rocky Mountain Retriever Club uses the DOW, as do many other clubs in the Colorado Circuit (Cheyenne, Colorado Women's, Fort Collins, and Pikes Peak)

I like it because it eliminates any possible suspicion that the draw has been biased either in favor of or against any individual competitors.

J

·
0 Posts
Here's a newbie question. How do you use the DJIA to determine running order?

Jonathan

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
The order is determined 8-10 days prior to the event. The DJIA is posted at the close of the Market on Tues, prior to the start on Fri. The Dow only signifies which dog will run first, in the first series.

Jerry

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
For those who have said that you do not use the Dow, can you tell me why? I'm not being argumentative but I would really like to know the reasoning behind not using it.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Keith G As our resident former AKC man, can you tell me if it has ever been proposed that Dow be made manditory? And if so, what became of the proposal? Thanks

·
Registered
9,620 Posts
dogcommand said:
Keith G As our resident former AKC man, can you tell me if it has ever been proposed that Dow be made manditory? And if so, what became of the proposal? Thanks
it has been proposed informally (by me & perhaps others)

the argument against mandatory use of the Dow Jones is that mandatory rotation levels the playing filed without making the Dow mandatory

the bottom line........the Retriever Advisory Committee is not interested in making the Dow Jones method mandatory :(

1 - 9 of 9 Posts