RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a dog that after he turns and sits(treads) in the water will drift in the direction (left or right) of the hand I am showing him BEFORE I cast him. He keeps his eyes on me and stays facing me and doesnt come in or drift back just drifts in the direction of the hand I am showing him. If I switch hands he will drift in the direction of the hand I am showing him. He doesn't auto cast, and I have found that drifting him works kinda well in tests as I can drift him over 5 yards or more and put him back online and then just give him a straight back cast. I have also noticed if I cast him right back then the next time I stop him he will turn right to sit and if I do a left back he will turn left to sit the next time. he also has one other quirk if I sit him in water and imediately give a second sit wistle or a verbal sit he will just stop moving and slowly sink below the water. (is a dog out of control if you cant see him because he is underwater?:eek:)
My question is do other people drift their dogs before casting? Am I screwing him up by doing so? I will try and get some video up soon.

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
My question is do other people drift their dogs before casting? Am I screwing him up by doing so? I will try and get some video up soon.
No you are not screwing him up, you are taking advantage of a good tendency. Barry and I were judging a trial a few weeks ago and we had a newby handler with a very talented dog running our water blind. Barry and I noticed that his dog was like yours, with every whistle the dog would turn away from shore (left in this instance), and kind of dog paddle back toward the line while watching his handler intently. The newby not picking up on this was very quick with a cast after the whistle, so unlike you he and his dog didn't take advantage of a bonus situation.

The other day our training group was chatting about which way our dogs turned on a whistle and how tight they turned. Most dogs turn to the right, someone said they tend to turn in the field the same direction they turn in the kennel to lie down. I have one dog that turns right, but am lucky with my other dog, if he's in a "good dog" frame of mind he turns away from shore and digs that direction while watching me, if he's feeling cheaty that day it's the opposite. When he is good I have learned to savor that whistle-turn-drift toward the line for a few seconds. Sometimes thats enough for him to be back on line and all I need is a back cast.

I say you should just count your lucky stars and use it wisely.

John

·
Registered
3,682 Posts
Water-wings, or and inner tube... Obviously he's just not one of those stay still water-treaders, on the plus side at least he doesn't turn around, stop swimming, sink, then drown. Could be worse. ;) I think this is one of those situations where you got to remember this is a team-sport. You know he's going to drift, Adapt your casts to the dog, if that gives you an advantage "GOOD DOG".

P.S You could have a tanker dog like me, (beep, beep, beep ) So quit whining (or is it bragging)? :D Either way I'm writing down a note to drown you at the next hunt test, we'll see if you drift ;).

·
Registered
377 Posts
What if you put both hands up pre-cast instead of just one? Obviously the dog is anticipating the cast and working with you, which I would much prefer to him having a preference in mind as to which way HE wants to go. My opinion is that it's good, but if you don't like it, maybe see what happens if you put up two hands in your pre-cast setup, instead of just one. And there are worse problems to have than having a dog that stops swimming on a sit whistle. Mine, for instance doesn't like treading water, and is usually swimming for shore at every chance he gets.

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
Please don't change anything! What you have described is a perfect situation, now if he starts to auto-cast that is another story, but the way you are working together seems great to me.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I've been "drifting" for at least 20 years. Like John said, I wouldn't change a thing. It sounds like you are doing a pretty good job of reading your dog. I was just showing some of our training group "drifting" last week! I like your term for it! Maybe Chris will have to add it to the G.O.T.?

John

·
Registered
6,461 Posts
Have a dog that after he turns and sits(treads) in the water will drift in the direction (left or right) of the hand I am showing him BEFORE I cast him. He keeps his eyes on me and stays facing me and doesnt come in or drift back just drifts in the direction of the hand I am showing him. If I switch hands he will drift in the direction of the hand I am showing him.
You actually are casting him. The showing of the hand is actually a cast. He's reading your cue of what direction he will next travel in. If you stood in a neutral position with no false movement, he probably would do nothing. If you're going to refine your "drifting cast" you should try the neutral position and see what he does. If he does nothing, THEN you would have a great tool. You can let him "drift" into a better position and then actually cast him.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Kelly,

Wave's a great dog, with all the training you do during the week and this is all you could come up with??? And I would add you're not lucky, Wave is a result of a lot of hard work by you ,Wave and your training team;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts