RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What drills do u guys like to use to get the dog to run straight to aof. And not to gunner, fall off hill, etc

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i did some of that today. hate to throw another mark enroute to often so that he doesnt start waiting for it. did some handling today. first mark he ran to gunner. second he started to and i handled. third, he ran to aof. forth, ran back to gunner but not quite as much

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
When he heads to gunner and u stop him what do u do? Jut handle or do u give him a NO with a collar correction? I know someone will say yeah right but I have actually seen a pro have his bird stand up an yell and puts his hands up in air if the dog goes to gun station to try and scare the dog I guess, never asked. It was several years ago.

·
Registered
958 Posts
we had dogs run straight to the the wingers a few times couple weeks ago trying to take the birds out of them. a stern "NO", and made the area really hot with the collar, "NO" got them off. casted em over to the AOF and they were good. only took once or twice to get the picture. just them trying to cheat when we had 2 and 3 wingers set up side by side for multiple dogs.
i ran some ABC drills the next day with 2 bird boys, and that seemed to help as well.

·
Registered
132 Posts
A four year old dog that runs to the gunner on single marks ??
Brings up a lot of questions -

How many marks has this 4 yr. old seen before ?
How is the dog's eyesight ?
Does the dog like birds at all ?

Normally, at a few months of age, a retriever that has been given a reasonable number of basic/simple marks, no lionger goes to the guns. Tell us what else is going on here.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Move gunner closer and start throwing bird flat. As the dog learns to mark the fall of the bird start gradually moving back. Do not let the dog go to gunner. If starts going to gunner again move closer. Obviously the dog has been rewarded with a bird when going to gunner. Starting closer has worked for me in the past on young dogs. Should work for you also. Be diligent about keeping rewards away from dog if going to gunner. Good luck.:D

·
Registered
7,657 Posts
I handle, with or without a correction depending on what the dog knows, and if it was an obvious cheat or not.

I'll repeat the mark right then and there, others don't.

·
Registered
289 Posts
we had dogs run straight to the the wingers a few times couple weeks ago trying to take the birds out of them. a stern "NO", and made the area really hot with the collar, "NO" got them off. casted em over to the AOF and they were good. only took once or twice to get the picture. just them trying to cheat when we had 2 and 3 wingers set up side by side for multiple dogs.
i ran some ABC drills the next day with 2 bird boys, and that seemed to help as well.
Sounds like a recipe for disaster.
You may think you solved a problem with this method, however I'm thinking you created a way bigger problem than you had. Good luck when you go to more advanced training and try to get the dog comfortable with running tight to the gunner on either marks or blinds

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
Sounds like a recipe for disaster.
You may think you solved a problem with this method, however I'm thinking you created a way bigger problem than you had. Good luck when you go to more advanced training and try to get the dog comfortable with running tight to the gunner on either marks or blinds

Burning is not the answer for sure!

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
A four year old dog that runs to the gunner on single marks ??
Brings up a lot of questions -

How many marks has this 4 yr. old seen before ?
How is the dog's eyesight ?
Does the dog like birds at all ?

Normally, at a few months of age, a retriever that has been given a reasonable number of basic/simple marks, no lionger goes to the guns. Tell us what else is going on here.
he is master level dog. he does like birds. he is just rusty from off season. yesterday he ran to the gun station and 10-20 yards before gun station, he turned to go to aof. he is not hunting the gun station or trying to get birds from gun station

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
On a dog that level, he should be able to do almost any drill. Have you tried KRD (key relationship drill) Also you could try to run a wagon wheel on a hill. Run some walking singles on a hill to run all angles.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Shorten the distance and shorten the cover.
Handling may create popping.

·
Registered
530 Posts
If it's a master level dog you may want to just run singles on multiple gun set ups for a while.

Bert

1 - 20 of 31 Posts