RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 20 of 195 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is not related to a specific occurrence, just a thought I had. The word alcohol doesn’t appear in the rule book, but are there rules concerning drinking on grounds during an event?

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
Went to a AKC Hound (Dachsund, Beagles, Bassetts, etc) seminar one time and was told that it was not in the AKC sphere of influence; there were no expectations and the bar could open at any time. I guess those Beaglers tend to have fun at their events. HRC/UKC are the only one that actually have rule in the books, I believe because they have actually guns that handlers are using on the line. I would think AKC venues it is more dependent on the club and an idea of proper decorum. I know we have had AKC reps come out to test to investigate "particular" events after complaints were filed; but nothing ever came of it. Heaven forbid something not be in the book, we might actually have to be adults and responsible for our own actions ;)

Reactions: Gregg0211

·
Registered
10,676 Posts
Nothing in the rule book, common sense should prevail, no to alcohol for judges, live guns, and bird throwers. Unless the premises specifically prohibit alcohol it is an individual choice, after the last dog of the day has run the bars and coolers generally open

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Nothing in the rule book, common sense should prevail, no to alcohol for judges, live guns, and bird throwers. Unless the premises specifically prohibit alcohol it is an individual choice, after the last dog of the day has run the bars and coolers generally open
A cold beer during callbacks is highly appreciated when I judge. Two may even get your dog a free hunt. :p

·
Registered
13,108 Posts
The Rule is generally found in individual clubs bylaws or policies. Often worded as after the last dog of the day has run. The "Beer Dog" as they say.
In my personal observations. Amateur handlers of the moderately elderly variety at field trials will have a little something in that coffee cup that ain't actually coffee.

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
I suspect there are a few here who partake... probably because they need to in order to function as decent individuals... unless they are the kind that get even more irritable with the intake of alcohol - in which case that is probably why some clubs don't allow drinking until after the 'beer dog' has run (I believe NAHRA doesn't allow, nor does HRC... but don't quote me on that).

·
Registered
6,295 Posts
I suspect there are a few here who partake... probably because they need to in order to function as decent individuals... unless they are the kind that get even more irritable with the intake of alcohol
So you think we have two varieties of alcoholics here?

Reactions: Gregg0211

·
Registered
6,569 Posts
A friend tells a story of an accomplished amateur from a "bourbon state" sitting on his tailgate just after daylight before a first series derby. The amateur was observed with a "big gulp" sized tumbler and a half gallon turned up chugging as it was being filled.

"Bro, it's 6:30 am! Are you ok?", the participant was asked. The response, "Yes, but I only have time to train in the afternoons. If I don't drink this bourbon this morning these young dogs will not know it's me when I put my hand down to send them!"

Maybe "rural legend" but I always liked the story.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Last dog of the day isn’t called the “beer dog” for nothing….

not sure if that’s common in all venues but hear it a lot in HRC…

·
Registered
48 Posts
not sure if that’s common in all venues but hear it a lot in HRC…
My experience as well. Beer doesn't take long to show itself when HRC ribbons are being handed out. A test I went to in Maryland had a whole shin dig while ribbons were being handed out. They fed you some great food and raffled a couple holding blinds and other misc. things off. It was pretty neat. Nothing like that goes on around here

·
Registered
925 Posts
My experience as well. Beer doesn't take long to show itself when HRC ribbons are being handed out. A test I went to in Maryland had a whole shin dig while ribbons were being handed out. They fed you some great food and raffled a couple holding blinds and other misc. things off. It was pretty neat. Nothing like that goes on around here
I think that is a great idea, and from what I understand is fairly common at HRC tests

·
Registered
10,676 Posts
I have told this story often about my first field trial away from the Texas circuit in 1972 or 1973, I was 27. The names omitted even though I believe all are deceased. Greeley Colorado Rocky Mountain Retriever Club grounds were the duck club of a prominent field trialer. His professional trainer, among the top trainers in the country, and several of his clients were in attendance. They had a full bar set up, bloody Mary’s at 8 AM, switched to beer at noon, and whiskey around 4 or 5 o’clock. It was a real eye opener for a kid from Texas who rarely partook of anything but beer!

1 - 20 of 195 Posts