RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
101 - 120 of 195 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Can’t worry about that bs! You gotta let that crap go in one ear and out the other. Who cares what others say! Be proud of what you and your dog accomplished! Many have a MH or better but many have not and have no clue what it takes to get a MH title.
My dogs first master pass was at David Kress place. 90 entered, 13 passed. 1 am, me! Dont tell me that didnt mean something. Ill never run the Master national due to the requirements to get 5 passes per year to qualify. Thats a money making AKC machine. Ran 1 grand and pointed out in the 4th series, but thats a sore story. Wont do that again either.

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
This has been an interesting read. I am a new handler and am currently going through the paces at some of the lower stakes (more for me than anything). I have ran in AKC and NAHRA events. My experience has definitely been better in NAHRA. People mentioned that AKC has a ton of pros running in the lower stakes and I can agree to that. Both JH events I've run in there has been significant wait times on pros going between different stakes (yes you could be waiting on an amateur's handler cross staking too). The two retriever clubs I'm involved in have had banquets for their NAHRA events but not AKC. I find that NAHRA is a great place for amateur handlers to really enjoy the games. Everyone is supportive and wants to see you be successful. On the other hand I do plan to run my dog through both AKC and HRC events, but it is definitely a different atmosphere.
NAHRA is really a lot of fun and yes, definitely geared more toward the amateur than the pro. What pro is going to go train a dog to trail and/or be steady to flush, shot, fall --- along with all the other things you might see in a NAHRA test - including layout blinds, motorized decoys, multiple kinds of decoys (crane, snow goose, canada goose, variety of puddle ducks), judges blowing duck calls and waving goose flags, remote sit for the marks..... Hardly any, woud be my guess. I feel like the NAHRA program is usually more about defining and rewarding an actual hunting dog. If they ever added the handler also shooting the gun, like HRC, that would be sweet. (the only thing that they don't do, although gun handling is often required)

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
Ill never run the Master national due to the requirements to get 5 passes per year to qualify. her.
It takes money to achieve anything in any competitive activity these days. Apologies for going off topic to the original post (drinking at an AKC licensed event) ..not that I would know if and what was allowed or not ....
I did have a student in training (human) she had loads of dosh but couldn't train a parrot to sit on a perch, never mind train a Labrador retriever to the standard of winning a national championship of any standard.
I also had a student (Dog) that would blast the so called 'best of the best' out of the park and then some .. restricted in accomplishment of titles by circumstance and opportunity and funds .Not the dogs fault ?...It's just how it is.
You can win all the titles and ribbons you want .
Don't mean diddly squat to me personally , seen many FT Champion ,and Field test winner In the field (Shooting with a Gundog breed) ,even the day after their owner/handler and all those reds on a pedigree helped to win that ribbon , couldn't do a days dog work in the shooting field that a 1 year old could do . I meant money on the progeny of success , Success of the trainer/handler, not the progeny of the dog..it appears? So, have a beer and suck it up.
I had a client today with a cocker spaniel he purchased at 12 months old from a 'Successful prominent Field trialler' , all the basics done they said. ? Spent a fortune . And the hits just keep on rolling . atb What's that Paul Young song ?

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
[QUOTE="drunkenpoacher, post: 2273551, member: 74842

Most FC or AFC retrievers in the US would surpass the expectations of nearly every hunter in the field or marsh.
[/QUOTE]
lol...x I'm always up for a challenge .. show me ?
The dog and handler ..best if it's you and yours :cool::p

·
Registered
9,544 Posts
What chatter I have heard is weekend tests are judged more lienirnt so as it brings more Qualified dogs to the Master National.
Folks refer to a dog like mine as “ “JUST” a weekend dog..
The thinking is the REAL talent will show at end of that week long challenging event.
folks say it is judged more stringent that a “Weekend” test. Dogs that get plates are viewed as PhD’s if you want to compare the college educated .
I am very happy with my weekend dog.
Weekends hunts are my favorite pastime.
Weekend HT we’re a time filler.
She is my last dog.
My health won’t be good enough to chase pheasants across CRP soon.
I could not stand the thought of dying and leaving behind my hunting dog.
( or now, my Dairy Queen buddy!)

• Haha
Reactions: swampcollielover

·
Registered
52 Posts
NAHRA is really a lot of fun and yes, definitely geared more toward the amateur than the pro. What pro is going to go train a dog to trail and/or be steady to flush, shot, fall --- along with all the other things you might see in a NAHRA test - including layout blinds, motorized decoys, multiple kinds of decoys (crane, snow goose, canada goose, variety of puddle ducks), judges blowing duck calls and waving goose flags, remote sit for the marks..... Hardly any, woud be my guess. I feel like the NAHRA program is usually more about defining and rewarding an actual hunting dog. If they ever added the handler also shooting the gun, like HRC, that would be sweet. (the only thing that they don't do, although gun handling is often required)
I agree completely. Lots of us though compete in AKC and HRC events, we do NAHRA because of the extra elements you mentioned it makes for an awesome all around hunting dog! There's quite a few of these dogs that advance past a MH and jump up to Quals and I know of a few that have played and competed in the SRS circuit. You're right though, pros aren't training for this. We take an AKC test and put even more stuff onto the dog!

I do think adding in the shooting of the gun would be a great addition. Anything in Intermediate (I'm taking a swing at in August) and above requires the handler to hold a fake firearm. You are correct too in the NAHRA rulebook it does specifically state no Alcohol is allowed for these events, as soon as that last dog runs though it's game on!

·
Registered
841 Posts
What chatter I have heard is weekend tests are judged more lenient so as it brings more Qualified dogs to the Master National.
Folks refer to a dog like mine as “ “JUST” a weekend dog..
The thinking is the REAL talent will show at end of that week long challenging event.
I never really understand comments like this. There is always some speculation that "they" (whoever THEY is) have had some secret meeting and are telling people to have easier Master tests and pass more dogs? Does this type of meeting actually occur? Does it then get secretly discussed with every person that judges master tests? And then those judges are sworn to secrecy so then it's just rumors in the gallery and on internet forums?

It's highly possible that this DOES occur. I have no idea. But it sure seems unlikely to me that it is some top-secret plan that everyone knows about yet no one knows about.

But I also just saw a recent master test that passed like 90% of the dogs. When I was running master >30% pass rate was high.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Part of it is that the Governing body chose to remove some the most experienced folks from the judging pool.
Apparently, judges forget how to judge if they haven't run a dog in a HT for the past 7 years.
Guess in our part of the south east we are lucky then. With some great experienced Judges and some good new ones coming in. Setting up some very good and challenging test.

·
Registered
9,544 Posts
I ran seven Master tests to get my required 5 passes. ( she passed 5 straight in Senior) to acquire her title

I have had people look me in the face and tell me she hasn’t proved anything, because she hasn’t run enough tests.
These people say that after she has run 150 tests, I would find out if she is truly a Master Hunter, by her Pass success percentage.( This came from people that don’t hunt, and pay a pro to train and run their dog in tests.)
There have been several comments in threads on this board that label dogs like mine that haven’t run many tests ( (only the required number per the venue rules) refere to dogs like mine as JUST TYPICAL Weekend MH’s.

Entry fees are up! Lots of dogs entered. I refuse to spend time sitting in a gallery listening to the doily conversations and stupid comments. I am typically out at a bird station..
lots of owners come dressed that tells you they have no desire to throw birds or help the activity progress though the day. They sit and B.S. only watching when the pro runs their dog..

I also no longer have the income to spend 300 or more participating in something I really don’t enjoy..

Better ways to spend my time.,

Reactions: dorkweed

·
Registered
9,544 Posts
The 1 true positive I got from being involved with dogs was Cherylon.

That lady took the time to try and help me, without sugar coating anything, and being absolutely consistent on her instruction.
She didn’t have to put up with me. She could have just told me to go somewhere else! Instead she stuck it out..
I owe HER specifically for any of our success.
Wonderful experience and privaledge to have trained with her..
I miss those days a LOT! I loved my time there..

·
Registered
297 Posts
It takes money to achieve anything in any competitive activity these days. Apologies for going off topic to the original post (drinking at an AKC licensed event) ..not that I would know if and what was allowed or not ....
I did have a student in training (human) she had loads of dosh but couldn't train a parrot to sit on a perch, never mind train a Labrador retriever to the standard of winning a national championship of any standard.
I also had a student (Dog) that would blast the so called 'best of the best' out of the park and then some .. restricted in accomplishment of titles by circumstance and opportunity and funds .Not the dogs fault ?...It's just how it is.
You can win all the titles and ribbons you want .
Don't mean diddly squat to me personally , seen many FT Champion ,and Field test winner In the field (Shooting with a Gundog breed) ,even the day after their owner/handler and all those reds on a pedigree helped to win that ribbon , couldn't do a days dog work in the shooting field that a 1 year old could do . I meant money on the progeny of success , Success of the trainer/handler, not the progeny of the dog..it appears? So, have a beer and suck it up.
I had a client today with a cocker spaniel he purchased at 12 months old from a 'Successful prominent Field trialler' , all the basics done they said. ? Spent a fortune . And the hits just keep on rolling . atb What's that Paul Young song ?
not really complaining about money, I realize what it cost to train, run and achieve goals. To me personally, the AKC is in it more for cash where the UKC, once qualified as Finished, you may always run the Grand which is a much better gauge of a hunting dog. AND, my dogs pick up 100s of ducks every season in Arkansas.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Part of it is that the Governing body chose to remove some the most experienced folks from the judging pool.
Apparently, judges forget how to judge if they haven't run a dog in a HT for the past 7 years.
With a single rule change, many 8 point judges were no longer eligible. The game lost a wealth of knowledge. It is no surprise that it became harder to find judges. A lot of those ladies and gentlemen sat in the chair a lot of weekends every year.

·
Registered
6,265 Posts
I have had people look me in the face and tell me she hasn’t proved anything, because she hasn’t run enough tests.
They are trying to justify the thousands of dollars they have spent on their dogs that are at the exact same level as your dog.
They aren’t getting any revenue off you. You can always judge field trials Paul.
It seems like there is the idea of making a master level judge into position of prestige, which is the last thing it should be.

I thought this thread was supposed to be about drinking?

·
Registered
5,720 Posts
They are trying to justify the thousands of dollars they have spent on their dogs that are at the exact same level as your dog.

They aren’t getting any revenue off you. You can always judge field trials Paul.
It seems like there is the idea of making a master level judge into position of prestige, which is the last thing it should be.

I thought this thread was supposed to be about drinking?
Judging my 3rd and 4th Field Trials in 2022 in August, Stan.
Also judged 4 HRC tests since last October.
Judging Junior, Senior, or Master AKC HT's is work that is vital to the health of the sport. I never did it for 'prestige'. :ROFLMAO:
Sunburned, bug bit, drowned rat, need to pee, dehydrated, half frozen, whined at regards....

101 - 120 of 195 Posts