RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

How many miles do you drive in a day to train round trip?

• 21-40

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 41-60

• 61-80

• 81-100

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

I recently got a new property but it is about 36 miles away which adds up to 72 miles round trip. Do you think I am crazy for driving this distance every day to train? How many miles ROUND TRIP do you drive on average per day?

·
Registered
280 Posts
driving to train

Normal drive is 200 miles round trip
today will be 100 miles round trip
Gasoline prices are becoming a limiting factor plus the fact that in old age it becomes more difficult to get up at 5:30, train, and return home after 4:00 pm
It is worth it and I enjoy every minute but like other things I just don't do it as often as I used to.
trog

·
Banned
5,856 Posts
That's why one needs many properties available. Those long trips, around an hour to an hour and half are good for a dog. It's good practice getting ready for tests and trials. Then you have many properties that are within a half an hour for your day in and day out training.

Angie

G

·
I've got grounds to train on that are w/in 10 minutes of the house, but if I want to train in a larger group with my club, then I'm looking at 60-90 minutes one way. I won't be traveling as often as last year with the price of gas being what it is (and what I'm hearing it's supposed to get to), but you can't replace that larger group setting.

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
It depends. I've got places that are good for drill work that are w/in walking distance or a couple miles at best.

My favorite field (it's a large field w/ lots of opportunities for marking & blind work-& has decent water) is 20 miles round trip. I have some friends I train with who are an hour and a half each way & another who is a 3 1/2 hour drive.

I'll be training every day on the close fields & will drive as far as need be on weekends (& I have it worked out w/ my boss to leave early to train a couple times a week) for the opportunity to train with different folks & get some work in on fields that offer different scenarios.

M

G

·
Anywhere from 2 miles down the road to 45 mins... Like others, with the cost of fuel, I'm staying closer to home. Thankfully we have lots of great property right down the road. For tech water, I have to make a longer drive... So I use those days wisely.

You do what you gotta do... I'd drive wherever I had to. Part of my consideration is also that my help goes with me. So if I drive an hour, I'm paying them for two hours of driving. :) I have some really nice training property on a farm across the line into Alabama, but if I bring two employees, it will cost me an extra $40 that day to train just to drive there paying them for their time.

and with fuel going up, it's really frustrating...

·
Registered
9,442 Posts
We just bought some land for training - it is 95 miles 1 way. We will be going there once a week to train after work.....wonder how many speeding tickets I'll get this coming year. Also will go there to train on weekends I'm not trialing.

Otherwise it is anywhere from 2 minutes to 30 minutes around town....

Lainee, Flash and Bullet

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Usually it is about a 10 miles to where we train. Good water is hard to come by around here and have almost a three hour round trip to a couple spots. That we make about 6-8 times a year.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
For individual training I just walk though the cottage gate...1500 acres of field and forest to play with but irritatingly...no water.

Group training and water (NOBS days) about 35 miles the round trip.

Eug

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
We travel up to 350 miles one day per week, plus 110 miles another day and sometimes 200 miles another day per week, which is the closest water training. We do train in a local park 2 or 3 days per week.

You did not list enough categories :lol:

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
FOM said:
wonder how many speeding tickets I'll get this coming year.

Lainee, Flash and Bullet
If you need some ideas on how to get out of those speeding tickets, I have LOTS! And the best part is, none of them involve T&A!

I can get to some of our group training grounds in 38 minutes if I am going 90! Trouble is, at high rates of speed, paint chips blow off my truck!

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Wow, won't be taking my training grounds for granted after reading this topic :shock: Across the road (About 50 ft walk), at least 15-20 acres of grassy field with a slight hill, ditch, across the ditch another 75 yards of grass........ 1 1/2 acre pond(50 ft from house), down the road 15 acre pond, all with full access to although we don't own them.
Also, 2 75-100 acre corn fields available to train in in fall and winter.......

·
Registered
153 Posts
I am very fortunate to have the grounds that i do. I can walk my dogs out to 2- 100 acres of rolling pasture or walk about 1/4 mile to a nice creek for water work.

Brad

·
Registered
9,442 Posts
You guys with real training grounds close - SUCK! :D :lol: :lol:

One of these days.....

FOM

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
I had 600 acres(not mine) to train on right out back but now I'm dodging bulldozers and graders.Groups to train with and water is anywhere from 30 minutes to and hour and a half away.Water and places to use your guns are hard to find close by here anymore.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
With training access to our lodge's leases in three or four parishes (counties), I'm spoiled for land. One very useful 1,200 acre piece is but a mile from the house, and there are thousands more acres within a fifteen or twenty minute drive.

Also have no end of handy canals and a great deal of generally too shallow for big gators marsh and flooded pasture to work with.

But big, deep, gator and glass free swimming water is another matter. I'm blessed with what area pros consider a "technical" pond (actually a very haphazardly dug borrow pit) with lots of neat features five miles down the road, but that's about it for relatively big, deep, safe water without driving considerably farther.

·
Registered
402 Posts
efficiency

Actually it really depends. My Pro is within 5 miles of My house so Lots of time it is short...but to get off his property like today I took the Dogs to work to run blinds in both land and water in a city 75 miles from home. I did land blinds over lunch....and water blinds before I go home.

But...Nothing beats the 1000 miles to get to Alabama for 2 weeks of open water and God created perfect Lands. But it is all worth it.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts