RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Drought Index of US

3K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  shawninthesticks 
#1 ·
It's like 2002 in Colorado.

See less See more
#2 ·
It's kinda funny, (not in a laughing way). I bird hunt and photograph on a small (140 ac) property in the coastal bend of Texas and in the last twenty months or so we have only gotten about 12 or 15 inches of rain and the "normal" rainfall for the region is about 27"/yr so we are absolutely in extreme drought on that property and the surrounding area, but its almost like there is some kind of bubble over that particular area, as at least some of the surrounding area has gotten enough rain that this year some of the farmers are actually going to make a crop (the cotton looks pretty short though).

#3 ·
Colorado is experciencing about average temperatures, and low very low humidity. Yesterday the the humidity was 7% in Wellington. Expecting multible fires to break out in the next few days. Conditions are simular to 2002 when over 900,000 acres burned.

#4 ·
I'm in that red area in IL. When you factor in June, we will fall into the extreme drought section.
What's even more upsetting, though, is the continued heat. Can't train when it's so hot.

#7 ·
just got this email from one of my brother's in Durango , but they say they are not in any danger...yet

We still have the first one that started 3 weeks ago 60 miles away in the wilderness and the this week one 10 miles away east in Vallecito where it burned 8 years ago and yesterday afternoon west of us near Mancos fast moving fire and manditory evacuations in the area, this morning we were getting ashes falling on our cars and our deck.

#8 ·
Some of the places that appear normal the crops may be experiencing far frm normal......

Getting four inches two weeks before planting that rns off, Then nothing for five weeks, then six inches, Looks like ten inches ona graph but no in the fields

#11 ·
Here are some shots of the property where I do a lot of my nature photography. The mesquites still look ok, but you will notice that there is no forage. (Shot these this morning)

#12 ·
Pretty sure Florida is now off the map...

#13 ·
The rain certainly has helped. Most lakes in our area are down about 6 feet. The most recent article I read estimates that our aquifer is down about 60 inches. So, although the 10 inches of rain was sorely needed, we still need a bunch more. Hopefully we'll get a lot more out of this system.

Buck

#14 ·
There are currently 10 fires burning in Colorado. Just learn in the Waldo Fire area west of Colorado Springs 32,000 people have been evacuated.

#16 ·
I would say alot of the brown on that map is red now and the white is gonna be.Thank god I don`t have all my eggs in one basket as far as farming is concerned.Theres an old saying the dry yrs. will scare ya the wet yrs will break ya! Not as bad as 88 YET..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.