RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
GOLDENS

Looks like field trial stock paired with show lines. Dual purpose animals.

Gorgeous Golden, never had one but I'm tempted.

Richard

·
Registered
143 Posts
Neither. Quar could be said to be "pre-split." Torch Flinn's Tigathoe dogs were good old-fashioned dual purpose Goldens who could be successful in both field and show ring before the requirements for top-level performance diverged so much in BOTH venues. He lies in the pedigrees of many current field lines, and behind many of the show lines currently able to perform at the MH level.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Quar was a nice dog and the last Dual CH in the US, but he never produced anything as outstanding as his litter brother FC/AFC Tigathoe's Kiowa II. Quar produced no FC/AFC's although he was the sire of a number of QAA's.
Probably Ki's most outstanding get were CH Sunstream Gypsy of Topbrass, FC/AFC Topbrass Mandy, and Splashdown Emberain Aubrey UD***. Gypsy produced FC/AFC Topbrass Mandy and NAFC FC Topbrass Cotton. Aubrey produced Emberain Lady Nell*** and she in turn produced Wraith's Duncan***, FTCH AFTCH Honeywood All Nite Dinah, and Emberain Honeywood Eclair. Clair died very young, but she produced the line that is in FC/AFC Beau, AFC Rugby, AFC Will and many QAA goldens and as a result, Ki's legacy is still very much alive and well in the goldens running in F/Ts and H/Ts today.
That's probably more than anyone wanted to know about an old golden pedigree.

Suzanne B

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
Miss Suzanne,
Definitely not more than I wanted to know. Thanks so much for that bit of Golden history - and keep it coming!
Take Care,
Becky

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Becky Mills said:
Miss Suzanne,
Definitely not more than I wanted to know. Thanks so much for that bit of Golden history - and keep it coming!
Take Care,
Becky
Here..Here!!!!! Great post!!! :D

Judy

·
Registered
931 Posts
Suzanne:

Ditto to Becky.

Paula

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hi Suzanne, I want to know even more! One of our best rainbow bridge goldens was a grandson of Quar: (Joplin) Sundial Zaphod Beeblebrox CGC. I would love to finish his pedigree on K9data, but can't find the parents of Splashdown Gunnar's Legacy. Does anyone know them? Best, Jill (Joplin:http://www.k9data.com/pedigree.asp?ID=270662)

Sundial Westwyn Quarilation CDX
FC AFC Tigathoe's Kiowa II OS FDHF
Dual CH AFC Tigathoe's Funky Farquar CD TD OS FDHF
FC AFC FTCH Bonnie Brooks Elmer OS FDHF
Tigathoe's Chickasaw *** OD
Betyar's Westwyn Jubilation CD, WC

Quar was a nice dog and the last Dual CH in the US, but he never produced anything as outstanding as his litter brother FC/AFC Tigathoe's Kiowa II. Quar produced no FC/AFC's although he was the sire of a number of QAA's.
Probably Ki's most outstanding get were CH Sunstream Gypsy of Topbrass, FC/AFC Topbrass Mandy, and Splashdown Emberain Aubrey UD***. Gypsy produced FC/AFC Topbrass Mandy and NAFC FC Topbrass Cotton. Aubrey produced Emberain Lady Nell*** and she in turn produced Wraith's Duncan***, FTCH AFTCH Honeywood All Nite Dinah, and Emberain Honeywood Eclair. Clair died very young, but she produced the line that is in FC/AFC Beau, AFC Rugby, AFC Will and many QAA goldens and as a result, Ki's legacy is still very much alive and well in the goldens running in F/Ts and H/Ts today.

Suzanne B

·
Registered
4,622 Posts
I was at a hunt test in TX once and was talking to Dottie Mikeska, owner of Quar. We were just chatting and strolling along the road. Suddenly she stopped and backed up to the back of a truck and stood and looked. Then she called her husband over and told him to look at the dog in the back of the truck. He stopped and then turned to her and smiled and said, "He sure resembles Quar doesn't he?"

That dog....it was Jim Pickerings first Golden, Jake.

When Dottie had Quar on the show circuit, she mis-counted his points. She thought he was finished and shaved him down prepatory to getting back into the field. The only problem was that he was a point short. So, she took him all over to small shows where he could win that one point despite the bad haircut.

Eric

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Hi Suzanne, I want to know even more! One of our best rainbow bridge goldens was a grandson of Quar: (Joplin) Sundial Zaphod Beeblebrox CGC. I would love to finish his pedigree on K9data, but can't find the parents of Splashdown Gunnar's Legacy. Does anyone know them? Best, Jill (Joplin:http://www.k9data.com/pedigree.asp?ID=270662)

Jill...we are "related" !! :) www.k9data.com/pedigree.asp?ID=79154

Judy

·
Registered
15,660 Posts

Suzanne B
Bingo......

now there is a dog with ties to my family...lets just say Quar was housed at a family members kennel and leave it there..he was a nice dog and former NDC and Dottie was a fierce competitor ;-)

·
Registered
9,029 Posts

Donna and Richard Hammond are now living in VA and still working with their Goldens. They use the Sundial prefix and might have the info on your dog's pedigree. They just got a new puppy from my litter born this past April, "MacTavish". I'll contact Donna and see if she can give us any info on your dog.

I could not find info for Splashdown Gunnar's Legacy on either OFA or the GRCA Yearbook sites. There is a dog on the OFA site named Splashdown Gunnar's Rocky.

G

·
Linda,

There has already been a discussion about this dog on this forum. You may have started it?

Try the search feature.

Melanie

G

·
I want to point out that Ki's lines continue...Anne Everett (Heads Up kennels) owns a lovely Ki grandson, Cody, from frozen semen.
They also continue through every Cotton descendent since he was Ki grandson.

Only picking on her because I love her,

Melanie

·
Registered
9,029 Posts
I want to point out that Ki's lines continue...Anne Everett (Heads Up kennels) owns a lovely Ki grandson, Cody, from frozen semen.
And there is still some frozen Ki semen to be used. Maybe one or two breedings. I've not heard of there being any Quar frozen semen.

This discussion may point out that things look "obvious" with hindsight, and are not always obvious in the first generation.

While Quar and Ki were actually running trials, Torch Flinn always felt that Quar was the better dog. Both were very good (obviously from their titles!), but Quar was considered (at least by Torch) as the better. However, many years later, she also agreed that Ki was the better producer.

Indeed, Ki is now in just about all lines due to the influence of his grandson, Cotton. Interestingly, I've been told that the Ki daughter who was bred to Barty was not considered to be a hotshot in field work. Cotton's record leaves no doubt that there might have been more to her than met the eye:D

Not many people talk much about Mandy (Cotton's full sister), but I once remember Marion Stroud commenting Mandy's performance at a recent field trial, "And, of course, Mandy, as usual, never put a foot down wrong."

It seems like the combo of Barty and Ki genes were particularly effective. Another similar combo was done with Dinah of Rocky-Vue to Ki, himself, and also produced at least one AFC.

Although Cotton carries puts Ki genes in very many field Goldens today, the Ki influence has been moved many generations back in most of them.

·
Registered
9,029 Posts
Neither. Quar could be said to be "pre-split." Torch Flinn's Tigathoe dogs were good old-fashioned dual purpose Goldens who could be successful in both field and show ring before the requirements for top-level performance diverged so much in BOTH venues. He lies in the pedigrees of many current field lines, and behind many of the show lines currently able to perform at the MH level.
Ki and Quar were born in November 1971. The split in the breed already existed at that time.

The split was not as "radical" as it is today, but there was a split even then. I believe that Ki and Quar were nicer looking than the average field Goldens of that time. I saw others that were not as attractive.

I tried to upload a photo of Ki and Quar, but the files were too big.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts