RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wondering about ducks and geese in SE Iowa during the week of Thanksgiving. I may be going up on a pheasant hunt in Washington County that week and would like to "double dip".

Thanks in advance....

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
As in all duck hunting, it will depend on the weather if the flight ducks are down this far by then. There are a few big resevoirs in Johnson County, just north of where you will be but they get hunted pretty hard. If a big cold front or winter storm moves through you can catch big flights of ducks. There are always geese around it is just being able to get to them.

Unless you have a line on really good private land to Pheasant hunt I wouldn't count on being able to double dip. If you don't get into public land early in the morning you will probably be hunting in someone else's tracks. Thanksgiving is a special Doe season as well so plan to compete with groups of 10 -12 slug hunters running through public land as well.

Good luck, you have heard about the blight that wiped out the Pheasants :)!

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did see the post regarding the "blight" in Iowa. We will be hunting on private land and we typically have pretty decent luck. Its not SD standards, but theres 12 hours less driving.

Thanks...

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
A nice looking rooster flew out in front of me on the way to work this morning, first one I have seen for a while. Kinda got the fever going!! Its been wet here hopefully not too wet for the Pheasants! If you have private land lined up you shouldn't have a problem and getting some duck hunting in might be worthwhile. Have a good trip!

·
Registered
400 Posts
SE Iowa Duck Hunting

DuckTruk, I have a blind on the Illinois side of the Mississippi, that is 20 minutes from my place in Burlington, IA. I'm sure that I'll have an open hole for you on a week day at that time if/when you get tired of chasing after that one Pheasant that IowaBayDog was talking about. :) Someone else mentioned seeing an Iowa Pheasant recently also. Maybe there are actually two birds left in the State :wink:
Let me hear if you're interested in a river hunt.
Bob

·
Registered
276 Posts
I shoot my share of birds on public land still the thing is you have to be smarter than the average bird.

I shoot very few in the morning also. 8)

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the invite.....I may take you up on that. My cousin's farm that we will be hunting on has a HUGE number of pheasants. He said they killed 3 last year and saw 2 more!!

All kidding aside, the last time I went ( 2004 ) it was pretty bleak pheasant wise. We hunted for 3 days and wound up with 6 birds (2 hunters). We had about the same results the year before, so I decided to give it a break for a while. Now I can't stand it anymore. I have to get back at em...........both of em!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts