RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some help from some of the old timers. I am looking for help in the form of calls, cd, or lessons. I need help mastering the old feeding chuckle. I hunt in Michigan at the local management areas. I have and use the power hen. but have my old calls as well. I did do some competition 35 yrs ago but things have changed. I am not talking about the "duk-a-duk-a-ducka" chuckle. If you heard the old chuckle it is a magnet. And no it's not the scotch call. There used to be a guy up towards Saginaw,Mi. that gave lessons and made calls. Can any on help.

Erick Pfeifer

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
If you are asking for help in sounding like ducks feeding, Zink's "Mallards Gone Wild" or Keith Allen's CD are very good (www.pureduck.com). Otherwise, I dunno.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Anuther is RNT s "Right Stuff" instructional series and practice practice practice,John and Jimbo and Butch =good people. Jim

·
Registered
881 Posts
Come to the Mich Duck Hunters Waterfowl show in Bay City Aug 4 and 5 and hook up with Todd Aloff or Curt Meppelink or their kids. Great guys and a good show. It is better to get a FREE face to face than a CD.
http://quackerattacker.net/

Also catch up with the featured Decoy Carver for this year and say HI and we will talk about our pups.

·
Registered
15,660 Posts
Anuther is RNT s "Right Stuff" instructional series and practice practice practice,John and Jimbo and Butch =good people. Jim
I keep a copy of that CD in the truck and listen and practice to it either at the park or an empty parking lot...will get the occasional stare but not many other places to practice

·
Registered
217 Posts
I keep a copy of that CD in the truck and listen and practice to it either at the park or an empty parking lot...will get the occasional stare but not many other places to practice
I had to resort to the car or while working with my dog in the field. My wife kicked my out of the house, because it was annoying her.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Are you talking about varying the cadence of "tic" speeding up and slowing down, mixing in a few soft quacks?. I have a sound file of my "meat" comp routine that you can listen too although it has a down and dirty rolling feed chatter all done on the PH2 but I dont think thats what your looking for

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
understatement I am sure. Man I would love to hear it, and see the reactions. Hope you are doing well.

Personally, the chuckle has always been a transition call for me. It is that three note lonesome Suzie call that is deadly. I have never seen a mallard jerk his head on a chuckle, no matter how fancy it is.

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
I need some help from some of the old timers. I am looking for help in the form of calls, cd, or lessons. I need help mastering the old feeding chuckle. I hunt in Michigan at the local management areas. I have and use the power hen. but have my old calls as well. I did do some competition 35 yrs ago but things have changed. I am not talking about the "duk-a-duk-a-ducka" chuckle. If you heard the old chuckle it is a magnet. And no it's not the scotch call. There used to be a guy up towards Saginaw,Mi. that gave lessons and made calls. Can any on help.

Erick Pfeifer

Was the Saginaw guy a great big guy named "Bob Hill"? He used to hold the sanctioned contests at Pt. Mouillee. He's a good caller.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Could the guy have been Art Beauchamp (beechum) a hardware store owner from Flint who also made and family still makes Arkansas calls. Art was the 1st Champion of Champions at Stuttgart according to his stories. Never hunted on Sunday since he also was a preacher. He spent a lot of time in the St Charles area around the Flats. Teaching and hunting. Utterly amazing caller and gentleman!

·
Registered
60 Posts
A lot of guys like to run off the rapid fire feeding chuckles. If you actually listen to ducks, they only do that when they are flying. When listening to ducks on the water/field you will hear much more staggered notes. They won't be run on in rapid succession.

Mix it up, a couple, stuttered feeder notes, soft quack to keep the ducks interested or when they are swinging around.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
I agree that is a bold statement. No one that I have ever heard. And if they are ranked on calling ducks or on television I have heard them. The man is just freakishly good at sounding like a bunch of ducks feeding. I guess that is why he is called "The Refugeman".

1 - 20 of 20 Posts