RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
Banx - Boykin Spaniel
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody!

I just got my Smartwork program in the mail and super excited to get started. I decided to create a video giving an intro overview of my pup, as well as a quick unboxing from gundogsupply. Wanted to turn this into a video series with weekly updates every Sunday with an overview of the training from the week prior. This series and channel is mainly to highlight my 20 week old Boykin Spaniel Banx and see what level I can get him to starting with absolutely 0 retriever training experience.
I have done countless hours of research on different programs and finally bit the bullet on the Smartwork program. I hope this can help others like myself that are doing research into their first dog programs as to if the Smartwork program is the right program for them.

Wish me luck, and I hope you enjoy!

-Jordan

·
Registered
Banx - Boykin Spaniel
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good Morning Everybody,

Just posted up my first episode after the Intro to the series last weekend. Having lots of fun, and learning a ton! Just trying to keep Banx busy for the next 2 months as he transitions and starts getting a bit more mature and growing all his adult teeth. Then the real fun begins!

·
Registered
12,356 Posts
Dang! That is a lot of DVDs in that box Jordan. A great looking pup, you are going to have fun to have fun .
Tracker, it is not just how many bumpers you will need but how many of what color and how many of what size. And don't forget Birds, and boxes to carry your live Birds, and bags and satchels to carry your gear,
And tossers or Wingers to throw your birds and bumpers and remotes and chargers and healing sticks don't forget a really good first aid kit for man and Beast. Proper Footwear for the wet fields and mucky conditions and training grounds that have fields and wet areas and ponds retriever club membership so you have friends to throw birds for you and gosh you need some gasoline in the tank........
It's kinda a slippery slope😎

·
Registered
12,356 Posts
Sorry no Tracker,
I use the Total Retriever Training materials from Mike Lardy and training alone Dennis Voight DVDs from the same source.
But it is all similar as far as gear.
Start with a rope, a stick and a dog.
And poof! Purty soon your building a bird pen.

·
Registered
68 Posts
The cheapest part is buying the pup
I would buy a couple 2 inch white bumpers and some wings ,a healing stick, check cord and build yourself a place board 2 foot by 2 foot with carpet on top start there
After awhile you can get into the launchers and holding blinds etc
It gets expensive real quick
Im a lardy and voigt fan as well nothing against evan i think the smartworks are best for first time trainers

·
Registered
Banx - Boykin Spaniel
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tracker,
To be honest, I have not made it too far into the DVD’s. Only watched the Puppy Program and part of Obedience. I’ve done a bit of reading but not far enough to know what equipment to necessarily order yet. Since Banx only just hit 22 weeks old, I think I got at least another month before I get into some more stringent training with obedience. He still needs to lose quite a bit of puppy teeth and get more mature. I just know I have time before I absolutely need all this gear. Right now I have a check cord, 2 white bumpers, 1 black and white and 3 paint rollers which is plenty for me to get by right now. Going to get an ecollar fairly soon. Had a family emergency this weekend, so had to put my dvd watching on hold.
Will update you as I find out!

·
Registered
Banx - Boykin Spaniel
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dang! That is a lot of DVDs in that box Jordan. A great looking pup, you are going to have fun to have fun .
Tracker, it is not just how many bumpers you will need but how many of what color and how many of what size. And don't forget Birds, and boxes to carry your live Birds, and bags and satchels to carry your gear,
And tossers or Wingers to throw your birds and bumpers and remotes and chargers and healing sticks don't forget a really good first aid kit for man and Beast. Proper Footwear for the wet fields and mucky conditions and training grounds that have fields and wet areas and ponds retriever club membership so you have friends to throw birds for you and gosh you need some gasoline in the tank........
It's kinda a slippery slope😎

Man Ken,
I’m already overwhelmed with 14 DVDs and a brick of a book in my hand! Then you had to go drop this bombshell on me. 😂 Glad I got time tho! Glad I got the program when he turned 20 weeks so I have time to get through the whole program and know what the next steps are at all times prior to formal training. Also, just did a first introduction to gun fire this morning which has been my biggest fear only because I grew up with dogs that were all afraid of thunder. Went as good as it could possibly go. Super excited for what’s in store!

-Jordan

·
Registered
12,356 Posts
14! Holy Carp! Now Guys, do not get all flubbersnuffed if your pup does not progress in the exact time frame as all the videos. Every pup is different and everybody makes mistakes. EVERYONE!
It seems like a hundred years ago I received my 4 Lardy vhs tapes in the mail. I am able to remember what you are feeling. It is easy to get overwhelmed. Always remember to make it FUN!

·
Registered
Banx - Boykin Spaniel
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey everyone,

Made my 2nd Episode (3rd video ever) in this little training series! Please remember that I have never trained a dog before so this is all completely new to me! Doing as much research as possible, and studying Smartwork. Having tons of fun. For the next few weeks, going to just be passively training, then January 10th, at 26 weeks old, I plan to start hitting obedience hard! Super, super excited.

This week, I attempted short double marks and failed miserably. Stupidly learned that snow and white bumpers don't go together:unsure:, and introduced Banx to gunfire! Man this little brown dog wants to go, go, go, and then go some more!

-Jordan

·
Registered
12,356 Posts
Jordan, very nice video. I like that I can clearly see you and your dog are having fun. Maybe the dog a little bit more than you but that is to be expected. I like that you were using the word release. So many use give or drop and that can have issues with casual conversation I could tell stories but no need to Branch off at this point. I wouldn't worry so much about doubles at this time I would work on sit more while you're tossing the single retrieve doubles will come later. I very much like your ability to make a homemade check Court I have been a proponent of rope here on RTF for a couple decades. I do not know why you cut the ropes off your bumpers but that's a personal choice you made and who am I to judge. Keep having fun good job.

·
Registered
12,356 Posts
Your next purchases should be, in my opinion. A healing stick and some dark/drab canvas bumpers for winter snow work. You don't need orange right now and for most dogs they are completely invisible in the snow except for a few golden retrievers I have had contact with.

·
Registered
Banx - Boykin Spaniel
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Your next purchases should be, in my opinion. A healing stick and some dark/drab canvas bumpers for winter snow work. You don't need orange right now and for most dogs they are completely invisible in the snow except for a few golden retrievers I have had contact with.
Thanks Ken! This is all great to know! I pulled the rope off the bumpers because Banx has been going right to the rope consistently instead of grabbing the bumpers by the body. Also good to know about double marks. I will focus on singles for now. Mr. Graham did a little double work to build pups memories when young, but I guess now that I look at it, these were also younger dogs than mine. Banx has a very good memory, specifically when I take sticks from him before coming inside. When we go back out hours later, he goes directly to where I threw the stick to play with it. I planned on ordering a healing stick here with an e-collar very shorty. And really appreciate the input about the dark bumpers. I wasn't sure what my best option would be for this winter snow. Yes, we are having tons of fun, and definitely him more than me at times.

-Jordan

·
Registered
Banx - Boykin Spaniel
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If you want to "fix" your white bumpers really fast so your pup can see them in snow, just use black electricians or duct tape. Wrap it around the bumper in the middle or at both ends and you have black and white bumpers.
I was thinking about doing that, but decided against it ONLY because warmer weather was going to be melting the snow for the time being. I do have 1 black and white bumper also, just forgot it and I didn’t realize how bad the snow was going to make it. Very stupid of me, I know. Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
My lab pup wanted to do the same thing on doubles, go for the memory bird first, essentially make both marks memory. That resolved itself in time. So don't worry about it. Don't do many double yet, keep it to singles, fun, simple and get him to learn to use his eyes to mark. Using the nose comes naturally.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Keep in mind that learning is best done with a large dose of precise repetition. Many years ago, we had our son
begin taking piano lessons. The very first day, the instructor emphasized that precise practice was significantly
important. Her initial mindset was one that I never forgot. Basically, if you make a mistake, it takes ten times doing
that single skill correctly to get back to even. The primary issue with most new trainers is not knowing what a
mistake in progress looks like. Precise practice promotes better advancement.

Keep a journal. Forgetting what happened in the recent past is a relentless drag on the art of teaching.

That initial problem with throwing doubles is an example. What was done to "resolve" the issue? What could
have been done to make it a non-issue? Training is more effective when one teaches the lesser skills that
are required to do the next, newest presentation.

The usual technique is to throw them at 180° which would minimize the influence of the 1st vs. the 2nd. Also, one
could throw the double very wide so that the "go" mark would be pushed by the heeling position while blocking
and distracting the pup away from the other toss. And if you are really into this being an issue have a fenceline
separating the two AOFs. ;)

On the other hand, maybe some simple pile work practice (in advance) would have enabled you to direct the focus
of the pup to where it was supposed to go on the very first, wide presentation.

Answering the question "What does my pup need to know well before we do (skill wise) this next, new lesson?"
usually avoids issues.

·
Registered
Banx - Boykin Spaniel
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Keep in mind that learning is best done with a large dose of precise repetition. Many years ago, we had our son
begin taking piano lessons. The very first day, the instructor emphasized that precise practice was significantly
important. Her initial mindset was one that I never forgot. Basically, if you make a mistake, it takes ten times doing
that single skill correctly to get back to even. The primary issue with most new trainers is not knowing what a
mistake in progress looks like. Precise practice promotes better advancement.

Keep a journal. Forgetting what happened in the recent past is a relentless drag on the art of teaching.

That initial problem with throwing doubles is an example. What was done to "resolve" the issue? What could
have been done to make it a non-issue? Training is more effective when one teaches the lesser skills that
are required to do the next, newest presentation.

The usual technique is to throw them at 180° which would minimize the influence of the 1st vs. the 2nd. Also, one
could throw the double very wide so that the "go" mark would be pushed by the heeling position while blocking
and distracting the pup away from the other toss. And if you are really into this being an issue have a fenceline
separating the two AOFs. ;)

On the other hand, maybe some simple pile work practice (in advance) would have enabled you to direct the focus
of the pup to where it was supposed to go on the very first, wide presentation.

Answering the question "What does my pup need to know well before we do (skill wise) this next, new lesson?"
usually avoids issues.
Wow, I appreciate all the insight Jim! I have so much work to do, and so much to learn. Appreciate all the input and constructive criticism I have been getting through the community! This is definitely a fun journey, and really excited for what's to come!

Kind of planning to take it fairly easy for the next few weeks until I hit formal OB hard.
Speaking of formal OB, what can be considered too much training during this period? Can a 6 month old pup handle 3 separate 5-10 minute heel/sit/here sessions per day? Morning, Lunch, Dinner times? I want to do at least a couple daily, morning and lunch, and would love for my wife to do the 3rd session at night so Banx gets handled by her as well.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
If you want to "fix" your white bumpers really fast so your pup can see them in snow, just use black electricians or duct tape. Wrap it around the bumper in the middle or at both ends and you have black and white bumpers.

Might have to try that. Dont have a dog right now that needs them but what ever happened to black bumpers??????? Cant find them anywhere.

Jordan I commend you on your dedication to your project and he looks like a very nice little pup. There are quite a few things I would do different but there is more than one way to skin a cat. I need to ask about doubles though. Even though he goes for the memory bumper first does he remember the other after he picks up the memory? In any case I would stop doing doubles. I will generally test a puppies aptitude for the concept and will occasionally throw doubles but not much until the dog is steady. I think most important is to let the dog tell you where he needs to go in training. Your communication with the dog is the most important part of training. Training books and videos dont tell you what to do if things dont go right. It is up to you to figure out how to make things work. You seem like a smart guy so learn the basic concepts for training from your book and videos then think for yourself on how to communicate and teach the dog those concepts.
Will be looking forward to your next video. Looks like fun, makes me want a new puppy

1 - 20 of 63 Posts