RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a 2 year old dog from Robert Milner's DuckHill. I was assured the dog was not gun shy. First shots of teal season from 1/2 mile away, she ran off. I didn't find her for three days. I can't get a straight answer from Milner or Mauri the manager. They don't answer emails or phone calls. I was told if I wasn't happy by Mauri, she would give me my money back. Right now I have a $3500 couch dog that won't hunt. Any similar results from others with the kennel or Milner.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
How long ago did you buy her? Did you go to the kennel and watch her in training? or get videos of her working/being shot over? Did you do any training with her after you purchased her?

I have sold two young dogs this year and sent videos and information about what type of training they had. Hopefully Robert will get back with you regarding the issue and it is a relief you found her!

·
Registered
314 Posts
Can’t get your money back if they won’t answer emails or calls...just saying....

·
Registered
15,660 Posts
for the OP I hope you have your guarantee in some form of a contract, otherwise you may have to explore your legal options.

I have no sides in this matter ( I purposely chose not to use the dog metaphor/cliche commonly used) but I would advise you to tread lightly and choose your words carefully should you need to seek legal help...

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
How long ago did you buy her? Did you go to the kennel and watch her in training? or get videos of her working/being shot over? Did you do any training with her after you purchased her?

I have sold two young dogs this year and sent videos and information about what type of training they had. Hopefully Robert will get back with you regarding the issue and it is a relief you found her!
Geez, How does putting bamafish on trial help his situation?

I'd call the guy from another phone to inquire about buying a dog. I bet he'll return that call.
When he does, have him hear you out and give him a chance to right the situation first.
Then if you're not satisfied, and assuming you have a contract, have a lawyer write a letter.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Geez, How does putting bamafish on trial help his situation?

I'd call the guy from another phone to inquire about buying a dog. I bet he'll return that call.
When he does, have him hear you out and give him a chance to right the situation first.
Then if you're not satisfied, and assuming you have a contract, have a lawyer write a letter.
Wasn't trying to. They are legitimate questions that I thought should be asked. What, if any training, has 'bamafish' done with the dog since he bought her? Did she arrive two days ago and he just up and decided to go hunting? How long has he had her in his possession? Was he even hunting when this happened? It just seems a strange post. If he said, 2 months ago I bought a 2 yr old dog and during training, I discovered she was gun shy." then his allegations would at least 'appear' to be legitimate. But saying "I bought a dog and she heard shots fired a half mile away and ran off, lost for three days" Seems like someone who is not very 'dog smart' to me? I guess what I am saying is I don't think there is enough info about the situation for anyone to say the dog is or isn't gun shy.

I hope the guy gets his money back as he is obviously not happy with the dog and according to him, there was a guarantee. Your suggestion to call from a different line looking for a started dog is brilliant, BTW>

·
Registered
12,188 Posts
Hello Bamafish and welcome to the RTF.
Heck of a first post. Not the duck season opener you were hoping for I bet. I hope it all gets resolved and you are able to return or place the dog. I am sure word will get to your breeder that an active RTF RTF thread is going on about them. We are everywhere.
Now I do apologize if I am wrong. I hope I am wrong. Reading you original/only post. The vibe I took was the classic story of...
Noob buys "trained " hunting dog.
Noob doesn't work with the dog.
Noob goes out opening morning with a group of friends to show off the new dog.
Dog runs away with noob pressing all the buttons on the transmitter he does not know how to use.

I hope I am wrong and apologize if I am.
That's my vibe

Ken Bora

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Hello Bamafish and welcome to the RTF.
Heck of a first post. Not the duck season opener you were hoping for I bet. I hope it all gets resolved and you are able to return or place the dog. I am sure word will get to your breeder that an active RTF RTF thread is going on about them. We are everywhere.
Now I do apologize if I am wrong. I hope I am wrong. Reading you original/only post. The vibe I took was the classic story of...
Noob buys "trained " hunting dog.
Noob doesn't work with the dog.
Noob goes out opening morning with a group of friends to show off the new dog.
Dog runs away with noob pressing all the buttons on the transmitter he does not know how to use.

I hope I am wrong and apologize if I am.
That's my vibe

Ken Bora

Well Mr Bora, even if your right Duckhill did not do their job. I wont hand over a dog unless Im pretty darn sure the person I am selling the dog to is going to take care of him and knows how to handle him. I sold dogs as far away as So Carolina and the new owner flew out here for lessons. Thats good for me cuz I dont have to worry about the dog, good for the new owner cuz he can see what he is paying good money for and last but certainly not least good for the dog!
I did sell one dog to a guy in CO that I didnt know to well but the dog was good enough to take care of him;-);-):razz:, hope he reads this.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
May have hit the nail on the head with that one Ken considering Milner is not a proponent of e-collars!

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Well Mr Bora, even if your right Duckhill did not do their job. I wont hand over a dog unless Im pretty darn sure the person I am selling the dog to is going to take care of him and knows how to handle him.
I was thinking the same thing. I won't even return a client dog unless the owner goes through a session with me and I have him handle the dog after I demonstrate. Multiple retrieves, marks and/or blinds depending upon the dog's level. And shooting with birds coming out of the wingers -- using plenty loud Fiocchi poppers, proper use of the ecollar, etc.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
i was thinking the same thing. I won't even return a client dog unless the owner goes through a session with me and i have him handle the dog after i demonstrate. Multiple retrieves, marks and/or blinds depending upon the dog's level. And shooting with birds coming out of the wingers -- using plenty loud fiocchi poppers, proper use of the ecollar, etc.

yep and hopefully multiple sessions

·
Registered
277 Posts
I agree with Tobias, this is a weird post. Not enough info and isn't $3500 for a finished gundog from Duckhill seem very very reasonable. I imagine the puppies from that place sell for around $2000. I suspect a finished gundog is way more than $3500. The OP isn't giving any more info so maybe it is all worked out. I hope so.

·
Registered
8,273 Posts
Could be the Yeti of the retriever world. The "started " retriever.
I have a FT friend (former RTF member/user) who enjoys all things Bigfoot. T-shirts, bumper stickers, lore etc.

He was going to attend a Yeti Festival for entertainment. A young person who heard the dialogue expressed:

"I don't understand how a cooler brand can be so big that they'd hold a festival for it."

That is an example of excellent marketing. Speaking of excellent marketing - I remember a Forbes magazine cover once. But that opens another can of worms - ironically related to this thread topic.

Chris

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
I have a FT friend (former RTF member/user) who enjoys all things Bigfoot. T-shirts, bumper stickers, lore etc.

He was going to attend a Yeti Festival for entertainment. A young person who heard the dialogue expressed:

"I don't understand how a cooler brand can be so big that they'd hold a festival for it."

That is an example of excellent marketing. Speaking of excellent marketing - I remember a Forbes magazine cover once. But that opens another can of worms - ironically related to this thread topic.
Mr. A (and Chef Niles Bora - but particularly Mr. A, purveyor of good stuff and good parables), my dysfunctionally started but never finished dog et a whole shoo-fly pie Sunday morning while the rest of us was at that theah religious endeavor known as training, but known to be anathema and to go down like XXX-rancid castor oil for "the Cun'nel" and most of his customuhs ovah to Duck(sh)ill...

MG

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
I think the lack of a response by the OP is pretty indicative this was nothing more than a 'fishing' expedition.

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
I think the lack of a response by the OP is pretty indicative this was nothing more than a 'fishing' expedition.
So y'all sayin' duh Cun'nel done got hisself "catfished and released" from his contractal obligations? Hmm, thinkin' I's heard that 'un before. Better question might be is he still got any o' them "Silver Canoe Lab" brood b!tches to market for the greater good of HRH, the island race, HMS Pinafore, and last but not least, his general, er, his Cun'nel-ly abhorrence of 'Merican-bred (a/k/a field trial) retrievers.

MG

1 - 19 of 19 Posts