RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tell me about your duck hunting rig. My pops and I are searching for a good boat mainly for duck hunting but also for a little fishing as well. We are pretty set on the motor its between a Gatortail or Prodrive for sure. Just wanted to get an idea as to what some folks on here like/dislike since a good population on here duck hunt

Any pics welcome as well thanks!

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
Currently using a Lowe Jon Boat, 16' powered by a 30 HP Evinrude. I gun out of a meadow box or from a backrest. I have good power and a lot of room. I have gone out into Great South Bay with 3 gunners, 2 dogs, and 18 duck decoys and half a dozen geese. I use the boat to fish the same area.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Currently using a Lowe Jon Boat, 16' powered by a 30 HP Evinrude. I gun out of a meadow box or from a backrest. I have good power and a lot of room. I have gone out into Great South Bay with 3 gunners, 2 dogs, and 18 duck decoys and half a dozen geese. I use the boat to fish the same area.
Does your boat have a live well on it at all?

·
Registered
642 Posts
I've owned a lot of boats, in fact I own 5 right now! The best duck hunting boat I have ever owned was a Gator Trax. Built tough and great for hunting out of. Will last a lifetime in normal use. I suppose I could fish out of it too but I already have a nice fishing boat. :rolleyes: I know, it is a sickness - at least my spouse thinks I am a little nuts to have a different boat for every situation but hey, a man's got to have the right tool for the job . . . RIGHT?

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have a War Eagle 860 with a 90 Yamaha, no problems hunting Lake Seminole in the winter and fishing the flats and tidal creeks down here on the Gulf during the spring, summer, and fall. Have an Avery quick set blind that goes on in the winter, and a minnkota bow mount trolling motor that goes on after duck season.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've owned a lot of boats, in fact I own 5 right now! The best duck hunting boat I have ever owned was a Gator Trax. Built tough and great for hunting out of. Will last a lifetime in normal use. I suppose I could fish out of it too but I already have a nice fishing boat. :rolleyes: I know, it is a sickness - at least my spouse thinks I am a little nuts to have a different boat for every situation but hey, a man's got to have the right tool for the job . . . RIGHT?
Completely agree I looked at that website.. How sick is that gator trax hide model!! Oh dad can we get that one haha if you think about it he wants a deck to fish off of and that thing is a whole entire deck!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have also looked at war eagle beautiful boats If it was up to me I would have it but my dad wants something with a live well and a nice deck to put a swivel seat for casting. We are duck hunters first and formost we only fish like three times a year what the heck :confused:

·
Registered
217 Posts
I have a wareagle 1548 in bottomland camo with a Yamaha 40 hp fuel injected 4 stroke and a 1642 with a evinrude 25 hp

·
Registered
17,222 Posts
Tell me about your duck hunting rig. My pops and I are searching for a good boat mainly for duck hunting but also for a little fishing as well. We are pretty set on the motor its between a Gatortail or Prodrive for sure. Just wanted to get an idea as to what some folks on here like/dislike since a good population on here duck hunt

Any pics welcome as well thanks!
You can't go wrong with either Prodrive or Gatortail. They are the boat and motor choice of many that use them to earn a living in the marsh. I would suggest a custom Gatortail boat with a Pro Drive surface drive engine. The reverse on the Pro Drive engine is a must in shallow or in zero water conditions.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have also looked at war eagle beautiful boats If it was up to me I would have it but my dad wants something with a live well and a nice deck to put a swivel seat for casting. We are duck hunters first and formost we only fish like three times a year what the heck :confused:

I've got a livewell on mine and also swivel seats for the front deck and back deck, strangely I only use them for duck hunting and not for fishing though.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
We are pretty set on the motor its between a Gatortail or Prodrive for sure.
Since these were the "motors of choice", I'm assuming you are looking for a "mud rig". I have a 17'6"X48 Phowler Extreme with a 27 HP ProDrive. The boat planes out quickly and is plenty fast enough for me (I'm 71). I added two upgrades to the boat 1) an extended deck and 2) a transom step. Both were well worth the money.

It has a "brush cutter bow" which adds the extra foot and a half. In addition, this rig has an "open" configuration. I don't like the clutter of extra built in seats or gun boxes. "Open" makes it better for a dog, too.

With high sides and a tall transom, this rig is very safe in the Mississippi River (when you are aware). I added a Bimini top for summer fishing which makes a huge difference in comfort.

The aluminum flat bottom has longitudinal stringers (that's good) and a thickness of 1.25" (that's good, too). I hunt alone most of the time and it is perfect. If I were going to hunt two or more regularly, I'd definitely move up to a 17'-18'X52"(or wider) boat with a 36 HP ProDrive. The extra width will actually translate to being able to run shallower water.

I should mention that before I ended up with this boat, I received a lot of good advice from a few RTF members.

A word of advice......from experience.....plan on getting it really struck in the mud at least once. Ask me how I know. ;)

Here's a YouTube video link to a Mississippi River backwater "shake down" cruise with Taffey as my "lookout". In fact, where we flew through the really shallow "grassy" cut was where I buried her two weeks later.

The Kwick Rig (YouTube video)

·
Registered
877 Posts
I have a Lowe Roughneck 1860, ran a GoDevil on it for awhile and now I have Johnson OB and an AveryQuickset blind.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks everyone for the responses so far its greatly appreciated, keep em comin

·
Registered
321 Posts
I have a 2072 SEAARK. As good a boat if not better than a WarEagle. Sure is less expensive. My friend is in the Coast Guard and he tells me that is the only aluminum boat the coast guard uses. Powered by a Honda 90 HP. Very stable boat. Livewell option is available.
Good Luck!

·
Registered
358 Posts
-Test Drive what your interesting in before buying.
-Dealers, Warranty, Location , location , location.....
-War Eagle is a nice hull just not for a Mud Motor ( Period )
-Flat Bottom, 7' Rake, Longitudinal Braceing, 5086 .125 hull= mud boat
-round chine, square chine, taper chine, double taper chine, triple taper chine, etc , etc???????? Do you know what you want???
-Pro Dive has the least amount of tiller torque of any Mud Motor and nothing beats FPR
-biggest mistakes, skimping on hull type, to much crap added, to the hull and lack of horsepower.

Put all the right pieces together and theres not much that can stop you....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAvRPk4COWk

·
Registered
455 Posts
I use a 2072 sea ark tunnel hull with 26" pods and a 115 evenrood. I put a custom enterer in it with a live well and a center counsel. We also build custom blinds so it has a real nice one on it.
Duane

the only shot of the enterer i have lol

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
-Test Drive what your interesting in before buying.
-Dealers, Warranty, Location , location , location.....
-War Eagle is a nice hull just not for a Mud Motor ( Period )
-Flat Bottom, 7' Rake, Longitudinal Braceing, 5086 .125 hull= mud boat
-round chine, square chine, taper chine, double taper chine, triple taper chine, etc , etc???????? Do you know what you want???
-Pro Dive has the least amount of tiller torque of any Mud Motor and nothing beats FPR
-biggest mistakes, skimping on hull type, to much crap added, to the hull and lack of horsepower.

Put all the right pieces together and theres not much that can stop you....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAvRPk4COWk
What do you run mudd? I am trying to digest all this information and I have a couple of questions.
-What is a Rake as mentioned above?
-I understand what chines are but what I am confused about is what is the difference performance wise.

I tried googling this information but I didn't come up with much information at all I really do appreciate all this help guys!

·
Registered
456 Posts
I have a Lowe Roughneck 1760 SC with a 50 HP merc. The boat is a nice fishing boat with a live well and great for duck hunting on Lake Michigan and local rivers. The blind on it is a mud buddy quick flip.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I have an 1846 Round Chine Built to my spec's. with a 50+hp Pro Drive

1 - 20 of 51 Posts