RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in mid-class suburbia and my neighbors already think I am "*******." They are probably correct but I really don't want to build a duck pen in my yard to support their claims even further. Besides I am pretty sure there is a city ordinance against it.
Here's my question....The farmer who is so kind as to let me have full access to his farm has a fairly good sized operating hen house.(Maybe 20 hens)
Does anyone see any problems that could arise from housing a dozen clip wing mallards with the hens? The farmer gave me the OK to do so but I just wanted to make sure no problems happen to the hens or the ducks. Disease?? Fighting??Any thoughts?

Thanks

·
Registered
15,660 Posts
yes, ducks like it wet and chickens like conditions dry, ducks and chicken can coexist in an open yard but if the farmer has an egg laying set of hens, your ducks will soon become a nuisance in the hen house and eat like there is no tomorrow, you might want to come up with a plan to sequester them in a separate area..but if the farmer thinks they can do it,then so be it

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
When I've young dogs, I keep a couple pinioned English caller drakes in my homer loft, which only has a 4'x6' footprint without issues. The waterer is such that they can only stick their heads in to drink, and being pinioned (end joint of one wing removed) keeps them from leaving the floor to be a bother to nesting birds. I'd think that if pigeons can hold their own on the floor with them, chickens certainly could.

(If your friend's chicken house is withing earshot of his home, he might prefer that you only keep males. I can keep drakes in town without anyone knowing they're there, but wouldn't want a hen in my yard for long.)

·
Registered
192 Posts
I have kept ducks and chickens together with no problems - probably alot depends on how large his chicken pen is. And the ducks would be much happier if you could add a small something they could get wet in - but then that causes a mess also (ducks are slobs!).
Diane

·
Registered
915 Posts
We used to keep chickens and ducks together. Then spring came along and the drakes were feeling amorous. They'd mount the hen ducks until they nested. Then they switched to chicken hens. They'd chase the chickens all over the place until they caught them and raped them many times and usually it was a gang bang! Never did have any youngins though from any of those hen chickens. What would you call them? Chucks or duckens?

BHB

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow, ducks are a bunch of gang rapeing slobs.
I think I will save myself the headache and build a pen. Im glad I asked
Thanks for the input folks.

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
Wow, ducks are a bunch of gang rapeing slobs.
Wait till /paul sees this- been telling that little baskird that for years.

Beavers is better regards

Bubba

·
Banned
9 Posts
avoid fighting with chicken coop

hey are you suffering from ducks that are mixed with you chickens and creating a bad situation :confused: i think yes. so you have to take thoose chicken coop that is useful and let not the ducks come in your chicken coop. so there http://15homeremedies.com/911/chicken-coop/ is a chicken coop that may help you to avoid your problem . and i hope you can save your chickens with the help of that.:p thanks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts