RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone here know, or know where I can find out about raising a few ducks. I have a buddy that has a small farm and he has the standard chickens, pigs, goats, cows… I am thinking of trying to talk him into raising a few ducks. By a few I really don’t know what I mean, a few dozen, 50, 100. That is one of the things I would like to find out. Is it as easy/hard to have 20 as it is 100? Is it more effort than it is worth? Depending on how hard and costly it is, he has the room and time to raise a lot more if it could be profitable to him.
Any help?

·
Registered
394 Posts
It can be profitable in the long run but you sure wont get rich. Hopefully you can pay for the pen and all the equipment that you had to get. I was in the duck business for about a year but I did not live on the property my 1500 ducks were at so I could not keep them on a good feeding program so I bought a 175 gallon all weather feeder for them but they ate way too much than it was worth. Food killed us...but if you can manage how much they eat that will save you some money too. Start out with just a few to see how you like it then progress to some more birds.
Good luck!

Robert Rogers

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
I was raising quail and those devils can eat you out of house and home!!

You really need a market for them in the beginning.

Gonna try quail again this year because I have a market.

Jerry

·
Registered
85 Posts
MESSY!!! Ducks will make the worst mess you have ever seen with a little water and some feed. If they have access to dirt, it will be 3X as bad. I've only raised 15-30 at a time, but it was a chore keeping the cute little fuzzy things clean. That said, they are pretty tough, and don't eat as much as chickens do. Predator killed my last bunch and haven't brought myself to raise more regards,

Lisa

·
Registered
7,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info. Like I said it is a friend who alrady has other animals including a lot of chickens. I don't think he is wanting to get rich from it, but would do it for me as a favor if I can add some $$ support and still get some ducks for less than I already pay I would be happy.

·
Registered
813 Posts
The important thing is acess to water, preferably water without alligators :lol:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts