RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has any one owned , or have seen pups out of Big Black Dude II MH run, or been around any of his pups?

·
Registered
358 Posts
I've never personally laid my hands on Dude or a pup by him....All the reviews I've heard about his offspring have been nothing but extremely positive. From what I hear, pups have been carrying a lot of his traits. I know Clark Kennington passed 1 of Dude's pups, Man, in the Spring Grand at 2 1/2 years old. Not sure if there were more than ran or not. I do know that Dude is on top of my list of dogs to have a pup out of. That's just my opinion from word of mouth but like I said I've never personally trained one.

·
Registered
732 Posts
I like him. He's big (80 lbs) @ 1 year old but hes smart. He tends to be soft if he doesn't understand something but once he gets it he can really handle the pressure well. I talked to Stephen Durrence about them (Dude pups) and he said that sounded like most of the ones he had trained. He marks really well but sometimes shows a lack of confidence when running cold blinds. We have only been running cold blinds for a month so I am sure that's part of it. He can be stubborn at times...really, really stubborn but again hes only a year old. All in all I really like him. FF was VERY easy...one of the easiest I have ever FF'd in fact. His only down side was that he seemed to mature a little slowly. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend a Dude pup to anybody especially if they are anything like the one I am training. I would tell whoever was looking though to make sure they would be happy with a dog in the "bigger" side. I think he'll top out about 85-90 lbs and he's not just thick...he's loooong and taaallll too. Seems like if all of the pups are exhibiting similar traits than they should be rather easy for an amateur trainer. He has sure mad my job easier!!

·
Registered
732 Posts
Shelby,

Dude has been bred to a bunch of different females. He seems to be passing similar qualities along regardless of bitch line. That said, I would pick the absolute best female I could and hedge my bet that way. Give Mark or Stephen a call. They are super guys and very easy to work with. Good luck with your Dude pup!!!!!!

·
Registered
923 Posts
I 3rd everything above. My 15 month old is as exactly as described. I'm full on AM and with what I know, I was able to get her to running Seasoned/Senior around the 13 month old period. She really matured BIG time at her first heat.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Here you go Shelby. Her dam is out of Not Willie and Harley lines.

Dog Canidae Labrador retriever Dog breed Sporting Group

·
Registered
732 Posts
Thanks Joe. I was thinking the same thing. By chance do you have a pic of your dog?
Actually, not @ the moment. It is a client dog...not my personal dog. But I tell you what...I'll take one or two of him when I go to feed tonight and email em to ya. pm me your email address.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have a 16 month old female out of Dude that is really nice. She is steady as a rock on the line but hauls off when you send her. She runs straight lines and is doing very well in double T right now. She looks great and is a good size. She went through a short (2-3 month) time when she was very inconsistent and immature after that it has been a breeze to train her. She runs big complex doubles and like I said working on running blind patterns now. I would say go for it. Give them praise and show them what you are looking for and they will perform. She does not like to be in trouble at all. She even trains better if she watches the other dogs get in trouble. Hope this helps.

Dog Mammal Vertebrate Dog breed Canidae Dog Vertebrate Canidae Mammal Dog breed

·
Registered
658 Posts
I have judged Dude at two grands and the 2011 SRS Classic in Huntsville, until that SRS in Huntsville I have not judged Dude through a complete event, he clearly won that event and is an impressive animal. Honestly it is my opinion that Dude has yet to meet the right mate, and although his pups are doing well , when he hits that nick and the get go to the right places then it will be truly impressivive. Findning that special mix is the quest.

·
Registered
923 Posts
One trait I keep seeing from the Dude line is big and blocky. That is more than likely coming from the Yukon old school big guy type dogs.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Dude is a BIG boy and well put together for his size...very proportional. I was quite surprised when I saw him "in person" at how big he really is. He's quiet and well behaved, too.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have a 7 month old Dude pup, she is smart and full of go. For the little I have been doing with her she picks up quick. At 7 months she is in the 55 to 60lbs range, lean and tall. Good luck.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts