RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 5 month old is 6 weeks away from starting his collar conditioning and force fetch. I am positive about the 6 weeks because he has lost three teeth as of yesterday and baseball season ends in the middle of May!!! How do you prevent your dogs from becoming collar-wise...if there is such a thing? Do you just put it on him/her everytime you take him out of the kennel? I have heard that some people actually leave it on them for a week or so at first and then start taking it off at the end of the training sessions. I plan to start TOMORROW putting it on him whenever I take him out of his kennel, and then removing it when I put him up...unless, of course there is a more "proven" way that some of you may know of.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
A "collar wise condition" is definatly something that happens and can be avoided. Sounds like your on the right track, although the wearing it for a week at a time sounds like collar sores wating to happen especially if it has pronounched prongs.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So, if I go 6 weeks where I am putting a dummy collar on him everytime I take him out of the kennel he shouldn't "wise-up" once I put the juice to it?

·
Registered
341 Posts
Put the dummy collar on every time you take the puppy out to do any type of training. I prefer to do this as soon as the puppy is big enough to wear the collar up until CC, but six weeks should be sufficient. As long as the pup associates the collar with going to work and having fun you will be alright.

Take Care,

Travis R. Bullock

·
Registered
593 Posts
I've had my lab (9 months old) on the collar for the past 3 months. He hasn't gotten wise to it yet. I put it on when he's out of the kennel and for training but I find that a lot of time I don't need to use it. If you teach them well I think you can get away with just an occasional nick - I don't think he's been able to correlate when I have the collar on him. I'm an amateur so please take what I suggest knowing I'm not an expert. After Collar Conditioning to Here, using the ecollar at low setting, I was able to condition the pup to avoid stimulation by following my commands. Once he understands that he can avoid stimulation by obeying, I find I only need to "remind" him every once in awhile. I'm very careful not to use the collar more than 2 or 3 times in a session and a lot of times never even touch it. Its been working well for me. I've been told that if you're too harsh with the collar it will destroy your pup's confidence. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
I put the (inactive) e-collar on my last two pups before every training session starting at about 4 months, whether marks or obedience, but not necessarily every time they were out of their kennel since they are house dogs. It doesn't take long to build the association that the collar=training time which they love. As you progress from puppy to more formal obedience you will probably first be using a heeling stick and/or prong collar to introduce pressure before they go into FF and CC. I think they get collar wise from people ONLY using the collar to enforce commands. If you mix up the corrections including after the dog is CC'd they shouldn't get collar wise. In other words don't give a command you aren't prepared to enforce and even after CC, don't rely solely on the collar for enforcement and in theory you'll be fine. Now that said I have one that is collar wise/test wise but I think it's more that she quickly figured out tests are no-punishment zones.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It sounds like you guys are suggesting that I put the dummy collar on him when he is out of the kennel AND training. Not necessarily when I let him out to just romp around. Am I reading that right?

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
DownEast said:
It sounds like you guys are suggesting that I put the dummy collar on him when he is out of the kennel AND training. Not necessarily when I let him out to just romp around. Am I reading that right?
My dogs have worn their ecollars ALWAYS while training and ALSO just at random times during the day... even just romping around. The key is to not just strap it on for training, use it to make corrections EVERY training session, then take it off after training. The dog will quickly learn to associate being "nicked" with having the collar on during a training session.

Often times in a training session, you may not even use the collar... just depends on the situation and what you are doing.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I get what you are saying. For example, put it on and train and then maybe leave it on awhile while he's through training and just playing around. I used a collar on my older dog but it has been awhile. Just trying to get everything fresh in my brain.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
DownEast said:
I get what you are saying. For example, put it on and train and then maybe leave it on awhile while he's through training and just playing around. I used a collar on my older dog but it has been awhile. Just trying to get everything fresh in my brain.
Exactly... get a good training book and read it to refresh even further!!

Happy training!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts