RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are dust mites more prevalent in the Spring or do they cause problems year round? Got a dog that has coat issues every year in the Spring time. His kennel building is dusty year round but the problem only occurs in the Spring. Just trying to narrow this issue down. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,413 Posts
Are dust mites more prevalent in the Spring or do they cause problems year round? Got a dog that has coat issues every year in the Spring time. His kennel building is dusty year round but the problem only occurs in the Spring. Just trying to narrow this issue down. Thanks.
I have a lab that by a blood test is off the scale allergic to dust mites. We did the test when he was really young.

Dust mites live in high humidity. Maybe your dog has other allergies that are not as severe. Magic has some other mild (compared to dustmites) allergies.
He is not having any issues right now and we are both in NC.
Dust has nothing to do with dust mites.
when he was little we did everything. Ran dehumdifers in the summer, boiled and then froze his stuffed toys etc.
Keep him out of the bedroom and away from carpet if possible. Magic can't hang out in our bedroom. He sleeps in the family room which has hard hardwood floor and leather furnture.
At this point he may have outgrown everything to be honest.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
I have to ask...why is his kennel buiding dusty year-round? Dust like that can cause all sorts of respiratory problems.

Meredith

·
Registered
9,767 Posts
seasonal skin disorders are almost always inhalant allergies due to inhaled tree, grass, and/or weed pollen, susceptible individuals often have multiple hypersensitivities

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
seasonal skin disorders are almost always inhalant allergies due to inhaled tree, grass, and/or weed pollen, susceptible individuals often have multiple hypersensitivities
We have lots of pine trees and they are absolutely loaded with pollen right now. What can I do to help him?

·
Registered
9,767 Posts
We have lots of pine trees and they are absolutely loaded with pollen right now. What can I do to help him?
the list is long, we first try various antihistamines, sometimes in combination and sometimes in combination with omega 3/6 fatty acid supplements, trial and error, no regimen works on every individual

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
After what I saw this weekend send him to me! I have a dust free kennel he can stay in. He's a very nice dog,I don't care if all his hair fell out I'd take him.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
After what I saw this weekend send him to me! I have a dust free kennel he can stay in. He's a very nice dog,I don't care if all his hair fell out I'd take him.
Thanks Dave!! So far he is doing okay despite his training!
This coat episode may not be as bad as the previous one. I brushed
him out a few minutes ago and he actually looks better...not great
but better. Getting ready to give him a bath and move him
inside the house. Thank Amy for me again for babysitting!! Next
time I'll take the other half of the entertainment!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts