RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am posting this for a friend of mine who has a 5 month old lab. He is trying to find out at what age should you start to run your pup with the collar attached to the pup but off to get them used to having it on, and at what age or what skill level should you start to use the live collar.

Also, he is looking for reccomendations on which collar to use. He is hoping to find one that he can use for all type of training including water work/ upland and was hoping to be able to use a few remote launchers. His comment was that he was not concerned with the initial investment for the correct equipment.

·
Registered
17,089 Posts
dog

Tell your buddy that if he doesn't know the answers to these basic questions that he has no business strapping an e-collar on a dog! That he better do some serious homework first before he ruins his dog.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Re: dog

Mr Booty said:
Tell your buddy that if he doesn't know the answers to these basic questions that he has no business strapping an e-collar on a dog! That he better do some serious homework first before he ruins his dog.
Yup... i was kinda thinkin the same thing there Mr. Bootay!

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
I agree with Booty and Shayne on this one too...but I'll try to be a bit more constructive.

I would recommend that your friend purchase a quality collar conditioning program guide, like Mike Lardy's CC tape and/or his articles, Vol. I.

I'm sure Evan G also addresses collar conditioning in his Smart Work books, specifically Volume I. (I have only seen Evan's SW Volume II...nice advanced book IMHO).

A quality local professional trainer for some hands on guidance wouldn't hurt either.

I think more dogs have been f'ed up from cruddy CCing and FFing than at any other two easily identifiable points in the training process.

He (she) MUST do their homework BEFORE unwrapping that collar.

OK, now I'll get off the soapbox. I like Dogtra's collars (the 2000nc) TT also makes a quality product.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am sure that he will do his own research thoruoghly before he straps anything on his dog, as would most responsible dog owners. I think he was really looking for some giudance on which models from expirence works the best.

I know he ordered the lardy series because I already asked him to borrow them.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I also agree that alot more knowledge is needed before you strap on an e-collar as it's the fastest way to ruin a dog, but I'll be alittle easier on my fellow dog enthusiast.

1. knowledge is key

2. tritronics or dogtra are considered to be the tops

·
Registered
151 Posts
thunderdan said:
Man, talk about a tough crowd....
I think it was meant in the spirit of "Tough Love", and I agree.

To answer your question, a 5 month old should be wearing a dummy collar or inactive e-collar while doing OB, puppy marks, etc... FF is not started until after adult teeth are in. Most FF first then CC,some CC first then FF, and some will CC certain commands, then FF and then complete CC. Do not use a live e-collar in the field until the dog is thoroughly CC'd, and then only for go,stop,here standards through transition. There are some exceptions and when he gets to that point I think (hope) he will know.

FF- force fetch
CC- collar conditioned

1 - 8 of 8 Posts