RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all!!! I have a question concern about e-collar and my 4month 2week old black lab...I am new to retriever training (hunting) and have a concern about the e-collar....first off I am not against it at all, it is a tool and should be used as such....I cant believe the difference it makes in the response of the dog...I havent used it a lot but the collar is on him whenever we do go out kinda of the just in case thingy......I have used it in training like the Hillmann or the Evans dvds have outlined but I dont want to use it "to much" I was just wondering what everyone here does or would do with a pup this age and so on and so forth...

Hope that doesnt sound to confusing....

camo

·
Registered
227 Posts
only use the collar to reinforce what the dog already knows....dont use it to introduce new things...this is my opinion and has worked for me

however, you must collar condition your dog before jumping right into using it. I used Mike Lardy's collar conditioning program, but there are others out there.

I didnt CC until about 6 months old...there are varying opinions on whether or not to CC or FF first...find a program, have patience, stick with it, and most importantly, have fun training and watching your pup grow and learn new stuff....good luck!

·
Registered
369 Posts
only use the collar to reinforce what the dog already knows....dont use it to introduce new things...this is my opinion and has worked for me

however, you must collar condition your dog before jumping right into using it. I used Mike Lardy's collar conditioning program, but there are others out there.

I didnt CC until about 6 months old...there are varying opinions on whether or not to CC or FF first...find a program, have patience, stick with it, and most importantly, have fun training and watching your pup grow and learn new stuff....good luck!
Well said!:cool:

·
Registered
234 Posts
At 18 weeks, I would put the collar on a shelf. I would take the dog on walks everyday with a lead.....I would go to fields where the pup can be off lead (to develop confidence and independence) I would work on basic obedience (sit, here, heel, kennel) I would continue with the obedience adding distractions. Let the pup have a lot of fun at this age....gradually, increase your standards. THEN around 6 months you can begin collar conditioning.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
so your using it on an 18 week old puppy?
At 18 weeks, I would put the collar on a shelf..
Well he did say this;
I have used it in training like the Hillmann or the Evans dvds have outlined
In Bill Hillmann's 'Training a Retriever Puppy' the collar is put on the puppy in 'Day 8' I believe. He of course wears it for a few training days before it's used to reinforce 'Sit' (With the lowest level -nick- setting) and he uses it at the end of the program for the very beginnings of 'FF'.

Just saying :cool:

/

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
Occassionally I will have to do an ecollar "here" on a dog before I jump into Lardy's ecollar conditioning program. Some require this level of correction especially if they come to me for training without any home schooling on here.

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
Well he did say this;

In Bill Hillmann's 'Training a Retriever Puppy' the collar is put on the puppy in 'Day 8' I believe. He of course wears it for a few training days before it's used to reinforce 'Sit' (With the lowest level -nick- setting) and he uses it at the end of the program for the very beginnings of 'FF'.

Just saying :cool:

/
I believe the Ecollar is always on the dog from Day 5 or even before so the pup gets used to the collar and Day 13 he uses a low nick for sit.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Just skimmed back through it.
Here's my notes;

Day 12 *18 days later* Pup is now 15 ½ weeks old
– Intro to Dead Duck
First E-Collar –nick- (On lowest possible level)to reinforce ‘Sit’
{Bill only -nicks- him once the entire training day}

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
K I mentioned that I am using it as they outlined in the Hillmann and Evans dvd's he has received very few nicks and yes it is a reinforcement (not that he needs it) not a punishment which is something I don't believe in at all....He has worn the collar from about 11-12 weeks with no nicks until just recently...I put the collar on him as to not get him "collar wise" as once again outlined in the training dvd's....

He gets to be a puppy very much....We, my wife and two kids condition him more with love and rubs than anything else...generally everyday after supper we can be found (or not) walking in the field behind the house or our bush in the back, the whole time he is off lead and exploring....life for us right now is about having fun while we learn...

His obediencea at this stage is excellent...heeling, sitting when I stop, here....all of these he is performing flawlessly...I see or have no reason to "inforce" any of these commands at this point...We train every weekend with another guy (retriever trainer) and Diezel (my pup) is retrieving pigeons from zingers out to 60-80 yards and being shot over with poppers without breaking a sweat...He would do it all day long but we end it after 10-15 mins and leave him WANTING more....soon as he sees the whistle and .410 hes jumping and ready to go....

I am so proud and happy with my pup he is hands down the best dog I have owned thus far...He is with me 24/7 literally...hes at work with me everyday and as a family hes always in the truck wherever we go...

I was mainly asking to get a view of what everyone else is doing or does...as I mentioned I am using the methods from Hillmann, Graham and recently aquired the Lardy training videos not to mention train with a retriever trainer on weekends....it was more just a "hey how do you do this?" kinda thing....

Thanx to all for your replies and hope to hear more...

camo

·
Registered
449 Posts
In my opinion it seems you are doing things correctly. I always evaluate my pup and have no set ime to CC. That bieng said I do like to be through CC before FF. This is what I do and have had no issues in doing so. Good training and have fun with your pup.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
In my opinion it seems you are doing things correctly. I always evaluate my pup and have no set ime to CC. That bieng said I do like to be through CC before FF. This is what I do and have had no issues in doing so. Good training and have fun with your pup.

Thanx ltrollin.......I feel that we (Diezel and myself) are having a lot of fun and learning together.....our training sessions arent very long and when he looks tired or uninterested we go for a walk or do something else....no point or reason to get mad at a puppy...I believe we will be doing the CC first aswell...see how things play out and take it from there...I am not training a FT or HT dog I am training a meat and potatoes dog....hes gonna know all the other stuff but were not gonna get into field trials....well its not planned see what happens I suppose

camo

·
Registered
26 Posts
Just skimmed back through it.
Here's my notes;

Day 12 *18 days later* Pup is now 15 ½ weeks old
– Intro to Dead Duck
First E-Collar –nick- (On lowest possible level)to reinforce ‘Sit’
{Bill only -nicks- him once the entire training day}

PM Sent

1 - 13 of 13 Posts