RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm currently using Diamond Nat. Chic/Rice for my kennel dogs ( boarding/training,etc.) Have been happy for years- I dont want opinions on Diamond please. ( in CA- so not affected by recall issues)
Recently have had to clean more inconsistant stools than I'd like, so am considering changing. Comparable price and quality, I'm looking at either ProPac Adult Chunk, (chic/rice)
or Eagle Pac Original Pork and Chicken meal.
Does anyone feed either of these? I notice ground corn in them. Always leaned away from that- but from ACTUAL EXPERIENCE with corn as an ingredient- have you seen direct problems from it?

·
Registered
409 Posts
I wonder if your stool changes with some dogs could be feeding to much, that can cause soft to runny stools. I personally don't care for corn based food either so wouldn't pick either Pro Pack or Eagle Pack. I would use the Holistic Select family of foods by Eagle.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
I've fed ProPac (mostly 26/16, but also puppy and some 30/20) for about 20 years with good results. (I didn't know you could buy it in California. It's made near here and seems fresh in the local independent farm store.)

I've occasionally fed Purina Pro Plan for extended periods and a few others shorter term. No better results than ProPac (and sometimes worse.)

Before that I fed Eagle, but it's hard to get here now.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
I currently use Holistic Select (used to be made by Eagle). Before that I used the Eagle Pack that you mentioned. Had no problems with it, coats great, weight maintained, poops good. Ended up switching because one of the dogs had gunky ears and that was the last thing I tried to change. Thought it might be the corn. Her ears did get better with the switch. Just stayed with the Holistic Select for KISS reasons. Eagle used to always have a K9 Nutritionist on staff you could call and talk to. Since they were bought out, I don't know if that is the case now. They also have a breeder program.

New pup was on Pro-Plan Performance for a year (with corn) and had no issues and looked great. Switched her to Holistic because it is easier to have all the dogs on one food.

Sue Puff

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
We fed Eagle Pack in the past and really liked it. The only reason we don't feed it now is I cannot buy it locally.

Our dogs had firm stools, great coats and lots of energy on Eagle Pack.

Tom

1 - 5 of 5 Posts