RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pup started getting ear infections from swimming around 5 months old. At 7 months, still the same and have to Oticlean everyday, after being in water, and medicate as needed. Is this a look into the future or something that will fix itself with age.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Might better have her checked for allergies......these usually DO NOT get better with age...in my experience they usually get worse...........

·
Registered
2,745 Posts

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Might better have her checked for allergies......these usually DO NOT get better with age...in my experience they usually get worse...........
Not allergies but thanks.

·
Registered
76 Posts
PURPLE STUFF ear cleaner :

PURPLE STUFF

16 Oz. Witch Hazel

4 Tablespoons Boric Acid Powder

16 Drops Gentian Violet Solution 1%

Mix together in Witch Hazel bottle or some kind of spray bottel and shake well.

Spray 1-2 time in each ear, massage in at the base of the ear.

Once a day for a few days.

This gets rid of the recurring ear yeast infection. Be careful, it stains everything. Apply outdoors.

G

·
I tried to pm you but it says your box is full, We used it every time the dogs went swimming, sometimes that was everyday. I started using it because our first dog Cody went to Prado swam in some nasty water by the time we arrived home she had a terrible ear infection it ended up costing her some of her hearing. It says you can use up to 3 times a day over an extended period of time.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Here's the recipe I use...it uses isopropyl alcohol instead of witch hazel...

http://http://www.jlsdals.com/PURPLESTUFF.pdf

Seems to work great and never seems to cause the dog discomfort other than wanting to shake liquid out of their ear.

I had to order the Gentian Violet from my pharmacy. It took a day or two to get it.

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
My approach: An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. After I am done with water work: a cotton ball in each ear to get some moisture out; some bumpers to get the dog running with ears flapping to get the air circulating; an antiseptic drying powder in the ear; weekly cleaning followed by 1:1 vinegar/water mixture in each ear. So far my success has been 100 % in preventing and clearing up infections.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts