RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a dog 14 months old that when goes swimming her one ear bothers her. During the swim-by she developed a ear infection. What I'm wondering is there anything a person can put in the ear or give to the dog orally to prevent such problems???

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Ear problems

Get the pup vetted to make sure there is no underlying infection that might cause permanent damage or a perforation of the eardrum.

My goldens get a regular wash with a 50/50 mix of vinegar and rubbing alchohol. The vinegar kills any yeast, the alchohol kills any bacteria and helps dry out the ear. Squirt it in and stand back. Pup will shake like crazy which helpds dislodge any gunk. You can buy premix ear wash solutions or any douche product but they won't be any more effective.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Ears

The problem is with dog with heavy ears water gets trapped and cannot come out setting up a perfect enviornemt for yeast. If the yeast are allowed to continue to grow unchecked they can then lead to a secondary bacterial infection

All of this usually on ly involves the external ear. However if not treated properly then it can extend to the middle and inner ears making it harder to treat effectively. If your dog has an active ear infection at this time I would take her to the vet to make sure it is just a yeast infection. Ther prescription medication will help clean it up a little faster than the over the counter remidies. If that is not the case and you are just looking to prevent it. What I do with my dog and recommend to my clients is to get mouthwash (other than listerine) and used it as a swimmers ear soultion. The alcohol in it help evaporate the water and prevent yeast colonization.

The solution mentioned before about 50/50 white vinegar and rubbing alcohol will work.. However, I am not a big fan of putting that high of a concentration of alcohol in the ear canal because if it is inflammed it will burn and it is not good on the health of the ear drum. This is also why I tell people to steer away from listerine.

If she has a lo grade yeast infection the just treat it with some white vinegar 2-3X per day.

Hope that helps

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
I would be careful with the alcohol. It can actually dry the ear out so bad the tissue in the ear canal can become red and inflamed, especially if it's used very often. We have one lab who is prone to ear infections. We tried several different things through our vet, until we hit on the one that seemed to work best. We now use a product called T8 Keto. It is both an anti-bacterial and anti-fungal ear wash.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
OtiCalm ... I get it from the vet.
I'm sure some of the home remedies may also work, but I know this stuff does and it is non-alcohol based.
I have 3 goldens with hairy ears and I squirt in a shot as a preventive after being in the water. (also helps to keep the hair trimmed out of their ears if that's a problem.)
JS

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did take her to the vet and had it treated. I want to get back into the water, but know it will happen again. I'm just looking for a preventative. Thanks for all you help. I enjoy the info!!!

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
My vet gave me Otorinse to use after each time in the water, but honestly I haven't been that happy with it. An audiologist friend of mine told me to try the half vinegar half water thing. So I am going to try it.

tt

G

·
muddyriver said:
I did take her to the vet and had it treated. I want to get back into the water, but know it will happen again. I'm just looking for a preventative. Thanks for all you help. I enjoy the info!!!
there's nothing that you can put in there to prevent it... With many dogs, it simply becomes a "maintenance" issue where you have to treat their ears "x" times a day with your choice of application.

The purple stuff mentioned above is SUPER and I swear by it for simple cases.

My husband mixes up a concoction that he got from vet school that contains antibiotics and other good stuff that is great to treat a dog that has a chronic infection. It ends up costing about $30-$40 a bottle, but it's worth it to wipe out a chronic infection. I have the recipe here somewhere.

I'd try the purple stuff. Follow the directions for application. I had a poodle in training that we used it on (her mom gave us the recipe) and I've used it on other dogs. The poodle, however, could never get ahead because of ear hair (which was remedied, but still caused a problem periodically) and the med mix knocked it out.

-K

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
I have known of 2 dogs that had ear problems. Owners switched to a non-corn dog food and ear problems went away. They both feel the corn was the problem.

After you check with a vet to clear up this issue, you might want to try a different dog food.

My vet does not advise "regular" ear cleaning. Says "leave them alone unless you see the dog is having problems then come in to determine the nature of the problem." I have followed his advice and have had no problems and no office visits.

G

·
ear

I use Oti Clens have been for over twenty years my dogs swim daily and they have had no problems. I buy it at kv vet .

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
I have used Oti Clens. Works well. I don't clean deep but I wipe the external debris away with a cotton ball.

I have also used a solution:
Equal parts of water, vinegar and rubbing alcohol. That seems to cure my golden's head shaking and ear irritation.

Hope this helps!
Carrie

·
Registered
74 Posts
[ would be careful with the alcohol. It can actually dry the ear out so bad the tissue in the ear canal can become red and inflamed, especially if it's used very often.]

I used to have a lab who, if I didn't clean her ears immediately after swimming, would develop a very bad yeast and bacterial infection. (no, she did not have corn in her diet) I used a similar solution as others suggested but I used which hazel instead of alcohol, plus I added aloe vera, so the solution I used was 2 parts white vinegar, 1 part which hazel, and one part aloe vera. Without the aloe vera the ears got too dry. After using this solution she never again had an year infection. With her, I had to use it every day as she swam every day. I still use the solution with my other dogs but not every day. Also I don't just squirt it in the year, I use a large cotton facial cleansing pads (like to remove make up) get the pad nice and wet and then clean ear with it. Works great.[/quote]

·
Registered
7,767 Posts
The purple stuff works great for many dogs but I had a dog that ended up with a hematoma (and surgery) from regular ear cleanser who totally couldn't tolerate any alcohol. I concocted a sensitive ear purple stuff for him that is more pH balanced that works real well that you can use after they swim. The Zymox Otic is excellent (love the references Kenmc), a natural enzymatic alternative to antibiotics. I would try either for a preventative.

·
Registered
423 Posts
ears

more on the purple stuff. My first golden would get a yeast infection just by looking at water. My present fluff always has ears that are clean as can be but once the vet did an ear swab and he said she had a mild infection so we treated it. I always liked the idea of a "preventive measure" so I gathered up the makings.

2 oz. of violet 3.61 looks like enough for about 50 batches
4 oz of boric acid 11.52 enough for about 8 batches
16 oz. rubbing alcohol 1.39 good for 1 batch
16.52 total to get started

Not only can gentian violet stain, it WILL !! It also has the propensity to stick to whatever it comes in contact with. Use paper or plastic cups to do any measuring. Newspapers on the counter top are recommended. I didn't have a good eye dropper, so I had to get a little creative getting 20 drops of that stuff measured out.
You know dang well that your dog is going to shake its head after application, so make sure you do it outside well away from vehicles or house siding. Unless of course, they're purple to begin with. Expect the inside of the ear flap to have a purple cast to it. Now we'll see what the effects are.

·
Registered
53 Posts
ear problems

I found a natural product from Retrieve Health...it contains no alcohol so it can be used more than once a week. It contains Tea Tree Oil...in the past my boy Hogan has had a lot of problems with yeast infections in his ears...this stuff has really helped. A bottle on their website goes for $8 bucks or so.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts