RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Easiest way to get QAA...

• JAM an Amateur

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5,248 Posts
I've qualified quite a few dogs by virtue of a Q 1st or 2nd that would have been very unlikely to have finished an all-age stake at that point.

Evan

·
Registered
300 Posts
Oh crap,

I voted wrong. Was thinking hardest. Take 1 away from the Am.

From my limited experience Jam in the Am is harder.

It took 2 trials to get the 2nd in Q.
It took 7 trials to JAM the Am.

Anthony

·
Registered
9,442 Posts
Refresh my memory, what's qualifies as QAA?

·
Registered
16,986 Posts
dogs

Heck, there are dogs between the ages of 18 months to 24 months taking 1st and 2nd in Q all the time! One would have to scour through years of RFTN to find a 18-24 month old that finished an Amateur. It only happens every once in a blue moon.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Hmmmm......

My girl is ready for the Q but not ready for the Am........

Which way will it be easier for her to QAA? :wink:

·
Registered
9,608 Posts
FOM said:
Refresh my memory, what's qualifies as QAA?
actually the term "qualified all-age" is a misnomer :?

a dog is qualified to run a restrictive stake (Limited All-Age) by receiving a JAM (Judge's Award of Merit) in the open all-age, amateur all-age, owner handler amateur all-age, or by receiving a 1st or 2nd in the qualifying :D

I agree with others that a JAM in an all-age stake is more difficult to obtain

my very first titled dog (AFC I'd Rather Be Lucky) got a JAM in the Qualifying, Open, and Amateur, all at the same field trial, (a very rare Irish triple header) :wink:

·
Registered
5,143 Posts
lucky you didn't get brought up on incest charges for that one ,ed! :shock: :lol:

definite
ly easier to get a 1st or 2nd in the Q.-paul

·
Registered
55 Posts
I guess I was just born to do things the hard way. I run goldens in trials.

I ran three quals with Chili. Jamed the first, got a third placement in the third. A few weeks later we got a RJ in his second amateur and have two more jams in amateur stakes. I’m sick of green.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think i'm with Richard on this one.

Not to compare the Chili monster to the macho choco dawg... but i have a better chance of doing a decent job on tougher stuff, than doing a great job on the easier stuff.

It takes a special dog to go a GREAT job for 4 straight series, at any level. It takes a well trained dog not to do anything stupid, at any level.

Shayne

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Shayne, stick with Qual if you want the Macho dog QAA. That will save you time, money, and heartache. My opinion is that if you can't get lucky on that one weekend in the Qual, you dang sure won't be able to do it in the Am.

Jerry

·
Banned
3,787 Posts
LVL'03

"It Depends"

I think you have to see what kind of qual.....I've seen some damn tough ones.

WRL

·
Registered
813 Posts
I didn't vote since I'm not a FT person but it would seem to me that the easiest way to get a QAA on a dog would be to buy the dog already qualified.

At least that would be the easiest way for me to get it.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Definitely placing in a Q, but sometimes that is not going to happen with the dogs we train with.

By the time our dogs are exiting the derby - they are doing AA setups and blinds. Run them in a few Qs, but when we feel their training indicates that they are ready to run AA, that is what we do.

Dean Vyrol's dog was a good example - All though Chief was doing AA work in training - he would over think the Q setups and was a "green" ribbion monster. After about 4 Qs, he was in the last series of a big Am in good shape, but handled on one bird. Quit running Qs and he RJed an Am a couple of starts later. Placed 3rd in an Open right after that.

Bottomline - we let our feel for the dog dictate where it will run. Sometimes that feel is that the dog will sit the trial out.

·
Registered
6,382 Posts
I personally believe that the Q route would be easier.

First, as a GENERAL rule, the tests are easier.
Second, as a GENERAL rule, the competition is not as good.

·
Registered
9,608 Posts
Ted Shih said:
I personally believe that the Q route would be easier.

First, as a GENERAL rule, the tests are easier.
Second, as a GENERAL rule, the competition is not as good.
and the entry is generally smaller......often significantly smaller

·
Registered
9,608 Posts
mossy said:
How, and when do you find a Q being run? What is the general setup? marks, blinds,ect?
I believe there's a triple derby/qualifying in New Orleans the end of January.

Acadiana Ret. club is also in January.....they will have an Open, Amateur, qualifying, and derby

Every licensed retriever trial has a qualifying, and several clubs also hold an additional derby/qualifying

typically the qualifying will have a double or triple on land, sometimes with one retired gun, a land blind, a water blind, and a water triple

1 - 20 of 22 Posts