RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now I think im a pretty good judge of dogs when it comes to them understanding what Im trying to teach them. But I am force fetching a 7 month old female lab who had me all confused. We have been at it for about 6 or 7 days and she has never missed a beat. It was like she understood it the first day and has never let up. She will go up and get it, she will go down and get it, she will even get it off the ground. Today we moved on to collar and ear pinch and she never missed a beat. She will do it on the table, she will do it on the ground, she dont care. She has only bugged once and after that its like she understood she had to do it or else. At the pace we are on we will be at walking fetch next week! How do I know if she really understands the concept or if she just loves it enough that she is doing it out of want too.

I have FF several dogs but never one this easy!

I will try and post a video tomorrow!

Thoughts?

·
Registered
7,271 Posts
I had a similar scenario with Hank (by Pirate). Howard N. predicted that about day 10 or so Hank would stop seeing this as fun and being work and start balking. As predicted he did, but a couple days before Howard's prediction. It was on walking ff at about day 8 or so of the total ff process that I started seeing refusals. I forced my way through it and in a couple days was back on track.
Good luck! We are blessed when we get a dog like these.
See Howard's comments on the last reply.

http://www.retrievertraining.net/fo...)-3rd-day-ff/page2&highlight=Hank+(by+Pirate)

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
I'm FFing an 11 month old that went from ear pinch to walking fetch in 4 sessions (we had done extensive hold ala Hillman before starting ear pinch). And this dog doesn't really like fetching bumpers, so that aint it. I mean she is flawless.

So on the 5th session, I reviewed walking fetch and introduced stick fetch. Well the stick pressure is causing refusals just as Lardy described. I handle refusals with the ear pinch. I'll do the next session in the morning, so we'll work through it and get her fetching through the stick pressure before moving on.

To answer your question, you'll know when you go to the next step if you went too soon. I do recall Lardy saying not to pitch the bumper down in front of the dog when forcing to the ground. This makes it a retrieve and you want her to fetch because of the force and not the desire to retrieve.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well guess what showed up today! yep. got a little buggin today. So we are stayin put for a few days!

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
well guess what showed up today! yep. got a little buggin today. So we are stayin put for a few days!
Don't know how you feel about it, but I'm good with seeing some issues pop up. When you get through this, you'll know she has it down and it isn't just the desire but the force driving the pick up during FF.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Don't know how you feel about it, but I'm good with seeing some issues pop up. When you get through this, you'll know she has it down and it isn't just the desire but the force driving the pick up during FF.
No, I feel the same way. Now I have a base point to work from. When it was so easy I didnt know if she was getting it or not. Now we know. I will keep you updated!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts