RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently my BIL has moved into my home and with him has come a 180lb Mastiff that is not very eager to eat... During meal time (morning and night) it is a constant struggle between him and my dogs over food. I am looking for suggestions to make him alittle more interested in eating when the food is presented.

Things we have tried so far:
removing food after several minutes of not eating
changing the food (thinking maybe he didnt like it)...4 diff brands same results
separating all dogs from him (thinking he was more interested in protecting than eating)

Any additional ideas?

thanks

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Did he have this issue before he moved into your home? If not give him time to adjust to the new home and dogs.
Offer the food everyday, when your dogs are done eating pick his food up and give it to him again at the next feeding. Try for a few days. Is he in good health?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
he is in good health however previous feeding habits allowed food to sit there available all day (prior to my home)... they have been in my house for a few months now and I have been removing the food after giving ample time to eat it

·
Registered
915 Posts
Yep, new home, new surroundings, competition and such can throw a dog off their feed. Dogs like routines and when their routine is not there they have to adjust. Takes a while sometimes. He'll eat when he gets hungry and probably won't let himself starve.

BHB

1 - 4 of 4 Posts