RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at buying a Tri-Tronics ecollar from an Ebay seller called service-and-sales. Has anyone on here purchased anything from this seller? Part of me thinks I should buy the ecollar from Bass Pro, even though it's a little bit more $, simply because I know their customer service for returning items is awesome. But, I can probably save around $30 by using this Ebay seller. Any thoughts?

David

·
Registered
7,411 Posts
For only saving $30 I would think you are foolish to buy from a seller on e-bay. Just go through TT or one of their sellers. That way if you ever have a problem it will not be a problem and you will be dealing with someone who is involved in the dog world and not some random seller on e-bay

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I always liked www.gundogsupply.com they have free shipping and handling and great customer service and also have their own reviews of the collars.
Kelly - thank you for your comment. I've looked at them already and had noticed that their price is the same as Bass Pro's. But since I get rewards for spending $ at Bass Pro, I'd go their instead.

David

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Why not just go to the sorce and buy it from TT? What model you thinking about buying?
I'm planning on buying the Sport Basic G3 model based upon a conversation I've had with one of their customer service reps. As for why would I go elsewhere... mainly price and rewards (from Bass Pro).

David

·
Registered
946 Posts
I prefer the sport combo over the sport basic gives you 20 levels instead of 10 levels to choose from. The one I had lasted about 2 years then sent in for repair then another 1 1/2 years before it died.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I prefer the sport combo over the sport basic gives you 20 levels instead of 10 levels to choose from. The one I had lasted about 2 years then sent in for repair then another 1 1/2 years before it died.
Or instead of buying a lower quality unit step up and buy a Pro Flyway model right off the bat and easily get 5 or more years out of it. I use my G2 Pro 200 almost every day training and haven't had any problems over the last 5 years. Still has excellent battery life on both the original collar and transmitter batteries. The pro models are also quite a bit more rugged and have better range.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Or instead of buying a lower quality unit step up and buy a Pro Flyway model right off the bat and easily get 5 or more years out of it. I use my G2 Pro 200 almost every day training and haven't had any problems over the last 5 years. Still has excellent battery life on both the original collar and transmitter batteries. The pro models are also quite a bit more rugged and have better range.
I hear what you're saying but I'm a bit confused on a few things. The Sport Basic model was recommended to me by a Tri-Tronics representative based upon my needs. I would tend to think that the Tri-Tronics reps are the experts of their own products and I would believe it should be followed especially since they are not telling me to buy their highest priced product. I've heard nothing but excellent reviews about their service I have to ask why should I doubt their suggestion? I don't want to buy a piece of junk but I also don't want to spend a ton of money on something that is overkill for my needs. Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
What he said!!! Once you start using the collar (Flyway) you will realize it is not overkill just more options and I think the pro models are built more durable and much easier to use without taking your eye off the dog, in my opinion! Worth the extra bucks in the long run!

Chris

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I hear what you're saying but I'm a bit confused on a few things. The Sport Basic model was recommended to me by a Tri-Tronics representative based upon my needs. I would tend to think that the Tri-Tronics reps are the experts of their own products and I would believe it should be followed especially since they are not telling me to buy their highest priced product. I've heard nothing but excellent reviews about their service I have to ask why should I doubt their suggestion? I don't want to buy a piece of junk but I also don't want to spend a ton of money on something that is overkill for my needs. Thoughts?
Every Sport model I've seen on a shelf somewhere, whether it be at a sporting good shop or at an outdoor type expo, the toggle for switching between momentary and continuous are always broken off. That's just from people switching it back and forth. Do the switching back and forth during training for a couple years plus add into it getting beat up by throwing it into your blind or hunting bag or drawer or where ever and it'll break too. My recommendation is to buy the best that you can and it'll last you the length of time you have that dog.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Get the Pro model and you will not regret it. My G2 Pro 100 is old and still ticking. I have replaced the batteries, but nothing else.

I got it secondhand, in case you were wondering how a rookie would have an old Pro 100.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I bought a 500 xls from Collar Clinic 8 years ago and have never had a problem with it! It is larger than the new ones but I have big hands so it fits like a glove. I also have a 500xls for a back up, it's a two dog collar but it is always a problem red does not work but green always works. Would send it in for repair but hate to have only one collar. You might want to look at their used collars! Great prices and they give a good warranty with them!
W Price

·
Registered
22 Posts
buy the flyaway -- more expensive but from experience i have used the cheaper models and the Flyaway is definitely better....more user friendly... more durable... provides the ability to go from low to medium to high quickly if needed.... just more better all the way around. And yes I know more better is not correct.

Buy the flyaway and you will be set... not sure the 500 is worth the extra money unless you are a pro trainer even then not so sure.

·
Registered
59 Posts
IT was briefly mentioned, but consider a reconditioned unit from http://www.collarclinic.com/ if $30 is that big of an issue. I went with top of the line reconditioned Pro 500 G3 EXP. If memory serves, reconditioned knocked $120 off the original price. I've only got one dog and I relatively new to ecollars but I love mine. I figured that a quality collar that works like it is supposed to every time, every distance is sooo much better than a sketchy collar that you are constantly zapping yourself with to be sure it is functioning.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts