RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well,

Got the results a while ago for Peyton and she is EIC affected, which i already pretty much knew.:-(

I guess that means it is pretty much the end of the line for us.......NOT.

Just need to find a clear male to breed with - Done :D

And keep working on delivery to hand so we can get our JH title this fall along with what hopes to be a large number of pheasants and ducks...:)

This dog stuff is so much fun, I hope everyone else enjoys it as much as I do.

Mark

·
Registered
4,680 Posts
Stop fricking talking.
LOL, I know what you really wanted to say, and I agree. :D

Mark, if you know her trigger, and it sounds like she's had episodes since you weren't surprised she came back affected, then hopefully you can continue on working her around it and you can both enjoy as much as possible without putting her at risk. My son's affected Lab, her "trigger" is jogging with him, never has one while hunting or fun bumpers, just jogging (another good reason not to jog, IMO). Good luck and good for you for not giving up on her.

·
Registered
658 Posts
We have an affected male that is 8 y/o old now. His trigger is live birds whether they be in a crate where he can see them or shot flyer's. We were told that carrying a little more weight and age will reduce the frequency of episodes and he has not had one in years.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Carrier or affected? If affected a clear male will do you no good.
Here this will help to keep that foot out of your mouth.

Clear to clear - all pups clear
Clear to carrier - clear & carrier pups
Carrier to carrier - 25% affected, 50% carrier, 25% clear
Affected to clear - clear & carrier pups
Affected to affected - all affected pups

·
Registered
4,680 Posts

This is not accurate either. Affected to clear, all pups will be carriers. You cannot get a clear puppy with an affected parent, you can't get an affected puppy with one clear parent, regardless of the other parent's status.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
I stand corrected,my bad. Was thinking carrier in my head when I read and typed clear. I just recieved results that my male was a carrier and had carrier on the brain.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts

Corrections noted in bold:
Clear to carrier - 50% clear & 50% carrier pups
Affected to clear - All carrier pups
Affected to carrier - 50% carrier & 50% affected

·
Registered
345 Posts
Keep in mind when the percentages are involved each puppy has that probability. So in a litter of 9 pups clear to carrier, you could have anywhere from 0 to 9 clear pups and 0 to 9 carrier pups all depends on how the genes fall. Obviously probabilty would say about half should be clear and half should be carrier but its each puppies probability not the probability of a litter.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Fortunately EIC affected is not the end of the world.I have a 10 year old BLF that is affected.Her trigger is complex marks/blinds and any type of holding blind.Hunting has never been a problem even having to do a 200 yd blind.I would caution on breeding unless you really bring a lot to the table.Many people would not want a pup from an affected dog even though we know carrier is no problem.I had my dog spayed even though on top she's out of Shooter x Sparky and the bottom Code Blue x Pricey.2 HOF grandsires and grand dams have either produced a national winner or been a finalist.I hope she continues to do what you want her to do.

Jeff

·
Banned
5,856 Posts
I had a bitch that was affected and non symptomatic that was beautiful. A show field cross. She was worth breeding absolutely. Several of her puppies are MH's and one soon will be a breed champion.

Don't ever throw the baby out with the bathwater. In another 10 years EIC will be a blip on the radar. Our breeding programs will eventually move it to the back burner like CNM and PRA.

Angie

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have an affected dog also. His trigger is when I'm out mowing. I know put him in a crate and have no problems when hunting or training. I was ready to give up on him when I found out, but got a lot of encouragement from folks on this board. I took him hunting and continued his training, and he has done great with no collapses.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Ok, I know that my 12yr old female has EIC but I haven't been able to identify the spacific trigger yet. She has only had one episode and I really don't know what to do if she has another. I treated the last one like overheating as I didn't know she was affected at that time.

·
Registered
95 Posts
So not to thread jack here what are peoples feelings on a CNM carrier bitch? I currently own one and she is by far one of the best dogs I have seen at her age (8 months). I was very down when the results came back but soon got over it when I experienced just how talented she really is.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have an affected two year old male. His trigger is heat/complex setups. Still going to train and hunt, but he runs first in the morning and is done for the remainder of the day.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I now know that Peyton's big trigger is running hard for too long. The bad thing is she has two speeds when we are working... Hard and Fast. When we are working on lining drills or T work, I only put out about 5 or 6 bumpers and then take a 10-15 minute break. If I don't she is likely to have an episode. Last year we hunted pheasants about 8-10 times, and she was able to go all morning because she worked easily through the fields and only ran hard for the retrieves. :D

PMG 131, if you have only seen one episode in 12 years, you have been blessed in my book. I have already seen 3-4 in less than 3 years. (Now I know the trigger)

Five Star, I don't know enough about CNM, but I would guess that being a carrier is like an EIC carrier. No indicators in your dog, but a chance to pass the gene on to any offspring. I'm sure someone who knows better will chime in.

Mark

1 - 20 of 24 Posts