RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Administrator
3,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at the chart on http://www.vdl.umn.edu/prod/groups/cvm/@pub/@cvm/@vdl/documents/asset/cvm_asset_107687.pdf and now have myself totally confused.

Can a litter contained both clear and affected pups?

Someone asked me this question and I thought I knew the answer until I started looking at that colored chart.

Clear to clear - all pups clear
Clear to carrier - clear & carrier pups
Carrier to carrier - carrier and possible affected pups
Affected to clear - clear & carrier pups
Affected to affected - all affected pups

If the above is true, then the answer would be that a litter cannot contained both clear and affected pups.

(Reminder to myself...don't try to think straight when you are stressed, extremely busy and too much on your mind about other things!)

·
Registered
7,781 Posts
I was looking at the chart on http://www.vdl.umn.edu/prod/groups/cvm/@pub/@cvm/@vdl/documents/asset/cvm_asset_107687.pdf and now have myself totally confused.

Can a litter contained both clear and affected pups?

Someone asked me this question and I thought I knew the answer until I started looking at that colored chart.

Clear to clear - all pups clear
Clear to carrier - clear & carrier pups
Carrier to carrier - carrier and possible affected pups
Affected to clear - clear & carrier pups
Affected to affected - all affected pups

If the above is true, then the answer would be that a litter cannot contained both clear and affected pups.

(Reminder to myself...don't try to think straight when you are stressed, extremely busy and too much on your mind about other things!)
Carrier to carrier-25% affected, 50% carrier, 25% clear. Make the little squares and you will see when in doubt

·
Registered
9,442 Posts
Carrier to Carrier can produce clear, affected and carrier puppies.

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
Carrier to carrier can produce clear, carrier or affecteds.

The pup could get the "normal" allele carried by each parent and be "clear", it could get the "affected" allele carried by each parent and be "affected," or it could get an "affected" allele from one parent and a "normal" from the other and be a "carrier".

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
This is answered already- but yep... I have a clear bitch, who had two affected littermates. Also, have an affected bitch, who had clear littermates. Ironically, both these bitches shared the same sire but different dam.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Vickie,
The other thing that is wrong with that chart, is that affected bred to clear will produce all carriers, no clears.
Colleen

1 - 6 of 6 Posts