RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at a couple pups from a litter that has good blood lines. Both of the pups that are available are EIC carriers. Should I be concerned with this.

I should mention this will be a primary hunting dog that I am wanting to achieve her MH title and possibly breed down the road. Pro's/ Con's the pups have all the other stuff that I am looking for.

Thanks

·
Registered
234 Posts
There is actually nothing wrong with a carrier, as far as health. From a breeding standpoint, you will need to breed to a clear.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
There is no health concern with carriers...none. When/if you consider breeding you will need to use a clear partner.

·
Registered
129 Posts
There is actually nothing wrong with a carrier, as far as health. From a breeding standpoint, you will need to breed to a clear.
does carrier + clear = clear or does it = 50% clear/50% carrier?

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
does carrier + clear = clear or does it = 50% clear/50% carrier?
Pheno-typically carrier + clear = Clear (the important clear, no disease)

Geno-typically carrier + clear = theory 50% clear-50% carrier

I wouldn't be concerned with the carrier, a whole lot more important aspects to be concerned about, can she mark, can she handle, what's her temperament, what are her line manners, etc. etc. EIC testing is just a tool for breeders to use in order to ensure non-affected offspring. It's an easy gene to breed around and as time continues there will be more and more clear studs. So if you got a litter you particularly like, go for it.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Carrier is not a problem to own. Carrier just limits your breeding choices to roughly 60% of available labs out there and 0-100% of the pups will be limited to 60% of the future breeding choices and you may have a slightly harder time selling carrier pups than clears because some people will not buy a carrier pup, but people that would buy a carrier would buy a clear also.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts