RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lou was a face recognized by most AKC and HRC hunt testers in Texas and surrounding areas. She and husband James were heavy contributors to the success of the Colorado River and Tejas retriever clubs. While both Lou and James judged, Lou carried the heaviest load while James was busy running dogs.

Lou lost a battle to cancer yesterday. Please keep James in your thoughts and prayers as he deals with his loss.

·
Registered
66 Posts
The hunt test world lost a great one! Lou was a mentor to me. She helped me become a better handler and judge. There was never a time I ever run into her that she didn't come over and ask me how I was doing. There was never a time I couldn't ask her for advice. I will miss her!
RIP Lou! You will always be special and one of a kind!

Our prayers go out to James, the family and all who knew and loved her.
Karen & Alex Goff

·
Registered
883 Posts
Lou was one of the nicest HRC judges. I apprenticed under her supervision many more years than I like to admit to in the Seasoned catagory. She showed a lot more patience with me than I deserved. HRC will miss a fantastic lady. Bill

·
Registered
412 Posts
My thoughts and prayers are with James and his family. Lou will be greatly missed. I received my first hunt test pass from Lou. She was absolutely wonderful and gave me confidence to stay in this game. She and James opened their grounds to me
and all my puppies last year when you could not find clean water. Their generosity to people and dogs is overwhelming.
James as asked in lieu of flowers donations be made to the AKC Canine Health Foundation. We've lost a special lady, but she
will never be forgotten by those who knew her.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I shared many laughs with Lou. She will be missed

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
The news of Ms. Lou's passing just breaks my heart.
I can't even begin to express what Ms Lou has meant to me. She had a very early impact on me as both trainer and handler. The first judge I ever ran under (I was so pathetic, she invited me out for some much needed mentoring at their beautiful place in Monaville). The test was back in '93 on a grounds in Rock Island, TX. It was a Senior test and Ms. Lou and Donnie Williams were the judges. At that time I had never even seen a HT much less run in one. Thank the Lord for Ms. Lou and my boy Char. If it weren't for those two, I may have passed smooth out. The funny thing, I knew so little about the rules, I actually asked Lou to stop the test for a moment so I could gather myself. My heart was beating so fast I couldn't think or breath. Ms. Lou said, "awe honey, it's gonna be ok, we'll slow down a bit. You just let us know when you're ready". I told her thanks, then grabbed her hand and asked her to "feel my heart". She did, and she and Donny fell out laughing. She's been my friend ever since.
Believe me, Lou has never let me forget that first test of my HT career. I always loved running Lou's tests. They were straight forward, challenging, and fair. Very fair. But best of all, Lou always seemed to make them FUN!!!

In the early years Lou and James both served as valuable mentors to me. For that, I will always be grateful. Lou was my first judge, she judged my first Master pass, I attended a few of their handling classes, used their facilities, and even bought my first well bred pup Dancy out of their fabulous Windy.
Lou always had a special way of greeting people with a kind smile and that sweet "hi baby" in her very recognizable Texas twang.

The dog world has truly lost one of its great personalities!!! She will be missed. James, you are very much in our prayers. Rest easy sweet Lou.

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
Lou's legacy in our world is enjoyed by many. She and James were founding members of both Tejas HRC and Colorado River Retriever Club. We will sadly miss her bright smile greeting us at the line.

For those who wish to attend the services for Emma Lou Davis, a Visitation will be held Monday, July 2, from 5 - 8 p.m. at Schmidt Funeral Home, 1508 East Avenue, Katy, Texas. Funeral Services will be held at 10 a.m., Tuesday, July 3 at The First Baptist Church, 600 Pin Oak, also in Katy.

Following the services, friends and family are invited to a Celebration of Lou's Life at the Davis Home, 13010 FM 1887, Hempstead, TX 77445. We will be sharing food, fellowship, and fond memories with others who knew and loved her. Please come and bring a chair.

In lieu of flowers, James asks that those who wish to honor Lou may make a donation to the AKC Canine Health Foundation. Donations may be made on line or mailed to AKC Canine Health Foundation, P.O. Box 900061, Raleigh, NC 57617.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
The HT world has lost a wonderful person. I feel as if a member of my family has passed. She was always a a cheerful and helping soul who wished the best for every dog that came to the line in front of her. James is a wonderful man and I wish him the best in his time of healing.

·
Registered
402 Posts
So sorry to hear. Lou was a wonderful person who always rooted for the dogs (and handlers) when judging. She will be greatly missed.

·
Banned
5,856 Posts
Lou never met a stranger... I always loved her sharp wit and infectious laugh. She and James mentored many in Texas. She will be missed very much. I was always teasing her about how one day some of her gorgeous turquoise could be missing if she wasn't careful. I loved her bold jewelry and told her often, "I love that piece your wearing Lou but I'd love it even better on me!" That usually got me a pinch on the arm... :cool:

There aren't enough like her in our sport I'm afraid....

Angie

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
I've run Master stakes under Lou and James for many many years. She will be missed. Thoughts and prayers to James, her family, and friends.

·
Registered
695 Posts
A friend Carol wrote about Lou, "you cannot mention Lou without James, or James without Lou." That team has had such a tremendous impact on so many retriever folks lives over the past 2+ decades. They shared their knowledge, love and passion for this sport freely to ANYONE!

Miss Lou judged me for my very first title on my very first dog. They started Colorado River Retriever Club in 1986 and kept it going with a small group of folks.

They use to have handlers seminars every weekend during the summer. This particular summer (1994) they were having a beginners class on Saturday and an advanced class on Sunday. The advanced class was for dogs that were ready to run Master and Finished. I had Cinn, who had his HR but didn't have a Senior pass so I signed up for the beginners class. At the Tejas AKC test at the end of April I ran Cinn in Senior and Lou was one of the judges. Well Cinn broke on the honor in the afternoon and didn't pass. After the test was over, Miss Lou grabbed my arm and told me to come with her and anyone who knew Miss Lou knows you did what she said. She walked me over to where James was and told him, "She does not need to be in the beginners class. She will get nothing out of it. You need to have her in the advance class and work with the setups early until her dog can do what the big dogs are doing." Needless to say, every water blind early on were set up to where I could break them down. By the end of the summer Cinn was running with the MH dogs. He got his HRCH that fall along with his SH. I am forever grateful.

Her laugh was unmistakable. I will remember her smile and laugh always. Thank you Miss Lou for always being YOU!!!!!

Janet

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
May the peace of our Lord be with James and all who will miss Lou.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I just can't imagine going to a hunt test and not seeing her there with James. The two were a wonderful pair. I looked forward to judging with her or running in her flight. the hunt test world lost an unreplaceable part. James you are in my prayers.

·
Registered
446 Posts
My prayers and thoughts are with James and his family. Lou was a wonderful person and a great lady to work with. She judged for our club numerous times during the time I was hunt test secretary for our club. She was a joy to work with and fun to talk to.... she will be truly missed!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Wow, I can't believe Lou's gone. I met her when running my first dog in 1989. She was one of the Junior judges & was so helpful & sweet. Later Lou and I had judging assignements together in all 3 levels. She will be sorely missed.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts