RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any thoughts about what to give an older dog that maybe competing over 5 days. I noticed Meg was running out of gas about the third day of the Grand last Fall. I don't think the work was getting to her but it was hard to watch her just run out of gas on a big water test.

We are not supposed to feed older dogs the high protein food so is there anything I can give her / feed her during these events that might help her keep her go? I used to feed Pro Plan Performance all the time and she did very well on it but I am afraid to put her on it now at her age.

She will be 9 in October.

Thanks for any ideas.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Can you put her back on the high calorie dog food for as long as you need her to have more energy, then switch back?

We have been fortunate. We've never had any of our older dogs require a lower protein dog food. We just continue to feed all the same food (Purina Pro Plan) and they do fine. I do have bloodwork done annually on the older dogs hoping that if something occurs we will catch it sooner.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Might seem odd. But I had to feed my 9 yr old snicker bite size bars during our annual 7 day hunt in ND.
For some reason he'd be running out of gas. Give home a couple of those and he was good to go for another round.

·
Registered
318 Posts
When upland hunting give snack of bread with a lot of fat - butter - bacon, etc. Seems to help revive them and is not too bulky.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
In addition to getting her more calories in the weeks leading to the event, I'd also give Elements R after each run to help her recover and regain energy before the next series.

http://www.elements4dogs.com/Elements_R.html

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Thanks for that link Jeff. I didn't know there was something like that available.

I have had good luck with these: http://www.zukes.com/woof/power-bones.html

I buy them from amazon. Always have them in the car with me. Easily digested.

Sue Puff

·
Registered
7,753 Posts
We are not supposed to feed older dogs the high protein food so is there anything I can give her / feed her during these events that might help her keep her go? I used to feed Pro Plan Performance all the time and she did very well on it but I am afraid to put her on it now at her age.
That is not the theory anymore. Older dogs need higher quality protein, maybe not performance, but definately not low protein. I get an annual chem panel done on all my dogs as they age. That would be the first step to make sure their kidney function is normal. Switch to a quality high digestible protein food. I think the Zuke's is a good idea. Also, are you giving any glucosamine?-maybe part of it is her body is sore by the 3rd day. Things to look at.

·
Registered
5,411 Posts
your dog needs CARBOHYDRATES of a type that can easily be converted to sugar. that's fuel. protein takes a lot of energy to convert into a form that can be used to fuel activity. some kind of high carb supplement should help her maintain her zip.

all my dogs have been fed purina high pro performance all their lives without developing liver problems.-Paul

·
Registered
4,577 Posts
I've used the K9 Go Dog sports drink for several years. I had a dog that refused to drink after performing. She'd be clearly in need of fluids but just refused them in the excitement. The sports drink not only hydrated her but caused her to change her attitude towards drinking at all.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the great input, emails and PM's sounds like I need to go back to what worked the last time we passed the grand ;-) I have always made homemade dog cookies with oatmeal, peanut butter and some other goodies and it seemed like it gave the dogs a boost while hunting.

I think by day three of the grand between the traveling and running she isn't getting the rest that she usually gets, I may have to rethink how we pass our time at the grand too.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Here is the info on the Zukes power bars. Complex carbs:

Power Bones®
Natural Treats for Active Dogs
Power Bones are like an energy bar for people, but for dogs
Designed for dogs who need a power boost during strenuous activity
The perfect dog treat for use during dog agility, canine flyball or while running, hiking or swimming with your dog
Simple and complex carbs for quick and sustained energy
Free of wheat, corn and soy
Made in the USA

Calories per piece (approx.): Beef 15, Chicken 18, Peanut Butter 22

Beef
Ingredients:
Beef, Ground Oats, Malted Barley, Ground Rice, Maple Syrup, Gelatin, Vegetable Glycerin, Fresh Apples, Fresh Beets, Fresh Carrots, Fresh Sweet Potatoes, Ground Flax Seed, Canola Oil, Phosphoric Acid (a natural acidifier), Salt, Garlic Powder, Brewers Yeast, Natural Flavors, Sorbic Acid (a preservative), Mixed Tocopherols.
Guaranteed Analysis – Beef
Protein not less than 10%
Fat not less than 7%
Fiber not more than 3%
Moisture not more than 30%
Calories Approximately 18 per piece

Chicken
Ingredients:
Chicken, Ground Oats, Malted Barley, Ground Rice, Maple Syrup, Gelatin, Vegetable Glycerin, Fresh Apples, Fresh Beets, Fresh Carrots, Fresh Sweet Potatoes, Ground Flax Seed, Canola Oil, Phosphoric Acid (a natural acidifier), Salt, Garlic Powder, Brewers Yeast, Natural Flavors, Sorbic Acid (a preservative), Mixed Tocopherols.
Guaranteed Analysis – Chicken
Fat not less than 7%
Fiber not more than 3%
Calories Approximately 18 per piece

Peanut Butter
Ingredients:
Peanut Butter, Ground Oats, Ground Rice, Malted Barley, Maple Syrup, Gelatin, Vegetable Glycerin, Ground Barley, Fresh Apples, Fresh Beets, Fresh Carrots, Sweet Potatoes, Ground Flax Seed, Canola Oil, Phosphoric Acid (a natural acidifier), Salt, Garlic Powder, Brewers Yeast, Natural Flavors, Sorbic Acid (a preservative), Mixed Tocopherols.
Guaranteed Analysis – Peanut Butter
Fat not less than 7%
Fiber not more than 3%
Calories Approximately 22 per piece

1 - 14 of 14 Posts