RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As many know, over the last few years, it's generally been difficult to enter a dog in Master. Usually, if you weren't on the computer at 7 PM Central, you'd end up on the waitlist. Things got a little tougher when the "Worker Code" system began, giving those who could volunteer to work the event a code number so they could enter a day early. I've never had a problem with that although I'm usually not able to take advantage of it because I usually have dogs in every stake. I also don't have people working for me who I can "volunteer" to work in order for me to get worker codes. At some point in the last few years, EE started a "Captcha" system in an effort, as I understand, to defeat people from using a robot to enter virtually instantaneously as soon as entries open to everyone. In the past, I generally haven't had a problem entering one or two dogs in Master. Occasionally, I'd end up with a low position on the wait list, but I'd always get in. Recently, the 25/35% amateur set aside (https://s3.amazonaws.com/cdn-origin...1/RHT-Reduction-of-Mileage.Amat-Set-Aside.pdf) has kicked in and for many, including me, entering has become impossible. The last 3 Wednesdays I've tried to enter 3 tests. I refresh the computer screen at precisely 7 PM Central to eliminate the worker code boxes so I can enter. Even though it's taken me less than one minute to enter every time, I ended up 12 on the waitlist in the first, 9 on the wait list in the second. In the second test, I've now dropped to #5, so I may get in before closing next Monday. Last night, I got to the third screen in less than 20 seconds. I saw that I was only going to be charged $10 and that I would be 22 on the waitlist. At that point, I just backed out of the system. There is no way that 22 dogs will be scratched before closing. It would have been just another waste of $10. In those same three test, some pros got multiple dogs entered. One was able to enter 14 in the first of those tests, 8 in the second and 15 in the third. If we're all using the same system, I fail to see how that's possible. In one of those tests. there were 26 dogs entered early with worker codes. That's fine, but a few entered 2 dogs with worker codes and 1 entered 3 - and those people don't have people to volunteer for them. If a worker code is for volunteering to work, I fail to see how anyone can work 3 jobs.

Requalifying a dog every year for Master National and earning a Master Hunter 75 or whatever is fine, but I believe that the primary purpose should be to Master title a dog. One fix would be to eliminate the requirement to requalify for Master National every year. HRCH dogs are not required to requalify every year for the International Grand. Regardless, we'll never see that happen. One reasonable fix, however, would be to set aside a percentage of the slots for dogs that have not yet titled. It seems to me that an untitled set aside is a reasonable solution -- and, of course, to make sure that we're all entering on the same playing field.

OK, rant over.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'd say the main reason I will not run Master after we title is the entries. I've been able to get into most of the ones I tried, but I have to be ready to go constantly refreshing at 7:59 EST and have the fastest fingers ever to get my entry in. Many times i've entered and been really close to the wait list. And i've been on the waitlist a couple times after entering in less than 1:30.

It blows my mind how I can barely get in one dog, but others can get 10-15 in.

I really enjoy playing the Master game, it's been fun and i've met some great people but i'll probably take a step back after we title.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
The answer to high demand is to increase the supply. In this case, my guess is, it will happen slowly if at all.
In the mean time there are field trial Q's every weekend with unlimited entry.

Reactions: Steve Shaver

·
Registered
111 Posts
The answer to high demand is to increase the supply. In this case, my guess is, it will happen slowly if at all.
In the mean time there are field trial Q's every weekend with unlimited entry.
Some of us have a breed that is not eligible for field trials unfortunately. The hunt test game is our only option.

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
HRC is becoming difficult as well. NAHRA - crazily enough - does not seem to be catching the 'overflow'. It should, but I would guess most people simply don't want to train for steady to flush/shot/fall and the trail.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Try giving up a weekend to judge and then repeatedly getting waitlisted. Then listen to the same handlers that get 10+ dogs into every test you were trying to enter rant and rave about the test you set up. It is enough to make you put your judges bag in the closet and let it rot!

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Try giving up a weekend to judge and then repeatedly getting waitlisted. Then listen to the same handlers that get 10+ dogs into every test you were trying to enter rant and rave about the test you set up.
And that comes after seminars, tests, apprenticing, judging JH&SH tests and running JH&SH tests just to prove you are worthy to set up a basic triple and a few short blinds for a MH test.
I am amazed that there are any HT judges.

Reactions: dlsweep

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
This evidently has not been an issue in tests in my area.

From Entry Express this morning (May 27th) there are still 16 openings in Master

Entries open: Wednesday, May 19, 2021 8:00:00 PM CT
Workers/Amateur Set Aside open: Tuesday, May 18, 2021 8:00:00 PM CT

Entries Close: Monday, May 31, 2021 11:59:59 PM CT

·
Registered
158 Posts
Getting in either Finished or Master is a crapshoot for sure. The one thing i dont get is why folks dont move on to the Qs after several master passes. You can always get in, yes they are harder, but at some point JR and SR were harder too. You definitely have to check your ego in FT competition because its not a ribbon giving arena, but also much more rewarding! I only have one ribbon displayed in my office and its a 3rd in a Q.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
The one thing i dont get is why folks dont move on to the Qs after several master passes.
We've got a pot stirrer here folks. :cool:

·
Registered
4,606 Posts
The only way to fix this is for EE to change the program so that once a entry is accepted, a timer kicks in and won't let the user enter another dog for say 30 seconds. That could be done but watch the screaming take place.

Reactions: Gregg0211

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
The only way to fix this is for EE to change the program so that once a entry is accepted, a timer kicks in and won't let the user enter another dog for say 30 seconds. That could be done but watch the screaming take place.
That is one option, and yes, there would be tears.

A better option would be if more people trained and handled there own dogs.
There is a reason that there aren't amateur stakes in hunt tests

·
Registered
4,606 Posts
DP - The timer approach is something that could be implemented immediately. Yours, while admirable, would take years.

Reactions: drunkenpoacher

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That is one option, and yes, there would be tears.

A better option would be if more people trained and handled there own dogs.
There is a reason that there aren't amateur stakes in hunt tests
True, but there is now a mandatory 25-35% set aside for amateurs which exacerbates the problem. I like the timer option. I've run a few qualifying stakes, but I've got clients who want me to run hunt tests. This was a topic of discussion this last weekend at the test I was at. There are some who insist that the only way some pros are getting a bunch of dogs in while others can't get one is they're hiring someone who has a service which can enter robotically and defeat the CAPTCHA system. I don't know, but it can't be luck, not when I'll be 22 on the waitlist in 20 seconds.

·
Registered
10 Posts
As a hunt test judge that is giving up at least 3 weekends this summer to judge, and has a Master level dog ready to roll, it is frustrating to say the least to not be able to get into tests. I am not always able to sit at my computer at the time the test opens. The test I was going to enter last week ( although I areas knew would be a futile attempt ) was full with 31 on the waitlist within minutes after opening.
1) Workers codes are somewhat of a joke. Many that ask for them don't really work. They say they will but want the easier less demanding jobs. Most will not load, or are not physically able to load, a winger. Many HT chairs give them out to who they know and not based on what they can contribute. I know because I chair hunt tests as well and deal with that process every year.
2) Entering a slew of dogs is the same as buying up all the toilet paper. It's saying "f" you, I have a job to do or my situation is just more important than. yours. It's hoarding of a different kind. I love the pros in my area. Many are friends and I know they have a job to do, but at whose expense? The amateur set aside was put in place to help with this issue. What is didn't account for is the amateurs with lots of dogs that just aren't pros. Just like the grocery store that limited how many rolls of TP your could buy, Hunt tests need to somehow limit how many dogs you can enter in the first 24 hours, period. Since people won't work together to solve the problem, then you need to do what you need to do.
3) There is definitely a technology to scam the system. Take a look at the entries and your area for the past year's tests. Same people getting in with tons of dogs? Yep. Not statistically possible.
4) We are seeing more mid-week Master tests pop up in our area. Maybe that will help some but I honestly think you could have one every day here and they would fill.
5) MNRC and MARC seem like great events and I hope to run one someday. But they have created the monster and are the root of the problem you are seeing now. Needing to requalify every year is just plain stupid and puts the strain on the entire system. Until that is fixed those chasing titles will always be impacted by those chasing plates.

·
Registered
7,298 Posts
Is the am set aside mandatory? I don't think so. The reason some pros are able to enter multiple dogs is internet speed. For instance my internet speed is pretty slow compared to the speed when I visit Best Buy and upload a video.
Also if you save all you information on Google the entering process goes much quicker.
Recently my son, for the first time ever, successfully entered his dog in a master test. He is not particularly computer wise but followed the instructions I gave him.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
True, but there is now a mandatory 25-35% set aside for amateurs which exacerbates the problem.
I did not expect that the rule would help. How is it making things worse?

I've run a few qualifying stakes, but I've got clients who want me to run hunt tests.
I do not blame pros for the problem. Few if any clubs could fill a 66 dog master without pros entering.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts