RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Esprit's Out of the Woods ???

6K views 20 replies 14 participants last post by  robco 
#1 ·
I've seen Tiger in a lot of pedigrees and he was apparently a heck of a sire and I would imagine a heck of a dog. Just curious as to why he never titled? Also curious as to the qualities that made him so desirable as a stud even though he was not titled (I know the title does not make the dog but it is rare to see). I certainly don't want anything bad said about anyone's dog but it is something I've wondered for quite some time and no one I know has been able to answer. PM if you prefer.

#4 ·
I've seen Tiger in a lot of pedigrees and he was apparently a heck of a sire and I would imagine a heck of a dog. Just curious as to why he never titled? Also curious as to the qualities that made him so desirable as a stud even though he was not titled (I know the title does not make the dog but it is rare to see). I certainly don't want anything bad said about anyone's dog but it is something I've wondered for quite some time and no one I know has been able to answer. PM if you prefer.
Have you ever looked at Tiger's pedigree...it's impressive...He has 17 Titled offspring, and 5 Titled siblings (littermate to FC AFC Candlewoods Rita Reynolds, and is a full brother to FC AFC Creek Robber)

I am biased because we had a female named Kate (lost her last summer to cancer) ...and she might have been one of the straightest lining dogs I have had the pleasure of training with and hunting along side...She was also a very good marker....

Tiger dogs can mark...and they are good to above average lining dogs YMMV

#5 ·
My trainer's were friends with Tiger's orignial owner who was a paraplegic. He was the pick of the litter but due to her limitations and his extreme loyalty to her was not trialed very much. I have two girls from him and a daughter of Ammo and Tubb that are fantastic and absolutely gorgeous. I also am planning a breeding with him and my Mickey (Hockley Creek's Switch Hitter) daughter this fall and will definitely keep at least one of the puppies.

#6 ·
Tiger was an impressive high powered dog who had an Open win but issues associated with the type of dog he was left him short of the points for his FC. Your information was incorrect as he was campaigned extensively.

#10 ·
What would you like to know about Tiger? I owned him and trained him. He was sold to John & Martha Russell. He placed 2nd in an open a couple of months out of the Derby. I take the blame for campaigning him too young. He developed a control problem at field trials that eventually became his demise. He taught me a lot about the danger of breaking out a young super talented dog too early. He was one of my favorite dogs of all time. He was more talented than 1/2 of the FC AFC’s I ever trained. I would have managed him differently if I could do it all over. I think we all have things that we wish we could have a “Do Over”. Tiger is that for me.

#14 ·
I would have not attempted to run and progress him as fast. Since then I have been associated with some young talented dogs that either placed or won a trial before they were ready to compete at that level. It’s easy to all of the sudden, treat that dog as a seasoned all-age dog. They are the same dog they were the week before they had a great weekend. Many dogs place early out of naiveness not from a true understanding. It’s easy to overload that young dog. Thanks for a great question!

#15 ·
And there numerous examples of that and most if not all you have known by association with their owners. Gizmo and Cord come to mind but then there are the ones like Cody and Otus who never missed a beat.

#16 ·
On a related note, how do you determine which can progress and which should be progressed more slowly. If I understood Ed's comment, what is the observable difference between Cody vs Gizmo that let Cody succeed while Gizmo needed a slower trajectory? Can you tell easily, or is the difference subtle? Signs of too much pressure (mental) in your dog?

#17 ·
If with a pro they usually have a finger on the pulse of the dog's level. Keep building on training and working issues out. Not over training.
Another early bloomer that had issues later on was Chavez.

Jeff

#19 · (Edited)
I’m changing my post to focus on the topic of Tiger, Esprit’s Out Of The Woods. Here is her pedigree She is an unbelievable Marking dog weighing 46lbs she is very trainable, but tough. Only wants to get to the Marks, doesn’t want you to tell her what to do on the Line, in her mind, she’s doesn’t need your help. Very quiet at home, very intense in the Field. We will not be running any more Field Trials and we are focusing more on Handling Drills, Wagon Wheel and Poison Bird Blinds. Her nickname is the Hell Cat. Callname Yetti

#21 ·
I never got to watch tiger run in his day but I bred my girl I had to him in 17, she was out of FC AFC Bent Tail and a female that was out of Patton and Rita Reynolds and she was a talented sweet heart of a dog. Maybe half of the people that bought those pups knew who he was and I recently had puppies from the female that I kept and only 1 person who got those puppies had heard of him. Maybe its just showing my age but its good to see the nice dogs still remembered.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.