RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back ground: a friend and I both have dogs running in Master Hunt tests. We both hunt with our dogs, were the dogs have more freedom, once released, to
hunt for birds shot. Our dogs soon learn that birds shot arre sometimes swimming away from where they fall. The dogs also figure out that if they hunt around, and sometimes a long distance from the fall area they find the bird. In the Senior level tests the marks where usually far enough apart
that this wasnt a problem. In the Master tests the marks are closer together and sometimes there an area heavily sented where a blind was placed near the fall area of a mark. How do you develop a good hunting pattern that will be effective at these tests, that wont be too far out of the area. Cant be too hard on the dogs for being great hunting dogs. Just want to tighten up the hunt.

·
Registered
5,248 Posts
Dirt clod drills are often good for this.

Evan

·
Registered
449 Posts
I believe thats what we refer to as the dirt clod drill. Do a search on this here and I bet you find what you are looking for. Basicly you throw a dirt clod as a mark send your dog and when it is leaving the area of the fall you simply throw a bumper in its place when the dog is leaving the area. Handle the dog back the area and bingo he finds the bumper. This is to promote a longer hunt in the area of the fall. I may not be correct in the total proccess but you get the meaning I believe. Do the search. Maybe others have something else in mind.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts