RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Eukanuba/Pro Plan

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was feeding Pro Plan puppy large breed to my Lab pup, I started feeding him High Pro a few weeks ago but after reading some of the other posts I am wondering if I should put him back on puppy food. He will be 6mn March 1st. I have been seeing some posts where people seem to be having problems with the Pro Plan puppy food so I thought I would see what people on here thought was better and why you think so. This is my first Lab and since some of them have hip trouble I'm wanting to do what I can to help that no be a problem.
I know this has been beat to death and I tried a search but could find anything that helped.
Thanks
I know there are a lot of other feeds but these two and Iams are what is here around me. I feed Diamond to my other dogs but have never liked their puppy food.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Hi-Pro is not a Premium food. Avoid soy.

Stick with ProPlan or Euk or any premium food for the life of the dog.

We feed puppy for about the first seven months, then switch to adult.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I use eukanuba and keep my pups on it till they turn a year old before switching to adult food

·
Registered
844 Posts
I have always used Euk Large Breed Puppy for at least a year. Then Euk Performance.

·
Registered
24 Posts
We have 2 puppies , we feed them Pro Plan Large breed puppy, I have 6 adult dogs, I feed them Adult Pro Plan (lamb & rice). They are all labradors. I have never had any problems with any of my dogs.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I didn't vote, we use Euk Medium breed puppy until 8-9 mos old then switch to Euk performance.

·
Registered
52 Posts
my pup (now 1 yr) ate the pro plan performance 30/20 from the time she wes weened. My understanding was that the reason for feeding puppy food was that it had a higher protein/fat content than regular adult food. The pro plan performance mix has even more than puppy food.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Pup feed

:D Michael, I see you feed Diamond. I do too. I use the Green Bag feed for all but the real high energy dogs of mine including the pups. I have ,knock on wood, never had a pup that had any growing problems or has failed to pass OFA. I do keep them LEAN though. Just my .02 cents worth...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I messed up my poll. I meant to have a Eukanuba Large Breed Puppy one to pick also.

I am not going to use the Hi Pro any more I don't like it. One of my hounds has lost a lot of weight on the Hi Pro and I haven't even been feeeding it that long. I think I will go back to Diamond High Energey for my grown dogs.

I'm just looking for the best feed for my Lab pup to help prevent any hip or other problems when he is older.

I guess my main question is does anyone know anything bad about the Pro Plan Puppy food since that is what I had him on before I was thinking of going back to it unless something else is better.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I used ProPlan Large Breed Puppy for 6 months. Then, when he went to the pro trainer, he switched to Eukanuba Maintenance. He look great at a year old now.

Scott

S

·
0 Posts
Michael what do u not like about diamond puppy feed i feed mine large breed diamond

·
Registered
166 Posts
I have wondered about this for awhile now. I have heard from vets that say its bad to feed puppy food to lab for to long because they grow to fast and have a greater chance of CHD, and my vet suggested that I stop feeding puppy food after about three months of age. I swtiched to pedigree adult formula, I know you all will probably disagree with this choice but for a college kid I have to also think about price. I have been feeding adult food with a mix of puppy food, also pedigree in a 2:1 mix adult to puppy just because I don't think that the adult food has enough nutrients for a growing dog. Is this a bad idea should I still be feeding puppy food, she is 16 weeks old. She looks good and is right on weight and growing up well. Is this theory have and validity?

Scott

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Scooter the pups didn't want to eat it. But that was quite a few years ago could have just been a bad bag. I might give it a try again the more I think about. I have always had good luck with Diamond with my grow dogs.

·
Registered
7,700 Posts
newlabguy said:
I have wondered about this for awhile now. I have heard from vets that say its bad to feed puppy food to lab for to long because they grow to fast and have a greater chance of CHD, and my vet suggested that I stop feeding puppy food after about three months of age. I swtiched to pedigree adult formula, I know you all will probably disagree with this choice but for a college kid I have to also think about price. I have been feeding adult food with a mix of puppy food, also pedigree in a 2:1 mix adult to puppy just because I don't think that the adult food has enough nutrients for a growing dog. Is this a bad idea should I still be feeding puppy food, she is 16 weeks old. She looks good and is right on weight and growing up well. Is this theory have and validity?
The puppy should get the puppy food until most of it's growth is finished. If the calories and protein are too low, check Pedigrees values, the pup will be hungry, eat more of the adult food, and the food will have the incorrect percentage of calcium, so he will consume more calcium than necessary which may cause CHD. Cutting on the nutrition can=more vet bills in the end.

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
My two "puppies" are just about 15 months old and are still on ProPlan Large Breed puppy food. When/if :wink: spring gets here I will switch them over to ProPlan Performance.

Andy

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
newlabguy said:
my vet suggested that I stop feeding puppy food after about three months of age..... Is this theory have (any) validity?
The puppy should get the puppy food until most of it's growth is finished. If the calories and protein are too low, check Pedigrees values, the pup will be hungry, eat more of the adult food, and the food will have the incorrect percentage of calcium, so he will consume more calcium than necessary which may cause CHD. Cutting on the nutrition can=more vet bills in the end.[/quote]

Your vet gave you some BAD advice. Erins explains why. I take you didn't read the link in an above post, here it is again.
www.ilovemypet.com/jackart.html

·
Registered
7,411 Posts
and one more

·
Registered
69 Posts
Euk LB Puppy until about 12.5 months, then to Euk PP aka Sporting PP

·
Registered
849 Posts
Everyone will have their own idea of what diet is best, and of course everyone else is wrong.

We put our dogs on pro-Plan adult from day one (most of which are born here so that means starting at 4 week)

The reason for this is simple:
This is "happy" CH SweetBreez Sieze The Day
http://www.sweetbreezbeagles.com/HappyGreeley_012.jpg
She won three 4 point Majors from the 6-9 puppy class on her first weekend out

This is "Sophie" Seventhson's Shotgun Sophie
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2083/1830668883_1f8f758729.jpg?v=0
She has been in two shows so far and has two Majors

So that simple reason is ,,,,,,, THEY WIN,,,,,,

1 - 20 of 21 Posts