RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple months ago I had to put my old dog down. When I called the vet to make the appointment the girl asked if I was going to go into the procedure with the dog. When I asked why she said that if I was going to be in the room with my dog they had to start an IV but if I was not going in then they did not. At the time I did not ask why but have been wondering why they would do that based on whether I was in the room or not. Any body know why?

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I was in with my girl when it was done. I would think it's so you could say one final goodbye. The vet asked me and my wife if we were ready before pushing the plunger. It was a very emotional time.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
I have lost many critters over my lifetime. I have always been present and I have NEVER seen them start an I.V.

Meredith

G

·
MY vets start an IV if we are going to be with them I was told it was for pain and to calm them down. If you were not going to be in there they would not use it. We have always been with them.

·
Registered
54 Posts
They will opt to put a IV cath in if the owner is going to present during the procedure to make it easier on you. If they miss the vein on the first poke they don't want your last memory of your dog being stuck over and over to gain IV access.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I've been with my dogs when being put down. An IV was never started and it was a very sad but peaceful passing.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Sounds like some Vets may or may not do this. I've been with 4-5 of my dogs and with various Vets and have never had them start an IV. So far only one dog has had a problem. She fought it and the Vet had to inject her twice with 2 full doses. Was not fun to be there at all.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
They will opt to put a IV cath in if the owner is going to present during the procedure to make it easier on you. If they miss the vein on the first poke they don't want your last memory of your dog being stuck over and over to gain IV access.

Makes perfect sense

·
Registered
278 Posts
I can see why they do it, I just had to put one down 2 weeks ago and no IV was used or did they say anything about using one.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I had two of my best Labs put down been there when it was done, the second time I wish I had not been there my Shadow looked up at me then licked my face and closed her eyes and the Vet said she gone. I broke down never again I will say my good bye's and leave

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
I will always be there. He is my dog and it is the least i can do for him. The last thing he will see is my loyalty to him. I have been there for my other dogs and it is tuff but death is never easy. Murray is 12 1/2 and I am prepared to do right be him. He will not be with strangers in his last moments. He is my dog.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
I will always be there. He is my dog and it is the least i can do for him. The last thing he will see is my loyalty to him. I have been there for my other dogs and it is tuff but death is never easy. Murray is 12 1/2 and I am prepared to do right be him. He will not be with strangers in his last moments. He is my dog.
Likewise...for me it is part of the deal I make with every puppy I've ever had and I would feel that I was abandoning my dog if I was not there at the end. I do understand that it is an intensely personal choice.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I was there for all but one. The one I did not go back with, I had already lost it because it was very unexpected. I was in no condiction to be with anyone.

·
Registered
336 Posts
At my practice we place IV catheters for every single euthanasia,they are placed after sedation. It is just a more peaceful and easier passing for everyone,no missed veins no poking the animal.It is the hardest thing we go through as animal lovers to come to that decision so we do everything we can to make it as peaceful as possible, we have a seperate room and try to minimize the amount of people they will have to see on the way in or out.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Well said Mike. I feel that I owe it to them. That being said I understand that's not for everyone. We prefer to have the vet come out to our place instead of bringing the dog to the clinic and they have never used an IV. Timber went with his last flyer in his mouth. Morgan is 12.5 and if possible that's how she'll go.

Terry

·
Registered
379 Posts
Firstly, I am sorry for your loss, saying goodbye is never easy. Having lost several buddies over the years; unfortunately, the tough part of having these guys in your life, is knowing when and letting go when the time comes. While there's no "text book case" vets, in my opinion, should always use an I.V. catheter for the injection, if they don't, compose yourself and ask for one, also something to relax your dog. Having had a dog euthanized that was in bad shape and the vet didn't use a catheter, it was an experience I wouldn't wish on anyone, so much so, I switched vets because the experience shattered my confidence in him as a vet.

I'm always with my animals when they're put down, they give us so much, I have to be there for them in that final moment no matter how difficult. Some good and thoughtful posts in this thread.

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
Having had a dog euthanized that was in bad shape and the vet didn't use a catheter, it was an experience I wouldn't wish on anyone, so much so I switched vets because the experience shattered my confidence in him as a vet

I've never had a stressful euthanasia and I've gone through many. I discussed the ramifications of the relaxing injection and had the vet say just let me try and it was peaceful. I think what we are dealing with is technique and the vet getting fully in the vein so the full dose of the blue juice doesn't infiltrate in the tissues instead of going cleanly in the vein. From years of experience I know that Doctors and Vets are not always as good at this procedure as the surgical technicians so they use an IV or catheter. It helps if the vet was a phlebotomist before they went to vet school or just very good with the needle as sick dogs are often not the easiest to get a clean stick. It's the expertise of the Vet and not the method.

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
It could also be so that you are prepared for the fact that it happens much quicker than you might expect. I remember the first time I went in with a dog to be put down, I was amazed at how quickly the dog passed once given the injection

·
Registered
977 Posts
I had a poor experience with euthanasia once. They did not use an IV. I had said my goodbyes and was holding my dog, I was ready. The vet apparently fumbled the stick... it was the only time that dog ever tried to bite someone, and it was 30 seconds before she died. I still feel bad about that one.

Next time we have to go through that, I'm going to do my best to have it done at home, with an IV.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts