RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Another stinking weekend because I am a long way from my dog. This weekend I got real time updates from Mom and Dad. Most weekends I rely on the Internet.

9 clubs had trials this weekend; all had threads. Some threads are more active than others. Sacramento only had 2 replies and the only update, started the thread (pretty week.) Yet it had over 500 views. Many of those views were from the same person, so maybe 50 or 100 individuals. That’s a lot of people who are hoping to follow the dogs. Cimmeron had over 3,500 views!

I often follow 2 or 3 trials. After updating the Event Information page, I check for new replies, then look for updates. Often the reply is “any updates?” Curiously, an update may be forth coming! Are there people logged in who only post what they know after they are asked for it?

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Cimmeron, you mentioned Cimmeron????????.

Hey just noticed one of Bucks daughters won the qual.

Talking about far far far away, Funkie one of my girls had her ultrasound this afternoon. She is pregnant to Buck!!! Look at far his semen travelled!!

Life is so good!!!

·
Registered
6,378 Posts
Are there people logged in who only post what they know after they are asked for it?
Of course there are. What's really annoying (To me.) is the same very few people who will get pissy about updates when there's nothing to mention. Then somebody will post full or partial callbacks/results. If it's partial, the same few get all pissy about not getting all. When total Callbacks/results are posted, the same few will congratulate only certain folks & never thank the messenger(s). Now I'm with you on not posting all you know, but gosh damn. Sometimes those very few should get info from their pro or somebody they know, or better yet, go to a FT & post updates instead of bitching about everything.

·
Registered
890 Posts
What gets me is when people gripe about getting the numbers only and not the names. Are you kidding me? I'm thankful to get anything and don't expect someone who is busy at a trial to spell out the dog's name, owner's name, handler's name, yada, yada. I've seen this complaint a few times recently and had to bite my tongue not to respond. Thanks to all that take the time to post anything they have, whether it be partials, numbers, what have you. I certainly appreciate it and others should too.

·
Registered
7,749 Posts
Most pros only relate to their clients what the client did or what their clients did. If you ask them who won they don't know which dog, maybe the handler. That is not their job. The only time you can be assured of getting updates is to contact someone from the club or someone running before the trial and get their cell, but then some areas don't have cell service, the workers are busy and not near the callbacks, or maybe they bomb out and don't stay at the trial. What is your point other than it annoys you that you can't get results? Do you have a plan?

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No Nancy, it doesn't annoy me. I do not spend my life on forums like some people. I'm wondering why someone would wait to be asked before they post updates. And don't believe for a moment a pro does't know who won

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Dewitt,
I agree with you. But hey, to each his own.

I know that when my dog is at a trial and I am not, I always appreciate it very much when people post updates.

Therefore, when I am at a trial, I try to post any updates I get because I know there are alot of people who are really interested.

The only pro that I know that posts updates is Jiggy. And it is very much appreciated.

G

·
No Nancy, it doesn't annoy me. I do not spend my life on forums like some people. I'm wondering why someone would wait to be asked before they post updates. And don't believe for a moment a pro does't know who won
That was not a terribly polite post.

Do you think those of us who might get text updates from our pro about our personal dogs are going to pick up the phone and call them for all the placements so we can post here?

That being said, there are some amateur significant others who post results only when their dogs place and we know darn well that the handler running those dogs knows all the placements and neither of them care to share that information.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Another stinking weekend because I am a long way from my dog. This weekend I got real time updates from Mom and Dad. Most weekends I rely on the Internet.

9 clubs had trials this weekend; all had threads. Some threads are more active than others. Sacramento only had 2 replies and the only update, started the thread (pretty week.) Yet it had over 500 views. Many of those views were from the same person, so maybe 50 or 100 individuals. That’s a lot of people who are hoping to follow the dogs. Cimmeron had over 3,500 views!

I often follow 2 or 3 trials. After updating the Event Information page, I check for new replies, then look for updates. Often the reply is “any updates?” Curiously, an update may be forth coming! Are there people logged in who only post what they know after they are asked for it?

I understand your point, but I think you might be trying to herd cats.

Getting folks to do stuff is hard.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Do you think those of us who might get text updates from our pro about our personal dogs are going to pick up the phone and call them for all the placements so we can post here?

No Melanie, I do not expect you to call your pro or go out of your way in any fashion, that is your prerogative. I am not complaining about the lack of people posting results or asking why more people don’t post. The fact that there are people unwilling to post is fine, I understand. An explanation of why some people don’t post is irrelevant.

Ted Shih posted this week that the Derby hadn’t started the final series yet, but unchacteristically gave no callbacks. Ted was probably at another stake, found out Miss Kitty was back and texted on his way to the Derby. That effort is appreciated. Again not the issue.

There are a host of people who post if there is information available “ any updates?” and the update comes shortly after the request. This information comes so closely following the request, it seems likely they are responding to that inquiry. Judging from the sheer number of views on each thread on the Event Information forum, there is obviously a great deal of interest out there. So why do some people feel it necessary to wait and be asked for information before they post? Why not voluntarily post the information as soon as they get it?

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
I know a couple people always post information of the trial they are at. It is appreciated. If they are not at the trial you are looking for, you don't get much information.

Some club members post information for their trials. It is appreciated.

Most people don't or can't post information for the trial they are at. Some post when they get home, if they go home during the trial.

I guess some people know and only post if someone is asking.

I'll take whatever I can get. Sometimes it means waiting until the information is posted on Entry Express. Which is still better than waiting until it's in the Retriever News.

G

·
No Melanie, I do not expect you to call your pro or go out of your way in any fashion, that is your prerogative.
D, I appreciate the fact that you can spell prerogative which few people can so I'll give you that :), but your tone in this whole thread is a bit snotty. "Go out of your way in any fashion." What does that mean?

I think you may be overestimating the timing of people asking for results and the correlation with results being posted. Didn't you yourself say this: "I do not spend my life on forums like some people." Maybe people at trials every weekend don't either?

Look at my earlier post and I backed you up by mentioning the amateur handlers who call in to folks at home but only report on their own dogs. I'm with ya, but let's not overdo it.

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
Tempest!

isnt that a pontiac???

peragative!

I dont even know what that is!! isnt it a greek samich?

Gooser

I always foller the trials Ed runs in!!! I like that Hoolandaise dog a his!!

Gooser

·
Registered
8,615 Posts
Ahhh, I thought the word was purgative! Thanks Gooser.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Your right Ed, but more like a zephyr in a shot glass.

I was just trying to highlight some of the trifling generalities found on the Event forum every weekend (I have several others.)

I guess I over estimated how much fun this thread might be. I picked up the wrong fork in the road and tried to herd cats. I should have followed the lead of Jacob, Brian and the Dead Head, they had the spirit. But no, I became annoyed and had no plan. I was rude and didn’t understand the way of professional dog trainers.

I just suck at this forum thing. That being said, I’m not sure I even know what I really mean.

I think it best I go back to posting only on the Event Info forum. Trying to beat out the other half dozen people around here who try to post call backs and results first. We are, after all, pretty competitive around this neck of the woods.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts