RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Ever have a tie on at a field test/trial?

• I have worn a tie

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have seen others wear a tie

• I will never wear a tie

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
12,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few seasons back I was at a field test in NH. At the Timber doodle club's grounds. A club member stopped by and observed a was wearing a tie. I remember because it was odd, I thought :? . Now a couple weeks ago I won Dr. Starkloff's book on EBay. I hope I didn't snipe it away from a RTF member. The first few pages are old photos from the 50's and early 60's field trials. More than a few men are wearing neck ties. Ever wear a tie to a trial? Fortunately for me it will never be an issue as I have no neck :lol: .
Ken Bora

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Jim Latimore has been know to wear a tie at trials. I guess he's not a trendsetter because it didn't seem to catch on. Maybe he's just way behind his time :wink:

John

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Is it bad that I thought this thread was about an "accident" between two dogs of the opposite sex at a trial??? :shock:

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
achiro said:
Is it bad that I thought this thread was about an "accident" between two dogs of the opposite sex at a trial??? :shock:
That makes two of us! :shock:

Andy

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
You all have dirty dirty minds. :D :D

I thought the thread was about a run off, for first place.

·
Registered
708 Posts
I thought it read, did you ever tie one on at a field trial... :wink: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
I wore a vest and tie to the Sooner trial last fall............ but i went there straight from work. I get pimped out for work.

There's an old saying... don't dress for the job you HAVE.. dress like you have more money than you really do. Or something like that.

Shayne

·
Banned
3,611 Posts
I remember Jay Sweezey comenting that Clint Swingle was the only one who removed his hat when they shot pictures of the finalists for the National Amateur for the Field Trial News.

·
Registered
844 Posts
thunderdan said:
I thought it read, did you ever tie one on at a field trial... :wink: :lol: :lol:
Oh, Dan - a man after my own heart - and to think we already have siblings! :)

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Ties were not uncommon in the 60's. The dress code was different. People wore both both conventional ties and bolo ties along with twead and /or corduroy jackets. Most people will not remember but Louise Belmont used a tailor made white formal white dinner jacket as a handling coat!

Tim

·
Registered
52 Posts
Andy Carlson said:
achiro said:
That makes two of us! :shock:

Andy
Me three!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Where are all of the retriever enthusiasts from the other side of the pond? I thought they would be all over this thread.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
We had a judge show up wearing one, and he got ribbed for it all day.

But he took it in stride, and still had it on when the day was over.

It was obviously done with purpose.

·
Registered
7,657 Posts
I see nothing wrong with it. I think it shows respect for the game and the people. The person with the tie on is saying this is a little more important than just a day in the field with the dogs. This is an EVENT.

Now, don't ask me to wear one.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Maybe we could make a formal "dress code" for Field Trials. Think about it. When Shayne gets a club up and running in Arkansas, he can require that handlers wear "Arkansas Formal" aka Straw hats, girlie bead necklaces, jammie shorts, and flip flops, and shades optional. Chaps..mandatory.

Other regions may opt for something a little different.

I think this MIGHT help with the large entries.

John

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
I think it also conveys some subconscious messages of power -- "I am in charge here; I will be respected, etc."

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
John Gassner said:
Other regions may opt for something a little different.

I think this MIGHT help with the large entries.

John
Too funny!!!

What would the ladies be required to wear?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts