RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Combo Land and Water Marks.

First bird down is across a pond (60-75 yds) on the bank in some tall grass.

Then you turn to the left almost 180 degrees and a bird is thrown from right to left (back) maybe 90-110 yards. Further to the left, 3rd bird is thrown left to right (back) 60-75 yds. Both of these are on land.

Dog is sent for short land bird.Excellent mark and dog gives indication of looking at water mark as it comes in. Dumb Handler actually believes the dog and sends for the water mark. Dog says "No way, I'm gonna go get that other land mark" and does a 180 and heads for the second land mark. Handler immediately blurts out a command that sure sounded to me like "NO damn you, Heel". Dog responded very well.

Handler then sends for the water mark again. Dog goes but decides it might be fun to just get out of the water and chase a butterfly or something just to see how red the handlers face would get.

For some reason the handler seemed to be quite upset with the dog at this point and I truly believe the only reason he was not strung up was because of a slight speech impediment that perhaps made it some what difficult for the Judges to actually understand the words he was using.

Handler said not only had he never seen the dog "do that before" but additionally had "never seen ANY damn dog do that before".

He was somewhat calmer when he got to my Grand Daughter's Wedding this afternoon. :D :D :D

Jerry

·
Registered
9,379 Posts
HAHAHAHEHE

I CAN relate!!

Glad to hear though you were able to clam down!! :lol:

Gooser

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
Jerry, I've seen that happen many times and even had it happen a few - minus the grandaughter's wedding (she's going to be 1 year old next month) and the slight speech impediment. When I heard all that happen, I couldn't figure out what could have happened because I couldn't see, being that I was planting the blind. I just figured that handler wanted to make sure he wasn't late to that big event!

p.s. Sara ran a nice first series!
Tell us about that Wedding!!!

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Ha! Jerry you've seen me mess u... ...er, run a dog! And those diversion butterflies will get you every time! :wink:

Congrats on the wedding Granpa!!

M

·
Registered
987 Posts
I can think of several times I heard or uttered those words -- like when my old YLF devoured three LARGE pizzas in barely enough time to say "I've never..." -- Tammy was left alone in the same room as three freshly delivered pizzas and like I said GONE IN A BLINK OF AN EYE -- certainly Lee W had never seen any thing like it

·
Registered
844 Posts
It must have something to do with the handler you're talking about.

I was running a dog (or, rather, he was running around for no reason) with this same handler judging. It is an uncanny coincidence, because I had never seen him do that!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
7,268 Posts
All I really want to know is, did ya get yer pass? :D

·
Registered
3,556 Posts
Many years ago when I was in the harness horse business there were many opportunites to meet some real characters. One of my favorites was an old horse trader named Bud. When a horse was too slow, too lame to race any more, or not paying his way.......it was a business and that horse had to go. So the last page in the training manual had Bud "the horse trader's" phone number. He would pick up any horse.

He'd turn a profit by selling it to another trainer who might find the key. He had an Amish market that loved the slow race horses because they were well broke and pulled a wagon with style. Some people just wanted a horse in the pasture to look at or ride once in awhile. The last choice you don't want to know about.

Anyway the story goes that old Bud sold this horse to another character one day. The next night Bud gets a phone call which finds him again in a situation of making excuses for a sale.

"You know that dang, worthless horse you sold me yesterday? He dropped over dead today". Now Bud was always clever about getting out of his horse deals and knew every trick in the trade, but this was a classic. "Yeeker Crik.......he never did that before!" :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
86 Posts
Many years ago, I remember a handler uttering those words; "I never saw her do that before!", and long-time trainer and judge Ray Koskinen replying "That's what the farmer said when his cow died".

·
Registered
987 Posts
Kwiklabs,
I was in the harness horse game myself for a while years ago -- figured if I could train dogs why not horses -- although it was hard to get a ladder up beside them so I could put my hand down and say "Back, Dead Bird, Way Back" which never really seemed to work any way -- seriously I loved your story about Bud -- I met a lot of characters in the harness horse game -- maybe even met Bud -- thanks for sharing

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Heard this one; could be true I dunno, I wasn't there:
local fellow up here is running his dog on a land series, on the way back in from a retrieve his dog just keels over dead. With little time for sentiment he turns to his judges and says "never seen him do that in training!"

1 - 13 of 13 Posts