RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Have you ever snuck a dog into a hotel that doesn't allow it?

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many have snuck a dog into a hotel?

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
Yup, last fall when we got tired of no showers after hurricane Isabel (we had a generator but couldn't get our well pump hooked to it). We got a room at the local HoJo's and snuck the dogs in--didnt' feel the slightest bit guilty about it because they were charging rip off rates. Whenever I've gone on planned trips with the dogs though I find hotels where they are welcome.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I had my dog in my room while in Canada, and someone broke into the room through the glass door. Scared the crap out of them when the stepped on a sleeping 95lb black Lab. Took me a little while to actually figure out what happened, but I'm glad I had him in the room 'cause who knows what could have happened.

·
Registered
6,461 Posts
Yep. Do it all the time. Gets hard when it's over two. I try to stay at hotels that allow them, though. Look for outside doors on hotels, etc.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
I don't know about the rest of you, but we are finding fewer and fewer motels that allow dogs. :(

·
Registered
10 Posts
It is getting harder and harder to find motels that accept dogs but that is alot of the dog owners fault. :roll:

I have on occassion when no other choice done the don't ask/don't tell thing but...I travel with crates, sheet to cover motel, bed and clean up after my and every other dog that graced the grounds with poop too.(I do this at the motels that accept dogs too!)

·
Registered
22 Posts
I had just gotten back from OEF and we were on vacation. On our way back, we stopped at this hotel in Kentucky, I'm pretty sure it was the Dumpy Roach Inn. It was run by an old Haji guy. He saw the kennel in the back of the truck and asked if we had dogs. I told him we'd leave her in the truck(obviously we didn't). On our way out the next day, I look out, and he's pacing back and forth in front of our door!! I had to go outside and distract him while Alex put her on the lead and they ran to the gas station next door.

Crazy old man!!

Davin

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
the best sneak job ever was performed by my wife. She was staying in one of those places with no outside doors and her room was on the second floor. To reach her room she had to go through the lobby, by the front desk to the stairs. They had one of those menancing "NO PETS ALLOWED" signs in the lobby.

Our No. 1 JRT (Snoopy) has never been left in the dog truck at night, so Judy unpacked her small duffle bag, took it downstairs to the truck, stuffed Snoopy inside, zipped it close, and told him to be quiet.

She then walked into the lobby and upstairs to her room and Snoopy never tattled on her :D

·
Registered
50 Posts
Stretch and I have done it and NEVER felt guilty about it. If you think about it, our retrievers are more well-behaved than most kids.
I like the idea of never bringing it up. That way, you can always say, "Gee Mr. Hotel Butthead, I didn't know. Oh, ok. That's what that sign on the door meant!" :lol:

·
Registered
220 Posts
Done it a few times, felt guilty (but then I feel guilty about everything). I agree with Rob, our dogs are cleaner than a lot of the adults who stay in those rooms.

So how many of you sneaky people have been busted? What happened?

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Ok... he's my story of sneaking my dogs into the Hotel in Searcy a couple weeks ago.

Cute little hotel chick asked if i was with the "dog club" and i said yes... she asked if i had dogs, i said why? She said there was a $10/night/dog fee. I explained that i didn't have any dogs that she would ever see. Then gave her one of these :wink: and played it 8) . She then explained that MY room (the only room available) was right next to the lobby, then added that she would close her eyes if necessary. I said that would be great. Aired my dogs then had them sit outside the lobby door and i poked my head in and said "now would be a good time to close your eyes". Let me preface this with saying that my dogs LOVE hotels and they are soooo excited to be there. So i opened the door and said "ok". The machodawg and the Buddy the Fat Lazy Beagle dawg took off into that lobby like banchees. Buddy is screaming his little fat lazy beagle heart out and Bailey is trying to build up speed on the slick floor.

So here we have Buddy running in circles and howling in the lobby by the couch/TV area and just as Bailey hits top speed he finds himself on the area rug and notices the chick behind the counter. He attempted to hit the breaks but his momentum on that rug had other ideas. He goes FLYING accross the lobby about 25 ft and slams into the wall. Fighting for traction again and shoots the rug out from under him and takes off down the hall... first open door wins.

Meanwhile, Buddy the Beagle is still running all over the place howling and i'm trying to get the key out to open my door. I get it open, Buddy runs in - Bailey is 70 yards down the hall running at top speed trying to find "his room" and the girl behind the counter is in tears laughing. I get them both in the room and went back to get more stuff from the truck and the girl had already received 3 complaints about all the noise. HAHAHA

Me and the boys are a lot more stealth when i don't start drinking right when i get to town.

Shayne

·
Registered
323 Posts
Ed Aycock said:
Our No. 1 JRT (Snoopy) has never been left in the dog truck at night, so Judy unpacked her small duffle bag, took it downstairs to the truck, stuffed Snoopy inside, zipped it close, and told him to be quiet.

She then walked into the lobby and upstairs to her room and Snoopy never tattled on her :D
LOL, Dr. Ed, when I was in college, I had a cocker spaniel, I trained him to enter a back pack or laundry basket upon command for this very reason. He lived with me in the dorm for a while...until I moved out.

Cray

·
Registered
173 Posts
Here's a handy tip to avoid conflict with the hotel manager/staff--a pleasant note with a $5 positioned conspicuously on the T.V. when the cleaning staff cleans your room each day of the trial/test that reads something like this:

"Dear cleaning staff,
We are sorry that our room is dirtier and more work for you to clean than most of the other rooms. Please accept this small token of our appreciation for your hard work".

We usually get a nice "thank you" written on the note when we get back that evening and we have never had house keeping tell on us whenever we have done this. The room is always cleaned perfectly, too. They have even placed Jamie's toy that is usually in the room on the pillow of one of the beds, kind of like a chocolate at one of the fancy hotels.

·
Registered
8,256 Posts
Emily Faith said:
Here's a handy tip to avoid conflict with the hotel manager/staff--a pleasant note with a $5 positioned conspicuously on the T.V. when the cleaning staff cleans your room each day of the trial/test that reads something like this:

"Dear cleaning staff,
We are sorry that our room is dirtier and more work for you to clean than most of the other rooms. Please accept this small token of our appreciation for your hard work".

We usually get a nice "thank you" written on the note when we get back that evening and we have never had house keeping tell on us whenever we have done this. The room is always cleaned perfectly, too. They have even placed Jamie's toy that is usually in the room on the pillow of one of the beds, kind of like a chocolate at one of the fancy hotels.
That's BRILLIANT! I gotta remember that one!

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
I try to stay where pets are allowed but have done the occassional sneak. Where they require a deposit per dog I always say I just have one dog. Thank goodness all those black dogs look alike!!!!! :wink: :wink:

Andy

·
Registered
549 Posts
I stayed in my truck at hurricane HRC :?
caught a darn cold that I still haven't gotten over

have you ever yelled back to a dog at 200yds while horse

·
Administrator
3,828 Posts
My favorite "no pets" motel/hotel story is:

My FT friend and I were going to an obedience trial in NJ. We had reservations at the Days Inn that we "remembered" had outside doors directly into the rooms. To our surprise, the old motel had been torn down and replaced with a new 4 story lodging :( Luckily, our room was on the first floor.

So, we go in and scope out the place. Only available entrance we could find was right through the main lobby :( Upon checking out our room, we "just happened" to check to see if the windows would open. Sure enough, they were able to be opened, so we took out the screen and laid out our plans to get the dogs in the room.

Since the dogs were accustomed to being sent on jumps, she and I took turns having our dogs jump through the window and into the room :) Worked like a charm both days we were there...hehehehehe

Vicky

1 - 20 of 54 Posts